Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eskiguy

Is final doom worth playing?

23 hours ago, Eskiguy said:

Like is it worth checking out or not, I've kinda been on the fence about Purchasing it or not.

Yes it is.

22 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

MAP 11 is famous for having ~6-8 of them running around in a maze

Exactly 14 in UV.

19 hours ago, NaturalTvventy said:

It's ass. I remember shelling out 40 or 50 bucks for it when it first came out and I couldn't believe how garbage it was. It's the first time in my young life I felt straight up ripped off. Betrayed by those who created the best game I'd ever played. I thought I was making better maps than Final Doom and I was giving them away for free. Maybe if it's 5 bucks or under, just for the sake of curiosity. It's a total crap sandwich compared to DOOM and DOOM II. 

How dare you to insult Plutonia!

1 hour ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

And the PSX version of Doom seems great too.

It was incredible back in 1995 but I played it earlier this evening and I was saddened to see just how bad the framerate is compared to a sourceport version of Doom/Doom II, and the resolution makes it harder to see enemies at distance.

I play PlayStation Doom these days using the PSX Doom TC.

1 hour ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

It was incredible back in 1995 but I played it earlier this evening and I was saddened to see just how bad the framerate is compared to a sourceport version of Doom/Doom II, and the resolution makes it harder to see enemies at distance.

I play PlayStation Doom these days using the PSX Doom TC.

Yeah, that probably is the best way to play PSX Doom these days.
At least for me, the same goes for Doom64. I hated it when I tried to play it with a Nintendo 64 Emulator.

I play Doom 64 on the Project 64 emulator. It runs really well. Took about ten minutes of faffing around to configure the controls but it's sorted now.

19 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I play Doom 64 on the Project 64 emulator. It runs really well. Took about ten minutes of faffing around to configure the controls but it's sorted now.

Or you can use Doom 64 EX...

I did have D64EX on my desktop but my laptop wouldn't run that well. I did try it but it was very jerky so on my laptop I have the Project 64 emulator and Doom 64 runs very nicely on that. It's a little annoying having to write the code down each time as more than once I've written it down wrong as the letter H can be mistaken for K as they look very similar.

Plutonia is worth the price of admission alone. Make sure and get the custom music pack, it's great stuff. I would say some of my favorite Doom levels ever are from Plutonia, 11, 28, 31, 32, and more.

I don't think TNT is bad per say but it's not exactly a wad with a ton of replay value.

Here is my two cents on this. TNT is a bit of a mixed bag. Plutionia is a flaming pile of garbage if you are a casual player. Don't even go near it. My suggestion to you would be to download their sequels (which are free). One is TNT Revilution and the other is Plutonia 2. This way at least, you can get a taste of what they are like but without wasting your money.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, Eskiguy said:

Like is it worth checking out or not, I've kinda been on the fence about Purchasing it or not. 

YES! At least play TNT Evilution. I feel like it's pretty important to experience TeamTNT's design style If you map. Some of the design is kind of confusing, but it just has an oldschool doom vibe AND the music slaps. A lot of the maps in Evil are trying to be c o n c e p t u a l having lots of really cool architecture. I get pretty big E1 vibes from some maps in TNT.

However, the mapset can be kinda cheeky and use design tricks that might be confusing to a modern player. Stuff like key placement or how Map02 has a big spike in difficulty (on UV) compared to Evilution's Map01. A lot of the design hasn't aged well and some maps just don't feel balanced right.

Plutonia is really good, but very difficult. I wouldn't recommend playing it seriously unless you've beaten Doom E1-E4 & Doom 2 on UV, and a handful of quality mapsets.

Also, isn't Final Doom five bucks on Steam?

3 hours ago, warman2012 said:

My suggestion to you would be to download their sequels (which are free). One is TNT Revilution and the other is Plutonia 2. This way at least, you can get a taste of what they are like but without wasting your money.

Ironically, these sequels require the corresponding IWADs, otherwise you'll have missing textures galore.

By the way PRCP is a bit closer to what Plutonia is IMO (it's Plutonia Revisited). Plutonia 2 is thought more like a sequel, so it takes the themes of Plutonia and amp it up a bit. Like, Go 4 It has 6 monster spawners because there weren't enough monsters in Go 2 It.

I see TNT and Plutonia as two sides of the same coin. TNT has prettier maps, custom music galore and some new textures. But it can get carried away in its map design sometimes. Plutonia focuses on the enemy encounters and intense battles and is all about "Oh, you clever bastards!" kinds of traps, but it's not much to look at.

