Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kid marscat

Is there a Chocolate/Vanilla Doom-compatible way to push the player off a platform at the start of a level?

Question

As in, the level starts with the player on top a high platform, from which the player is pushed off. Compare to what the DN3D engine does on levels like Freeway.

Edit: Thanks everyone who gave ideas! I think I'm gonna avoid the barrel option, since imo that takes away from the immersion of the level, and just keep it as I already have it, which is an instant lowering floor with a switch. Again, thank you everyone!

Edited by kid marscat : Edited to close thread.

13 answers to this question

The only way to move the player horizontally is to have them take damage, unfortunately. This would be possible to do with a crusher+barrel, but for any crushers to be active, the player has to either walk over an activating line or press a switch, so the one situation where it can't be done is right as the player is spawned.

I tried messing around in DeHackEd, seeing if the player could perhaps be spawned from the ceiling and then drop down, but the function doesn't seem to work when applied to the player object.

I know the Final Doom version of the vanilla exe erroneously maintains your height when you teleport - again you would have to walk through the teleport first, but it still might help to achieve what you're looking for? Sorry I couldn't be of more help, perhaps a guru might know another potential solution.

30 minutes ago, Gez said:

Is there a Chocolate/vanilla-compatible way to do slopes, rotating sectors, colored lighting, overlapping areas, swimmable water, video cutscenes, because they're in Duke 3D and furthermore

No need to be a smart ass, it was a legitimate question.

1 hour ago, Uncle 80 said:

The only W1 linetypes monsters can activate in vanilla are Teleport monsters only or teleport. The only other types they can activate are DR door and WR lift. So a lift would work in your example, but that's the about the only option.

It may be less known, but monsters can also activate W1-Open door, wait, close! Also W1-normal lift.

i'm not sure about vanilla having that, but can't you put W1 line and some monster so it will see a player, walk to him, and activate the trigger?

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

i'm not sure about vanilla having that, but can't you put W1 line and some monster so it will see a player, walk to him, and activate the trigger?

The only W1 linetypes monsters can activate in vanilla are Teleport monsters only or teleport. The only other types they can activate are DR door and WR lift. So a lift would work in your example, but that's the about the only option.

The only vanilla solution I can think of is using a Voodoo doll with a barrel at the start, and maybe putting some medkits/a soulsphere in front so the damage is negated.

Is there a Chocolate/vanilla-compatible way to do slopes, rotating sectors, colored lighting, overlapping areas, swimmable water, video cutscenes, because they're in Duke 3D and furthermore

Just now, printz said:

It may be less known, but monsters can also activate W1-Open door, wait, close! Also W1-normal lift.

Wow, that is indeed less known! I've been using Matt Fell's unofficial doom specs as an editing reference for making "hacky" tagged actions for 20 years, and even his document fails to list those types as monster activatable!

I wanna thank everyone who contributed with ideas on this thread! As I said on the edit, I went with a different approach, but still, I appreciate the help! Thank you guys!!

No, but have you tried using Boom instead? It has scrolling floors and it might give what you need while staying "close enough" to vanilla. 

19 minutes ago, [Vitz!] said:

No, but have you tried using Boom instead? It has scrolling floors and it might give what you need while staying "close enough" to vanilla. 

I know about all that, but I get some real enjoyment from trying to get my ideas into Doom with the limitations of vanilla mapping. These are some of my first maps ever too, so I kinda wanna get used to vanilla first and only then get into that sorta extended stuff.

2 hours ago, kid marscat said:

... , so I kinda wanna get used to vanilla first and only then get into that sorta extended stuff.

I'm sorry for mentioning this , well not really :) , but that is just as mind blowing a statement as saying I want to learn riding a bicycle first before learning to drive a car.

But heck, if you enjoy driving a square peg into a round hole, nobody should dissuade you.

Good luck with your mapping adventure.

Edited by Kappes Buur

2 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

I'm sorry for mentioning this , well not really :) , but that is just as mind blowing a statement as saying I want to learn riding a bicycle first before learning to drive a car.

Artistic limitations are by definition arbitrary, only there to create fun out of discipline. Even then tho, I see this less as "learning to ride a bike before learning how to drive a car" (considering those are very different paradigms), and more like learning to draw using just a pencil and then moving on to using ink and paints, etc. After all, it's not like Boom stuff is fundamentally different, it's just extended on top of the base that is Vanilla.