Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caco?

Mid-point of reboot series?

Will this be the mid-point of reboot series story? if there is going to be a game after this one (story-wise) will it finish the story or will eternal finish the story? what do you think?

I think it entirely depends on how well the game does. I also think id Software might not want to have to make a third Doom game in a row, but it's not their decision anymore......

The expansions that come with the deluxe edition are collectively bundled under what is called a "Year One Pass", so I'm guessing that the current plan is to support DOOM Eternal with new content for at least a couple years and wait a good while before doing another proper installment.

I feel as though we are just going to get a trilogy.  The next game will be Doom 666 right?  In the mean time, Id team will maybe go back to Lovecraftian Quake.

Besides the story, you'd also have to think about the gameplay and art direction.

Expansions are a good way to explore some ideas without having to work on a "bigger" base/scope like an actual physical game. (and in some cases, you're allowed to reuse a bit of stuff, since you're just making a game bigger instead of making an actual game)

And like with the Quake 1 expansions, they could try to explore cut ideas/concepts and whatever was left in the cutting room floor.

Even though this direction is good and there's a lot to expect out of Eternal, you also have to consider somethings like the arena lockdown combat and how some people say it can be repetitive. (Eternal at least has a hitbox based system that makes it more interesting and cases like using plasma rifle for energy shields feels like they're making weapon switching more fun)

Good gameplay variety is good, specially when devs realize you don't see some RPG tree menu system to be seen as the deepest part of the game.

You'd have to be 100% sure you reached the limit of this formula and realize there's not much to expand on, but knowing Doom's fame with level design and megawads, you could also try to use the existing material in different ways. (there's also tech in mind and depending on what happens with the PS5 or new Xbox, id could figure out new things on their own)

I do wonder if we'd get another point where a new art direction could be tried or we go back to a previous one like a Doom 3 expansion to bring back some focus on the horror aspect.

There's also the RPG/Phone games, which are obscure and barely preserved.

Yeah , I think we will have a much better idea what may or may not happen after we have got and played those year one passes. The term 'Year one' suggests there's gonna be a year two , but who knows eh?