Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

Neil Peart dead at 67

Fucking hell man. I just started getting into Rush recently. Now I will definitely continue to do so in his honor. Fuck cancer.

Oh man.

Can't think of much to say. This news literally made me weak in the knees. 

Jesus, what awful news. My best friend really got into drumming and music in general thanks to him, what a shame. R.I.P. 

Hope his family is doing alright

This is such devastating news for me (and my family). RUSH is the first band I can remember listening to, and they've been a sort of constant companion my whole life. The world has lost something today. 

What a tragic loss. He was an amazing drummer. RIP Neil, you had a huge impact on millions. Off to join that big band in the sky..

I was just on Reddit and spotted the news and was all WTF. Rush has been my favourite band since the early 80's. Fuck this is shocking news. 67 is way to young. Fuck.cancer. Much sadness. Goodbye to The Professor.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Ooof. Worst music news I've heard since Chris Cornell died. He was an amazing drummer in an amazing band. RIP in peace Neil Peart. I wish his family and friends well in dealing with their loss.

I just heard about this via a text message from my dad. R.I.P. Neil. I've been a fan of Rush since i started listening music, although i've only started liking their 80's stuff within the past couple of years.

Rush's 70's stuff is just magic. I like their 90's and '00 stuff as well. About their 80's stuff: I've always had an old copy of Power Windows since i got it from my dad but it's so wore out that i could never listen to it past a few songs. I finally bought a copy on CD a few years ago and really liked it. Then i started eating up all of their 80's stuff. Great stuff all around imo.

TBH, if i had to choose a "few" albums that i like a lot, they would be: Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings, 2112, Moving Pictures, Signals, Power Windows, and Counterparts just to name a "few" ;)

Anyway's like i said before, R.I.P. Neil Peart. You are gone way to soon.

Never listened to much RUSH, but from what little I did hear, Peart was certainly a damn solid drummer.

May he rest in peace.

I really don’t know what to say, I can’t believe that. I’m very sorry. RUSH is one of the few bands which I like from their first to last album.

I only saw them live twice. My deep condolences to his family and former bandmates Geddy and Alex. It really sucks to live in an era in which you witness all those losses of iconic musicians and actors that you grew up with. 

14 hours ago, Seeker_of_Truth said:

they've been a sort of constant companion my whole life.

Yep I remember only having Caress of Steel as the only music in my possession for ~2 years... straight up yeah, it's like a constant companion.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, stphrz said:

Oh man.

Can't think of much to say. This news literally made me weak in the knees. 

Haven't seen you here on the forums in awhile man.

Of all the bands I listened to growing up, Rush were some of the earliest I can recall.  I thought the "Show of Hands" live show on VHS was pure magic as a kid, and actually seeing them live as I got older even more so.  It is (really) sad news to hear about Neil, but he ultimately lived an amazing life.  At the very least, Rush ended on a good note where there was no "maybes" for a reunion, with no what-ifs and regrets.

I do wonder if he's jamming with Buddy Rich as we speak?

RIP

Very sad to hear the news about Neil - I was glad to see and hear Rush live during their Snakes & Arrows tour in the summer of 2008 with my dad. It's still one of the only rock concerts I've ever been to, and it was a blast getting to hear all of these amazing songs they've done over the years played live, and to actually see the legends in person. Rush is one of those bands I heard a lot during my high school years, and even picked up a couple of T-shirts for at the time (one of which was at the concert). Suffice it to say they've had an impact on my life and influenced my own songwriting at times.

I've always been amazed at the sheer power Neil had on display when playing on so many of their albums. It was great when I got to play drums for a short while in the first half of 2009 - I felt like in some way I could try and tap into that same power and just have fun with it in whatever way felt right at the time. I remember mentioning Rush as an influence to my drum instructor, he had a lot of respect for Neil and mentioned seeing them during their tour for Presto.

I was actually introduced to Rush by one of my favorite groups, Vertical Horizon. Their lead guy Matt Scannell actually advertised the new Rush album Snakes & Arrows at the time and talked about how much he loved it, and it made me want to go looking for the album. Before I had it though I got to hear a couple of Rush albums my dad already owned with Roll The Bones and Retrospective, Vol. 1. Both were really good introductions to the group, followed shortly after by Snakes & Arrows. After that I went hunting for many Rush albums and really enjoyed their catalog of music. It was amazing that one day Matt Scannell and Neil Peart would one day have a chance meeting and develop a close friendship with one another, which eventually led to them collaborating for Vertical Horizon's Burning The Days and Echoes From The Underground albums. It was surreal to actually see this kind of work take place between a couple of my favorite music groups. They both seem like respectable individuals you could imagine yourself sitting with and having regular conversations with. I'm sad that Matt has also lost a very close friend of his.

Rush has an amazing legacy, and I hope Neil Peart's work continues to inspire many people. Much respect to the surviving members of the group and my condolences to the family of Peart. May he rest in peace.