Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TravyB

Supercharged Break In! - New level powered by OTEX and Supercharge

I meant to play this updated version when you sent it to me a few days ago but wasn't able to get to it, so I'm gonna post feedback from my latest playthrough here instead :D

Spoiler
  • I managed to get stuck somehow in the beginning. I went through the initial winding hallway area, flipped the switch to open the door, then backtracked for the armor secret. upon returning to the door I had previously opened, it was closed and unopenable it seemed, so I had to idclip through it and open it from the other side
  • pretty minor, but I think when you get the SSG, the monster closets are symmetrical? ie 1 rev + imps on one side, and same for the other. could be cool to make 1 side 3 revs for example, and another imps. in any case, I wouldn't have minded 2 or 3 more imps in this trap, just for some nice additional meat to chew through with the SSG
  • I really like all the lights that you added around, and the little bits of sky you added are really helpful too (though I think you could still even take the sky stuff even further/make the openings bigger!!)
  • I think the secrets with that copper/red tech texture activations would be better if instead there was at least a little tiny switch embedded and hidden in the texture, instead of the texture itself being the activation. in the seeming absence of any visual hint that the texture is a secret, or even that there's a secret nearby to be found (those backpacks might have been visible before being lowered though actually, I can't remember), it makes me feel like I have to just try every inset computer in case it triggers something. and imo secrets are a lot more fun for me if it involves me being rewarded for exploring some terrain that's not immediately obvious to explore, like making a narrow jump up to a ledge somewhere (kind of like the invis secret which was seemingly not marked as a secret?)
  • I'd still take the red lights even further personally - the ones you've installed on the ceilings are great, but I'd throw a bunch on walls too, both because I think they'd look nice themselves, and also because more additional contrast created by them would be welcome still. doesn't have to be necessarily uniformly around the map, maybe just some larger walls have repeating inset thin red lights that are 32 or 64px tall or something. ukiro's Eviternity map comes to mind when I think of "lots of red lights," but I can't remember if that map actually has a lot of red lights everywhere, or if it was just a bunch of otherwise red textures...
  • I'm a big fan of the geometry changes in the last big room to open up that ceiling and reveal some sky!
  • I'd maybe make that berserk pillar lower to the ground level after the player gets it, otherwise you can somewhat easily just stand up there and shoot the pinkies instead of punching them
  • really dig the change you made to the exit room. I'd even say that changing those 2 hks to regular barons would be plenty warranted too actually - that would have put a lot more pressure on me to backpedal into the diabolist, because otherwise I was still able to chew through them and the demons without having to take more than a few steps back
  • the map could probably do with 2 less shellboxes overall maybe? I ended the map with 80 shells, all my scrap expended, and a full reload and a half of bullets

really liking the changes you made overall - the (sky)lights you added are very helpful for contrast, though as I mentioned I think you could still take those one step further. can't wait to see the next one :D

Overall this was an enjoyable map. I was getting some pretty heavy Doom 3 vibes playing through it, meandering down corridors with the constant threat of sudden monster closets popping open. I found 3 of the 4 secrets, but always by accident it seemed. Though I suppose it made finding them extra rewarding, as they certainly felt like secrets!

The bigger, open rooms were definitely the highlight for me. I'm not always the biggest fan of corridors, but the textures and theme of the map helped some -- I think you did a great job on the visuals. I also wish the final battle with the Diabolist had a bit of a different setup, as I was able to just jump back down off the ledge, circle back up and around from behind them and cheese the whole ambush with ease. Maybe simply adding an impassable railing along that edge would help sandwich the player in. 

The only bug to report was the first door at the end of the opening hallway. It appears to only open once, which forced me to noclip through it. [Edit] I see Tango already reported this one. Well, it's double-mega confirmed!

I'm interested to see where you take this! 

1 hour ago, Tango said:

I managed to get stuck somehow in the beginning. I went through the initial winding hallway area, flipped the switch to open the door, then backtracked for the armor secret. upon returning to the door I had previously opened, it was closed and unopenable it seemed, so I had to idclip through it and open it from the other side

Yeah, seems I broke the door after deciding far later down the line to have it close rather than remain open. Forgot to mark that as repeatable, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Tango said:

I really like all the lights that you added around, and the little bits of sky you added are really helpful too (though I think you could still even take the sky stuff even further/make the openings bigger!!)

The next one will have more sky than you'll know how to handle!

1 hour ago, Tango said:

I'd still take the red lights even further personally - the ones you've installed on the ceilings are great, but I'd throw a bunch on walls too

This is something I've been experimenting with but haven't managed to come up with anything special so far. Since the next map will consist of a round-ish outdoor area surrounding a large complex I'll have plenty of opportunities to finally do so, though.

26 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Maybe simply adding an impassable railing along that edge would help sandwich the player in

That's probably going to be the solution to that one. 