55 minutes ago, Allard said:

I see TNT and Plutonia as two sides of the same coin. TNT has prettier maps, custom music galore and some new textures. But it can get carried away in its map design sometimes. Plutonia focuses on the enemy encounters and intense battles and is all about "Oh, you clever bastards!" kinds of traps, but it's not much to look at.

Essentially, they both have their ups and downs. TNT certainly has good music and cool maps, especially in the first half, but it goes downhill pretty bad after MAP21, with the likes of Habitat and whatnot.

I'd say its main issue lies in its experimental nature which wasn't very well executed. While TNT explores a wide variety of themes in its maps, their quality is kind of all over the place.

6 hours ago, seed said:

their quality is kind of all over the place.

Plutonia is a lot more focused bc it only had two devs. TNT had a bunch of mappers and many of them only released one or two maps. I mean, many of these maps would be spectacular first releases, but you're right that the experimentation wasn't always the best.

1 minute ago, Nymbus_Hustle said:

Plutonia is a lot more focused bc it only had two devs. TNT had a bunch of mappers and many of them only released one or two maps. I mean, many of these maps would be spectacular first releases, but you're right that the experimentation wasn't always the best.

No, I don't think it was because of the lack of manpower, but rather due to a focused development.

Plutonia knew exactly what it wanted to be from the very beginning, a challenging and gameplay-focused megawad with a natural theme, whereas TNT had a more experimental approach to its maps (and also wasn't meant to be as difficult as Plutonia due to targeting a different audience). They had the ideas (perhaps too many of them), but the execution lacked severely in the later portion of the wad. TNT is at its best in the first half where most of the techbase maps are also found and where it is more focused, past that point it just... exists and tries things.

It sure helps that ports such as PSX Doom only had maps from the good portion of the megawad.

1 minute ago, seed said:

No, I don't think it was because of the lack of manpower, but rather due to a focused development. 

Ye, that's what I meant and I agree with you. Plutonia is certainly more focused and is cleverer than TNT. TNT is wildly unbalanced in its difficulty and design. Plus it was very early still in Doom modding so a lot of these levels still feel gimmicky.

Although both megawads were released at once, do you know if TNT was made first?

2 minutes ago, Nymbus_Hustle said:

Ye, that's what I meant and I agree with you. Plutonia is certainly more focused and is cleverer than TNT. TNT is wildly unbalanced in its difficulty and design. Plus it was very early still in Doom modding so a lot of these levels still feel gimmicky.

Although both megawads were released at once, do you know if TNT was made first?

That seems to be the case.

TNT was finished in November 1995, while Plutonia was sent to id in January '96.

8 hours ago, Hcoop111 said:

yes it is in short 

Exactly what i was going to say. 

In short, YES.

If you like hard, play Plutonia. TNT on the other hand is iffy. I actually like it (for the most part) but a lot of people seem not too. It's nowhere near as hard as Plutonia though. If you are used to playing modern mapsets, especially harder ones, then Final Doom should be a fairly easy. If not, then Plutonia might be a tad hard, even though it is older.

TNT: Evilution and the Plutonia Experiment are brilliant megawads, but they didn't particularly age well. TNT suffers the most, it's just not as good as Plutonia in my opinion.

Just now, Scorpius said:

TNT: Evilution and the Plutonia Experiment are brilliant megawads, but they didn't particularly age well. TNT suffers the most, it's just not as good as Plutonia in my opinion.

I think Plutonia would still be a pretty good vanilla megawad had it been released today. However, the landscape of megawads as we know them would probably be completely different had it not released when it did and influenced who it did (which is just about everyone).

1 minute ago, Egg Boy said:

I think Plutonia would still be a pretty good vanilla megawad had it been released today. However, the landscape of megawads as we know them would probably be completely different had it not released when it did and influenced who it did (which is just about everyone).

Very true, especially Plutonia 2! How would I live without it? I agree with the last sentence, it and TNT are massively influencial. Huh, AV and HR would be completely different too, jeez. I still think Final Doom is the worst of the three by far but they are still very worth picking up.

Like others have said, there’s much better out for free, they aren’t bad mapsets at all, but they aren’t super amazing. Plutonia is better than TNT imo. I had the best experience on the PlayStation 1 version. Ive played through the pc version but I prefer the ps1 simply because I like the psx lighting and music..and dare I say I prefer doom with a controller! (that’s what I grew up with)