Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starry4471

Heaven levels inspired by Eviternity?

A part of me actually wants to believe that Heaven in Doom Eternal was added by being inspired from Eviternity. Eviternity was released on december 2018 and a few months later (in E3 I think) we saw Heaven segments in Doom Eternal. And we would probably fight fallen angel(s) which is similar to fighting Archangel in Eviternity.

I think that the whole idea of including heaven in Doom was already thought even before of Doom 2016.

But talking about level desings, I'd love that they include some things inspired from Eviternity, I consider it a really well-thought version of what heaven could be in Doom. 

24 minutes ago, Martin-CAI said:

I think that the whole idea of including heaven in Doom was already thought even before of Doom 2016.

Same here, considering the focus on creating an actual universe with lore this time around, it s highly possible Heaven was being conceptualized around the time D2016 came or a bit before it.

Me likes some angel slaying so I hope I will have the opportunity to kill em :p .

I think a "Heaven in Doom" could be something like what exists in Eviternity and even Eternal but for Heaven to work in Doom, i feel like we need to understand what made Hell in Doom work first. (because Doom always had its version of Hell)

Because besides Eviternity and Eternal, i always imagined a Heaven that would share some similarities with Hell, like similar props and assets, such as Heaven equivalents/counterparts of evil eyes or FIREBLU and even some more unique stuff as well.

And depending on what characters or creatures would live there, they could have a variety of designs that complements the variety of things in Heaven. (which is the case with classic Doom having colorfull and diverse enemy types along with the variety of textures and sprites in Hell)(this also might explain why WADs and custom enemies work a lot)

And with all the creativity and mix of science fiction and fantasy, some references to Jesus and christianity as well, so it's still Heaven, even if it's a Doomified Heaven. (Quake had Jesus)

Because Eternal's Heaven isn't so much "Heaven in Doom" but more "Heaven in the reboot universe of Doom", because 2016 had a basic Hell compared to the colorfull, mishmash Hell in Inferno and i expect Eternal to look less basic by making its Hell more in line with Doom 64 and Quake 1.

On one hand, if Doom was more "accurate" on its portrayals of Hell, we probably wouldn't have cybernetic demons or the abstract Hell we had in the classic games, which means the mapping scene probably wouldn't be what it is, considering what you can do with the textures. (we probably wouldn't even have space and sci fi in the first place, so it works that these games really were just a mix up of different things without care for canon)

But on another hand, Doom is the kind of series that showed up in a time when everyone was worried about their kids worshipping Satan and its association with Hell is a major trait of its identity. (specially considering non-game content that adapts its setting but alters the point of demons to literal aliens)

The new games still have biblical and religious references on them and the new/original stuff is good (some of which could in someway fit in the OG titles to some degree), but i wonder for how much can you focus on the alienic/sci fi/fantasy side of things before the bible/mythological things feel more subtle or not as noticeable compared to the older games?

We got an actual tower of Babel (which is how i expect the player gets to Heaven) but then there's some symbols that look like upside down crosses but altered.

I feel like the idea of Heaven in Doom is something anyone would think about that, if old id were to make another Doom game after Doom 2, they could have gone that route and Heaven could be similar in some ways to Eternal and some wads like Eviternity but also different, whether or not if even tries to parallel what Hell looks like.

I wonder if the current id would try to think of something like this: where they try to include Heaven in any previous iteration, like another official classic episode like NRFTL but with a new theme and all.

I feel like this another thing about Doom "lore" because considering the series went through art changes and most of the stuff that is carried are the base Doom 2 monster roster and weapons (except maybe the D3 hellknight and assault rifles), i feel like there is some more art types to explore or ideas from throughout the games.

Then there's the story side of things where Heaven in Eternal may be neutral or evil and in other games, i expect a situation like Doom 3 martians where they exist but don't really interfere with the setting as much.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I've heard a lot of people joke about this. - "Have you preordered Doom Eviternal yet?" etc. Honestly I have immense doubts Eviternity is even remotely influencing their design choices. I'm humbled that people think this though, even if they're joking. :)

Perhaps you're John Romero stealing ideas secretly

sure why not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

John doesn't even work for id anymore soI'm not sure where this train of thought is going. 

4 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

sure why not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

John doesn't even work for id anymore soI'm not sure where this train of thought is going. 

(It was a joke)
(And now it's not anymore if I had to clarify :P)

*hits blunt*

I'm 100% sure that doon eternal will feature heaven segments copied straight out of eviternity, just like how eviternity clearly ripped all of its heaven stuff from diablo 3 because these ideas have never been done before.

Heaven in Doom is one of those ideas that anyone could have had, so i feel like some things in these games look like they're taking inspiration from Wads and mods but that's probably more on how easy some ideas are to just have.

I expect at least one boss being the Icon of Sin with his own body instead of a wall and that was represented in some fanart and at least a few mods. (brutal doom and that Sin Incarnate thing as examples)

Same could go for the fantasy stuff (that i hope makes me think more of Heretic/Hexen than skyrim, although i think the Night Sentinels look cool) and maybe the whole "Rip and Tear"/power aspect.

1 hour ago, igg said:

The green and snowy landscapes look kind of similar for me.

Which ones?

Are you talking about the Sentinel world and the cultist base?

10 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Which ones?

evi-post-12.jpg

evi-post-08.jpg

Maykrs.png?q=70&fm=webp&w=1600&h=1600

evi-post-07.jpg

Sentinel.png?q=70&fm=webp&w=1600&h=1600

evi-post-15.jpg

DOOM_Etrnl_BattleMode_25.png?q=70&fm=web

Given the timing between the release of Evieternity and the first shots we saw of "heaven" in Eternal it is very unlikely.

57 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Given the timing between the release of Evieternity and the first shots we saw of "heaven" in Eternal it is very unlikely.

More like impossible. The time frame proposed is too short for the maps and their concepts to have been produced in relation to Eviternity. You can't make stuff like this in less than a year.

Whenever i look at that Urdak image, i notice some purple lights.

Wonder what they are.

Also, i just wondered about Heaven in Doom 64 and 3 and whether or not its role in 3's story would be angels begging the marine for help since they're also being attacked by Hell.

I say the environments reminds me a lot of Arcane Dimensions,with the exception of Urdak (Doom Eternal's interpretation

of heaven).

Edited by OneDoomedSpaceMarine