Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

The best Doom movie is titled Event Horizon

I've rewatched it years after I first saw it and damn, it's not only better than I remembered - it's also Doom the Movie, the adaptation we deserved. Don't believe me? Well...

The plot is about an experiment with ultra-fast transportation that accidentally takes you to hell. Here, however, it's not some portal on a moon, but an entire ship that enters hell and comes back possessed. Just slap UAC logo somewhere and I'd completely buy it as an official Doom universe thing.

Even though there are no imps or other creatures running around, the atmosphere is incredibly Doom-ish, and some of the interiors are better representations of the first two games' style than the official movies. Seriously, look at it, it's freakin' DOOM:

Spoiler

obraz.png.78ba973f707ac63bfa6638e1d5d8b07a.png

obraz.png.61a01fc123984c1d254aa9fc959d37b8.png

obraz.png.0f7c6a82b52432e98590cb2f7b9a5098.png

And yeah, there are no space marines, but... is that really a bad thing? It's a horror, not an action movie, and perhaps it would be better to do something creative within the license instead of half-assedly trying to recreate the game.

I think this movie succeeds in creating the right atmosphere, it has gorgeous Doom-like visuals, it's bloody as hell but at the same time entertaining, it's not _too_ heavy.

Sure, it has some tonal problems, with creepy scenes followed with cheesy one-liners, but the acting from Sam Neill is SUPERB in general, and the entire thing is very satisfying to watch.

Oh, and if you think this is just a coincidence that Event Horizon shares themes with Doom... They even use the freakin' door opening sound effect from Doom near the beginning. They knew what they were doing.

8 minutes ago, Szuran said:

Oh, and if you think this is just a coincidence that Event Horizon shares themes with Doom... They even use the freakin' door opening sound effect from Doom near the beginning. They knew what they were doing.

Regarding this, that sound is a super overused sound library sound effect. Doom is full of them. 

Way back from 2002:

Even older, from 2001:

You know what movie has a Doom-esque feel to it? Event Horizon. Dark, ominous, mysterious, gritty, demented, etc, etc. Sure there were some plot and dialogue problems, but there are definitely some elements that just feel doom-ish.

Of course it was also discussed at length when the first rumors of Doom Annihilation popped up:

If they did do another doom movie it should be more like event horizon than old school bodybuilder action flick. I like the latter but I think something more like event horizon fits better, especially for cinema versus gameplay.

Not expecting anything out of the new one to be honest.  There's only been one good Doom movie and it's called Event Horizon.

So yeah, the idea that Event Horizon is a Doom movie without the name is basically forum consensus.

Aaaaaaaand it was directed by the dude who would go on to direct two other video game properties (Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil).

You wrong and your opinion is invalid.
Event horizon is warhammer 40k movie, which shows what happens to the spaceship which enter into warp without protective gellar field and/or allow entities from immaterium enter into spaceship.

Spoiler

Since film is half original work (other half based on alien movie) about extradimensional supernatural space horror, you can attach literally any supernatural theme to it.
Lovecraft myths? No problem.
Blood (build game) in near future? Yep.
Doom (game)? Yes.
Etc.

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

You wrong and your opinion is invalid.
Event horizon is warhammer 40k movie, which shows what happens to the spaceship which enter into warp without protective gellar field and/or allow entities from immaterium enter into spaceship.

Reveal hidden contents

Since film is half original work (other half based on alien movie) about extradimensional supernatural space horror, you can attach literally any supernatural theme to it.
Lovecraft myths? No problem.
Blood (build game) in near future? Yep.
Doom (game)? Yes.
Etc.

Dead Space is a game that was definitely influenced by the movie Event Horizon.