Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crix

Interactive Terminals

Don't know if anyone has posted about this already...

Has everyone else noticed the big electronic map in the room before meeting the chaingunner? The one that says "Such and such facility offline, etc.." I was surprised at how well this part of the graphics engine works. Almost reminds me of Flash. Very smooth animations and no artifacts at all. I imagine its the same tech used to show the ammo readout on the weapon_machingun.

Funderful!

Yes, it's the same tech used to show the digits on the machinegun, this was mentioned by Robert Duffy on QuakeCon 2K2, this is his creation, all the cool flash stuff, and yes, it's mighty impressive! :)

Remember the use-key discussion? How does it work without a use-key? I won´t download the leak alpha, but if someone who played it could explain how it works in-game...

Tetzlaff said:

Remember the use-key discussion? How does it work without a use-key? I won´t download the leak alpha, but if someone who played it could explain how it works in-game...

If you stand close enough to a door it'll open automatically, which makes perfect sense to me, because in the year 2145 I don't expect to have non-automatic doors anymore. This makes it realistic and so far I haven't had any problems with it at all. Opening doors by accident when there's an Imp at the other side of the door, is what I mean with problems.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of non-automatic doors in 2145, but that's beside the point.

With doors, keypads, and interactive maps you just walk up to them and they do their thing once you get close enough. At a distance, the crosshair chages to a different yellow crosshair when it rolls over screens or keypads to let you know that there is something interactive there.

To use the interface, you must be close and have to point the crosshair on it.
At these conditions only, the crosshair change to cursor, and you could move it without move the screen. If you cursor point out the interface, you pass instantaneously in fight mode.

Very smooth :)

omfg yes I know, heh, see, I was always worrying just walking up to it would bring you down, but you gotta point your crosshair at it, this rules dammit, heh.

Thanks for the info guys! Well, tht sounds pretty good with the implementation of the interface. The automatic door thing is OK anyways, I just was worried about the consoles and keypads etc.

Yes, the transition from "manipulation mode" to "action mode" is smooth and will not hinder your combat in any way.

Tetzlaff said:

Thanks for the info guys! Well, tht sounds pretty good with the implementation of the interface. The automatic door thing is OK anyways, I just was worried about the consoles and keypads etc.

The interface works really well, much better than I originally expected.

Don't worry about the consoles and keypads, it's all implemented the best way possible.

Funny how things worked out.
Almost everyone was worried about the transition between operative machinery and combat, but Carmack was right.
A usekey is definitely not necessary in this game at all.

Katarhyne said:

See? I told you fags it would rule. I've seen very similar things done, in other games and also in mods.

I suppose that we all are gay then if we happen to have a difference of opinion then...

Crix said:

Very smooth animations and no artifacts at all.

I get terrible z-clipping problems when viewing those interfaces at a slight vertical angle... but other than that they rock.