I'm glad yins both liked it. Gameplay-wise I'm happy with how it turned out but it could definitely be a bit more dynamic in places. The level's simplicity was sort of a byproduct of my working out how I wanted everything to look, which I was still working out as I was building the final area. After Mapwich wraps up and I start the second map I may even go back in and make a few more substantial changes depending on what I come up with in the second map. I tried to give the map a somewhat suffocating or claustrophobic atmosphere to it, partly with the lack of sky teases, but that doesn't seem to translate too well. I also can't lie and say that I'm not afraid of messing around with the ceilings too much once a room is built, because I am; it's just a habit I need to break. Adding color to the lighting throughout the map could possibly help with that but I can never get them right and I only end up aggravated lol 

For now though, I'll update the download with a link fixing that door, getting rid of some shells and a couple of other things based on what you guys said. As always, I appreciate it!

This was a very nice map
Otex and Supercharge seem to fit visually very well together

Nothing to complain, very good stuff

I played this with hardware rendering and sector light mode set to "Doom Legacy" and it seemed to look fine.

Here is my gameplay video

@Austinado I have exactly zero idea on how to fix this, I'm sorry to say lol 

Did that happen as you tried to start it? The file already contains Supercharge packed into it, so I guess loading that alongside it could maybe cause this, if that's even what you did. 

I have tried the file alone...i have tried the two files, superchargedBrreakIn and the OTEX...and still does not work...i think with GZDOOM its not working..

8 hours ago, Austinado said:

I have tried the file alone...i have tried the two files, superchargedBrreakIn and the OTEX...and still does not work...i think with GZDOOM its not working..

The file has OTEX packed in with it as well, try loading up the SuperchargedBreakIn file all by itself, along with a Doom II IWAD. 

8 hours ago, Matias said:

What version of GZDoom are you using? Worked fine for me with GZDoom v4.2.1 

Im using g4.2.0

Maybe i should use that version...

Just now, Austinado said:

Im using g4.2.0

Maybe i should use that version...

I only have GZDoom 3.7 so I don't know if that's that problem. My computer won't run anything newer lol

The next map is coming along, though at this rate this one will probably end up being placed later in the wad. 

On a related note, does anyone know how one would go about re-pegging the upper texture on a 3D, vertically moving door? Nothing is flagged as unpegged, as far as I can tell, but nonetheless the door's texture doesn't move. Is that even possible with 3D floors? I'm fairly new to the whole GZDoom 3D stuff. 

It's map02, the very first door you see, if anyone would like a peek at or solve my little conundrum. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1umw3p05bgbtdzo/Megamap2.wad?dl=0

image.png.01186ab75e043d1e3470497a2cb1ebc8.pngimage.png.ab283a61e12fcd2e27171a66eae6665f.png

16 hours ago, TravyB said:

On a related note, does anyone know how one would go about re-pegging the upper texture on a 3D, vertically moving door? Nothing is flagged as unpegged, as far as I can tell, but nonetheless the door's texture doesn't move. Is that even possible with 3D floors? I'm fairly new to the whole GZDoom 3D stuff. 

I looked at this last night, and as far as I know I don't think you can affect the texture how you want (given this setup). One option you have is to use Floor and Ceiling Raise by Value (action 96 I think?). This will move the texture "up" like you're wanting. The only thing is, the top part of the 3D sector will be poking out above -- now, you can always set one of the linedefs you cross going through the door to be another Ceiling Lower by Value, with a high speed, to quickly hide the top of 3D sector again before players see it. The downside with this is, it will negatively affect the texture again, and the bottom trim of the door will now have a misaligned texture. And the player will hear it, obviously.

My suggestion would be to lower the starting room entirely, and have some steps just outside the door that lead up to the height of your opening rock area. This way, you can use Floor and Ceiling Raise by Value and not have the top of the 3D sector poking out of the platform above. And, you don't have to start messing with the height of that upper platform (or anything else), because you're just lowering the starting room instead.

There may still be a method of getting the texture to behave how you want, that I'm not aware of (I'm absolutely not an expert on 3D sectors, either). But, for now this is the only suggestion I can make. Hope this helps.

The map is looking awesome, by the way. I'm really excited to play this once you're finished!  

8 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

My suggestion would be to lower the starting room entirely, and have some steps just outside the door that lead up to the height of your opening rock area. This way, you can use Floor and Ceiling Raise by Value and not have the top of the 3D sector poking out of the platform above. And, you don't have to start messing with the height of that upper platform (or anything else), because you're just lowering the starting room instead.

I dread the thought of having to move around vertices and lines to make that work now that I'm already finished with that area, so I'll probably leave it as is. Upping the speed of the door alleviates the issue a bit. It's not a huge deal but it's the kind of thing that I know is there so it'll bug me. This'll be one of those small things I'll chalk up to experience and either use your workaround the next time it comes up (and build around that, which opens up some possibilities I hadn't considered...) or just avoid entirely.

There's always the option of just having it a floor that lowers, rather than a door that raises. Which allows you to even ditch the 3D floor entirely and just use a regular sector. Either way, it's not a huge thing. Best of luck with the rest of the level :)