Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retroboom

Can you recommend maps/wads with dynamic lights?

I love the way DOOM looks with 2D sprites for weapons/monsters/items but all lighted by dynamic lighting in a 3D world. It has a surreal, almost Roger Rabbit vibe I can't get enough of. :D

Anyway, I'm struggling to find wads with dynamic lighting to play. Can you guys recommend god ones? THANKS!

Off the top of my head, Nightmares of the Shadow Realm by Yuki Raven probably has the most artistically prominent use of dyn lights of recent releases. 

But generally most maps that target GZDoom will likely make decent use of dyn lights. 

6 hours ago, Bauul said:

Nightmares of the Shadow Realm by Yuki Raven probably has the most artistically prominent use of dyn lights of recent releases. 

Shadows of The Nightmare Realm* ;^)  You can get it and my other levels here, all of which tend to be pretty heavy on the dynamic lights.

Also, yeah I'm YukiRaven, just in case anyone was confused.

You can also use a mod like Beautiful Doom (the trailer is misleading, it has a mode where it plays exactly like a prettier version of regular Doom) that adds dynamic lights to many static decorations/projectiles, and play your favourite mapsets. You might also be interested in k8VaVoom.

The Slaughter Spectrum has also extensive use of dynamic lights. Two of my maps, Perilous Cavern and Suspicious Journey, also contains lights and a lot of them.

Bauul pretty much nailed the fact that most GZDoom dedicated maps have dynamic lights used for ambience...

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

Diabolus Ex

The first screenshot looks really nice with that smoggy ambiance. The lighting mode in the second screenshot would work better in a setting where the atmosphere is very clear -- or even missing.

one can switch between the two on the fly. i like hard edges more, but yeah, in this place lightmaps are prolly better...

On 1/13/2020 at 4:41 AM, Bauul said:

Off the top of my head, Nightmares of the Shadow Realm by Yuki Raven probably has the most artistically prominent use of dyn lights of recent releases. 

But generally most maps that target GZDoom will likely make decent use of dyn lights. 

This right here.

However, I would also add that most maps, regardless of whether they're targetted at GZDoom or not, that have plenty of light sources scattered around (torches and that sort of thing) are a good candidate for GZDoom's dyn lights.

I'd also add Winter's Fury, Slaughter Spectrum, Mapwich.

E: I just realized you got it backwards. That's Shadows of the Nightmare Realm, not Nightmares of the Shadow Realm.

Edited by seed