Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impish

Screenshots Here

Hello peeps

I Think we Should Make A Sticky With Posted Screen Shots Of The New ZdoomGl Showing Off Some OF Its New Features, Just A Few A Week

boris said:

I'd rather like to see a binary released :P

"Soon" :P

Actually, I just go full mouselook working properly (using a modified version of JDoom's visibility routine). Now I'm just adding frustum culling for subsectors (right now it tries to draw stuff behind you) so hopefully eaeuro03 will run at a reasonable framerate and I can finally get working on the last few remaining bugs before doing a release.

It'll be a pretty basic release: no md2 models, no dynamic lighting, no skyboxes and no mirrors. But at least it'll be out there, and it does pretty much support the rest of ZDoom 2.0's features, along with hires textures. There's some Boom tricks that look really odd, but for the most part they look better than Boomsday or JDoom. Haven't tried those maps in Legacy or Eternity yet (nb_bmtrk.wad, fenexam.wad and m_exam.wad), though.

After release I'm going to work on getting mirrors and skyboxes working, then on to md2 models and dynamic lighting. And then finally onto new fancy features :)

Skyboxes are the hard one, actually. ZDoom can have multiple skyboxes per map and I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet. The example wad thebox.wad can have 3 skyboxes on screen at once...

Impish said:

why didnt you use zdoom as the base and added the OpenGL type then ??

Uh... heh...

Impish said:

why didnt you use zdoom as the base and added the OpenGL type then ??

I did, but some the hardware renderer deals with things differently than the software renderer, so some things look slightly different (although I've tried to make them look the same) and other things are difficult to do because of those differences. Mouselook is one of those things because the Doom engine really isn't built for full mouselook.

WHY R U GONNA RELESE A VERSN OF ZDUM GL WITHOUT DYNAMC LITES? THATS LIKE A DOWNGRADE OLOLOLOLOL!~!!!!1 THIS SUX KBYE U SUCK

Just wait until the Doom 3 newbies come in and discover ZGL...

Ultraviolet said:

Oh horrors, I can't bear to think what that would be like...

WHY R U GONNA RELESE A VERSN OF ZDUM GL WITHOUT DYNAMC LITES? THATS LIKE A DOWNGRADE OLOLOLOLOL!~!!!!1 THIS SUX KBYE U SUCK

...ahem...

Ultraviolet said:

Haha, ok, that made me laugh :)

Ultraviolet said:

...enough that you'll release a binary now? :P

No, but I'm closer. Just got frustum culling working so eaeuro03 is now mostly playable... I get about 12fps from here with textures on and about 16fps with textures off (gl_texture 0) as opposed to about 7fps before: http://members.shaw.ca/timstump/images/whoa.jpg

That's an older shot and I've optimized the geometry a bit since then, so there aren't that many triangles anymore, but it's still drawing around 26000 triangles in that spot.

eaeuro03 is my performance tester. Every other map I've tested is ok, with map03 of tntd2kh1.wad dropping to about 25fps in places. All the original Doom2 maps are pegged at 35fps, though.

Bear in mind my machine is a 1.2GHz TBird + Geforce2 Pro 64MB + 512MB PC2100. Your results may vary :)

timmie said:

No, but I'm closer. Just got frustum culling working so eaeuro03 is now mostly playable... I get about 12fps from here with textures on and about 16fps with textures off (gl_texture 0) as opposed to about 7fps before: http://members.shaw.ca/timstump/images/whoa.jpg

That's an older shot and I've optimized the geometry a bit since then, so there aren't that many triangles anymore, but it's still drawing around 26000 triangles in that spot.

eaeuro03 is my performance tester. Every other map I've tested is ok, with map03 of tntd2kh1.wad dropping to about 25fps in places. All the original Doom2 maps are pegged at 35fps, though.

Bear in mind my machine is a 1.2GHz TBird + Geforce2 Pro 64MB + 512MB PC2100. Your results may vary :)

Thats a lot of lines... They look like Chex!!

Hey all. Its been quite awhile since I was last in these forums. Timmie, latest screenshots are great. I have a small question. The next release of ZDoomGL, will it use ZDoom 1.23 as its base? Also I downloaded the latest beta recently, am I to understand that it uses some of Ken Silverman's Build engine? And since I have dissappeared off of the map for so long, I know these questions may seem stupid. Its great to see so many of the old faces here andsome new. Well I'm off to work, (need to keep working my way for a new pc, heh), so see you all later.

Eric

Hey, hi Eric! Good to see you back.

The next ZDoomGL will be based off ZDoom v2.0 pre13 (at the moment, although it might get ported to pre18 at some stage). ZDoom 2 is basically 1.23 anyway, just renamed since its been so long since ZDoom v1.22 :P

The latest 2.0 prerelease versions support loading Duke3d maps, and ZDoom uses various little things from the Build engine (i'm not sure exactly what, though)

SlayeR said:

at the moment, although it might get ported to pre18 at some stage

pre 19 has been out for a couple days now ;)

It will load Duke3D maps? Wow, it seems to be moving along quite well. As for Duke3D, i know its off topic here, but I think its cool, and seems to be moving faster than another project I was looking into at the moment. (I think it was GLDuke.) Only reason that suprised me, is because Duke is my second favorite, right after Doom. Anyway, trying to recall from memory, Zdoom also supports heretic/hexen as well right? Anyway lately started keeping an eye on things again, and am excited to see things still going well. And one of these years, I hope to get a bigger better faster computer. Still on AMD K62 400mhz with a PCI GeFroce2 mx 200. Well back to work for me, see you all later.