Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spd7693

Mountain Themed Maps?

Hello. Just a random question here, but I have a small question. Or a big one, this is for you to decide. As you know, I am making a Doom wad. This time I would like some help, but not in terms of map design. I want to look at samples or examples or something like that. 

I would like to ask if you know of some maps which are mountain themed. Like they have the action happen in an environment as if it happens in a mountain. Just because I listened to some of the music tracks I'm thinking about using and it really would fit to a mountain themed map, considering the fact part of it is played on a bagpipe. 

I know of TNT map 27 Mount Pain, but it's f***ing ugly, unfair and downright has almost nothing to do with a mountain theme, except the part towards the ending where zou overlook a mountain infested by lost souls. Map 20 of Memento Mori is also named Mountain Depot, but it also isn't a very good example. I would like some other similar maps to have some mountain theme into them. There is some stuff about Subspace from the Master Levels, but it also isn't much themed like that. 

All in all, a map that can seem like a hellish mansion in the mountains or a techbase in the mountains... Is there something like that? 

I hope so much you understand what I'm asking about. 

i like the volcano map (map29) from Hell Revealed 2. Not exactly over-detailed, but it plays pretty good. And it makes me think of a mountain more than the uglyness that is Mt. Pain from TNT.

The first map of the Pleiades series of maps by Roger Ritenour starts you off in a secluded mountain cabin and is quite a nice little journey to a teleporter shack at the peak. It might have the vibe you're looking for!

I remember playing a GZDoom wad called firetop mountain. The first part of the map has a large, sprawling arena style battle against a large horde of monsters. Zombieman, imps, demons, etc. It dosen't have a crazy variety of textures, but it uses a lot of slopes to create the mountain. You make your way inside the mountain's base, containing lava pits. I though it was really impressive at the time!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/ftmtn_v2

1 hour ago, ZealknightMR said:

GZDoom wad called firetop mountain

Vanilla compatibles only, please. Boom is fine, but not GZDoom, sorry. 

3 hours ago, Love Shovel said:

The first map of the Pleiades series of maps by Roger Ritenour starts you off in a secluded mountain cabin and is quite a nice little journey to a teleporter shack at the peak. It might have the vibe you're looking for!

Not to mention, his previous work Earth which has plenty of cave/nature themed maps, some of which have you walk along the sides of mountains and such.

53 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

Vanilla compatibles only, please. Boom is fine, but not GZDoom, sorry. 

Scythe 2 map 17

Alien Vendetta map 11

Map 11 Venom Canyon from Hellbound, not a mountain but it kinda has a mountain hiking feel to it. Not vanilla compatible so you'll need Boom.

Deus Vult II's MAP03: Crouching Demon, Hidden Arch-Vile and MAP13: Eagle's Nest.

Probably Mike Reed's most popular map was the hoover one, which I'd qualify as "techbase in the mountains".

Isn't there a mountain map in cc4? Will have to check later today

2 hours ago, Vorpal said:

Probably Mike Reed's most popular map was the hoover one, which I'd qualify as "techbase in the mountains".

Isn't there a mountain map in cc4? Will have to check later today

Oh, how could I forget Hoover! Not only is it a good map, it was even the first pwad I ever played :o

Alien Vendetta MAP 20. Only a part of that level is mountain themed, but its still a nice section. It even appears on the megawad's endscreen!

On 1/12/2020 at 6:13 PM, spd7693 said:

Map 20 of Memento Mori is also named Mountain Depot, but it also isn't a very good example.

Just to clarify, are you saying that its not a very good example because its a level that doesn't look very much like a mountain or because you don't like the map itself? Oh, and don't worry, disliking the map is fine, like I said, I'm only asking to clarify.

6 hours ago, Vorpal said:

Well... Just played it. Wasn't much of a techbase in the mountains, but is a decent level. May look at the others. 

2 minutes ago, DSC said:

because its a level that doesn't look very much like a mountain

Well, it has one some sort of a mount which rises above the sky, so that you can't kill that one shotgunner. And the level tries to look like a mountain, but I don't get that feeling. 

I was going to mention both Hoover and Hell Mountain, as they both fit the bill well. The other that came to mind was A Hidden Mountain Factory by Grzegorz Werner. It’s listed as one of the ten best wads of ‘96 on here.

Map 08 of 5 Rooms of Doom was the first one that sprung to mind, really fantastic flow on the layout there, based around a central peak/cave.

IIRC the hell episode in Scythe 2 is castles on mountains. Hellbound map 29 is a fortress on a ginormous spiral mountain and your exit is on the top of it. The latter maps in Alpha Accident are gargantuan techbases surrounded by rocks, so that should also go. Bloodspeed, think was map 28, has small bases on icy mountains, and some other maps were something like that too. 

4 hours ago, DSC said:

Forgot another good one, it was Resurgence MAP 23, I believe.

I think you mean map 22, if it's the huge open one with afrits and spiderdemons.

12 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I think you mean map 22, if it's the huge open one with afrits and spiderdemons.

Yes, I just checked and you are right. It is MAP 22, Mt. Katoomba.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:22 AM, Soundblock said:

Map 08 of 5 Rooms of Doom was the first one that sprung to mind, really fantastic flow on the layout there, based around a central peak/cave.

Just watched the video. It's the closest thing to what I'm going for in the map I'm planning. Even has music that makes you feel like it originally has been played on a bagpipe. I hope it's BOOM compatible at least, if not Vanilla, but I would easily use it as a sample. 

Maybe I'd just sparse the areas a bit and add a cyberdemon into it, because the plan is that my map takes place around 20. That's why I'll give a look at some other suggestions. 

1 hour ago, DSC said:

MAP 22, Mt. Katoomba.

Real beauty and I would easily take this as a sample too. Moreover, the map has the hellish atmosphere I'm aiming for. But I really am not a fan of including stuff like evil doomguys and new monsters. I am trying to make my wad vanilla compatible. But I kind of am aware how to build out the "steps" so that they can imitate the slope or cliffs you need to climb to go further up. Still gathering ideas.