Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Which vanilla map would have been mindblowing if released in doom2.wad?

what comes into my mind first would be av map20. what would you say?

the map has to be playable with vanilla doom of course.

Eternal Doom map12: Darkdome. Its just outstanding!

All of Back to Saturn X 1&2... just think if that was the iwad of Doom 2... Damm, the comunity will have a hard time trying to made something better.
Also TNT: Revilution and Plutonia Revisited. Just think TNTR map30: Malignata as an last map of a campaing, or map12: Transduction... lord, that maps are awesome.
Those mapset are probably, along with Epic 2, Reverie, and other ones, the best looking mapsets we can see in vanilla compatibility.

Now that i think of it, there is no general consensus of what is the best map of UD/D2. For me, E4M2: Perfect Hatred is one of the best maps of the original games. E3M6: Mt. Erebus is also pretty good. Deepest Reaches and Dead Zone from TNT: Evilution are also pretty good and mindblowing...
I can't tell any one from Plutonia because i only remember two maps, the first and the last... don't know why... :/

Edited by P41R47

First three episodes of A 2002 DooM Odyssey as an Ultimate Doom in 1993, Plutonia 2 as Doom ][ in 1994, fourth episode of ADO2002 as an Ultimate Doom expansion in 1995, and Back To Saturn X Episodes 1,2 acting like Final Doom megawads in 1996.

That's my opinion.

15 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

First three episodes of A 2002 DooM Odyssey as an Ultimate Doom in 1993, Plutonia 2 as Doom ][ in 1994, fourth episode of ADO2002 as an Ultimate Doom expansion in 1995, and Back To Saturn X Episodes 1,2 acting like Final Doom megawads in 1996.

That's my opinion.

No megawads in place of Wraith Corporation duology (Hell 2 Pay / Perdition's Gate)?
In place of those two i will put Revolution! (TVR!) as H2P and probably Scythe as PG.
The first map of Revolution! always blowed my mind. Damm! its a f***ing moving train! I only saw something like that in Blood. It was almost ten years before Eternal made Epic and his insanely good train map.
I almost totally agree with your choice, except that i would put TNT: Revilution in place of Plutonia 2 as i like more atmospheric megawads.

The Darkening Episode 2 would have been awesome as the initial stretch of tech levels - some thematically consistent levels of high quality with custom made textures is what Doom 2 should have been. To this day, the most disappointing aspect of Doom 2 is that the textures weren't made to fit the theme of the game. This makes all the abstract-ness feel even more random.

Maybe any Likka Keranen's map and especially his Map 31 for Requiem.

1 hour ago, Mordeth said:

Imagine the likes of Adelusion or Keranen coming up with the miloconveyor in 1997...

And then Randi would be forced to put a compatibility option for it in ZDoom, ah yes that would have been great.

20 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

And then Randi would be forced to put a compatibility option for it in ZDoom, ah yes that would have been great.

What is the miloconveyor?

4 hours ago, Mordeth said:

Imagine the likes of Adelusion or Keranen coming up with the miloconveyor in 1997...

Iikka came up with several visual tricks that have pretty much never been used in "real" maps to my knowledge. I do know there was one map a while back that used the "deeper water" trick of his to make a whole "underwater" arena, but I can't remember what WAD it is now.

3 hours ago, pc234 said:

Def any suspended in dusk level,

The spaceship at the end of SiD is honestly the coolest thing I've ever seen in a vanilla wad.

8 hours ago, Linguica said:

Iikka came up with several visual tricks that have pretty much never been used in "real" maps to my knowledge. I do know there was one map a while back that used the "deeper water" trick of his to make a whole "underwater" arena, but I can't remember what WAD it is now.

I think you're referring to UNDERWTR found in ikspcial 

God Damm!

Just thinking that REKKER could have been a licenced game back then made me drool.
Those maps! Lord! Heretic best maps looks pale in comparison to almost anymap from REKKER E1.

Romero surely would have put his hands on it.
Imagine to have a completely new game, like Heretic, Hexen and Strife in the original Doom Engine.

Only complain about it is that the E4 is a set of bonus maps. I really wish to see a proper E4 at some point, but with the iwad-ification of this megawad i don't think it could happend anymore.

I wonder if in the original iwads (doom/doom2) there is anything included that exploits an unexpected behavior of the engine they didnt see coming. they could have easily patched it but decided to let the feature in. (e.g.: if they knew SR40, making a gap where you actually have to use SR40 to get there). actually cannot think of an example, maybe that for the icon of sin that the splash of the rocket hits romero very effective sinze vertical distances do not matter for the damage? I only find examples in my head where it is obvious they did not know this feature because maps can be exploited by it (glides, vertical switch press etc.).

of course plutonia includes stuff like dummy players, but I am asking for doom/doom2 where the engine could still be easily changed.

There's that weird glitched water cube above the exit in Bloodfalls, that seems like an intentional use of anomalous renderer behavior.

mBTZPvM.png

Guest Unregistered account

@termrork Apparently the secret exit in Mount Erebus was supposed to be accessed only by using the boost from your rocket explosion.

@Gez oh indeed! it could truly be intentional. but since this was one of the last maps created for doom2, it might also be just sloppyness : / and they did not even see it in playtesting.

@Kapanyo oh yes I forgot that one! thank you! interesting they only put it in this map. I would have no problem in having secrets in doom2 which are only accessible with RJs, or like in pl2.wad map15 with an AVJ :)