Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marscaleb

What ports support Doom64 lighting?

What ports support the lighting style from Doom64?  Where it isn't just a sector color but you have them divided between various elements.

..Actually come to think of it I really just care about the gradient effect Doom 64 has between the top wall and bottom wall coloring.

So obviously Doom64 EX supports this.  And there is whatever fork that Doom 64 Absolution was made in, but that whole mod is basically irrelevant because of Doom 64 EX.

But... Is that it?
I recently saw some post somewhere where someone was making a new version of Doom Builder, and one of its many features was that it supported the Doom64 lighting.  I can't fathom why someone would put that in their editor unless some other ports are starting to use it.

Recent versions of GZDoom support Doom 64 style lighting, however it doesn't support additive like the original Doom 64's lighting yet.

EDIT: Wrong word for type of lighting.

Edited by Impboy4

10 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

however it doesn't support addictive like the original Doom 64's lighting yet.

Huh?  Even if I assume you meant "additive" then I'm still confused, because I don't recall that being a property within Doom 64.

10 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Could you post the posts you viewed??

Thankfully it was easy to find in my history.
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=66745

Hmm, GZDoom and all of its forks have really grown overly-complex, but I guess it is the most popular one for that reason.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:05 AM, Gerardo194 said:

GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition (now DZDoom) supports it, based mainly on Doom64EX.

Could you post the posts you viewed??

Unrelated to this, but would it be a good idea to rename your topic to reflect that new name (DZDoom)?

On 1/12/2020 at 5:24 PM, Marscaleb said:

Huh?  Even if I assume you meant "additive" then I'm still confused, because I don't recall that being a property within Doom 64.

Thankfully it was easy to find in my history.
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=66745

Hmm, GZDoom and all of its forks have really grown overly-complex, but I guess it is the most popular one for that reason.

What is so complex about it? And what about his forks?

Imagine the one-off specialized builds that have been posted over the years with all kinds of experimental features.

11 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Unrelated to this, but would it be a good idea to rename your topic to reflect that new name (DZDoom)?

Wait for Version 3 first.

As about the topic, GZDoom supports PSX Doom/Doom 64 styled lightning, but the D64 one doesn't have an additive feature yet.

GZDoom's support is also incomplete, last I saw. Might have gotten updated since then but I still don't see any ACS functions for changing colors documented on the wiki, nor does it have the flags for changing how the color is applied to walls in that sector in regards to pegging, nor does it work under 3D floors. All of which are important.

5 minutes ago, Nevander said:

GZDoom's support is also incomplete, last I saw. Might have gotten updated since then but I still don't see any ACS functions for changing colors documented on the wiki, nor does it have the flags for changing how the color is applied to walls in that sector in regards to pegging, nor does it work under 3D floors. All of which are important.

Well let us ask the boss and see what he can tell us then.

@Graf Zahl

On 1/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, Redneckerz said:

What is so complex about it? And what about his forks?

Sorry, I said that wrong, but also found that what I was upset about was also wrong.  I revoke my qualms against GZDoom.

17 hours ago, seed said:

Well let us ask the boss and see what he can tell us then.

@Graf Zahl

Getting all subtleties of Doom 64 lighting working has never been the main priority here. It was always supposed to be an editing feature because playing Doom64 content never was on the agenda and thus perfect emulation not needed. Some things have been added over time but I am not the right person to ask for confirming feature completeness.

If stuff is missing, the way to go would be to make a feature request, including technical details, but I understand that this may be hard for someone who self-banned himself from the ZDoom.org forums. Well, that's definitely not my problem.

Oh no, here we go again. God saves us. 

Guys, please, don't start an argument for some lighting... 

@Marscaleb there you go!! Now you have the ports that support lighting a la Doom64. They are : Ex, Doomsday (Absolution TC), GZDoom(partially) and GEC Master Edition (modified GZDoom with all Doom 64 features,  it will be called DZDoom in the future) 

Edited by Gerardo194 : Adding more info

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

If stuff is missing, the way to go would be to make a feature request, including technical details

Yea, we've tried that. There's still a whole thread over there about it and nothing seems to come of it. I've made one, someone else made one, it's useless. Feature requests on this subject are just being ignored.

3 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Oh no, here we go again. God saves us. 

Guys, please, don't start an argument for some lighting... 

@Marscaleb there you go!! Now you have the ports that support lighting a la Doom64. They are : Ex, Doomsday (Absolution TC), GZDoom(partially) and GEC Master Edition (modified GZDoom with all Doom 64 features,  it will be called DZDoom in the future) 

Correction. Doomsday itself has apparently supported Doom64 style lighting for many years (since at least the 1.9 beta4 release), not the old Absolution TC.

11 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Correction. Doomsday itself has apparently supported Doom64 style lighting for many years (since at least the 1.9 beta4 release), not the old Absolution TC.

Wow lol. If so, also JDoom.

LZDoom also supports it, same as GZDoom. Now there's a new texture colorization feature and that's not in LZDoom, i don't know if it's related to Doom64 lighting.