Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THEBaratusII

Do you play Doom with a mechanical keyboard or membrane keyboard?

What keyboard do you use for Doom?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Mechanical keyboard or Membrane keyboard? (Don't forget to say which model)

• Mechanical
    • Membrane

Just today I received my Logitech G213 Prodigy gaming keyboard. It's a membrane KB with a nice feel and good backlighting. I instantly demoted my Havit KB389L mechanical keyboard, which came with a decent mouse, to back-up status. The Havit has a very nice feel with its "Blue" switches -- a Cherry MX Blue knock-off most likely -- but like other keyboards I've tried with a "floating key" design, the keycaps are a little small. Indeed, when the keyboards are compared, the Havit seems to have at least a half-inch less total keypad-width. This means the font is smaller and harder to see, and it's easier to make typos when the keys are closer together. The Havit is also dimmer than the G213, which is a very important consideration for me. So it was an easy win for Logitech. 

I've gone through 2 Razer Black Widow mechanical keyboards; first a refurbed 2014 edition and recently a 2016 Ultimate Edition that I bought new. Both of them laid down on me when the warranty ran out. The problem was unresponsive keys. The H, P and R keys on both of them started missing on half the keypresses. I tossed the refurb, but I still have the 2016. I loved the keyboards prior to their problems. Pluses were extremely bright green backlighting, outstanding feel and a lovely, loud clicky sound. They use proprietary Razer Green Switches, so I may buy a few and see if I can fix my 2016 Edition. A really fantastic keyboard while it lasts. Others have had much better luck with them than I.

One of my all-time fave membrane KBs was my Apple Chiclet Keyboard, which lasted me at least 6 years. It came with my G5 PowerMac ages ago, lasted through that and a Mac Pro, and was used on at least 3 of my PCs. It was hard to keep the white keycaps clean, and eventually the font rubbed off on at least 7 keys. I finally retired it when some keys began to stick. Prior to that, the virtues of this design were fast response from the low-set keys, a smooth feel, and a spacing that resulted in a very low typo rate.

Finally, a keyboard no one would have used unless they had an Amiga computer. I played lots of Doom and Breathless on these Amiga keyboards and they never let me down.

In the end, I prefer the feel and sound of mechanical keyboards, but unless this new G213 goes pear-shaped, I'll stick with it. IMO, membrane keyboards work just fine for Doom. Still, I may do as @fraggle suggested, and get either a half-keyboard for gaming, or a standalone numeric keypad. I play keyboard only and do all my movement with my right hand on the numeric keypad. I use KB and mouse for Doom 2016, but with the mouse in my left hand, it's an awkward setup with a full KB. So I'm thinking a half-keyboard strictly for gaming would solve the problem. 

I use an old Razer Deathstalker, it's a chiclet key membrane keyboard.  I got it when I was looking for wired gaming keyboards and found it on clearance.  It works fine for me.  Whether I think it is better than a mechanical keyboard I can't really say, but I do like the low profile chiclet keys, after years of using it, it's just what I am used to.

razer-dstalk-gallery-1.png

7 hours ago, fraggle said:

I have a Poker II with MX Clears that I use for work and a Filco Majestouch with MX Browns at home.

"Speed Silvers" are the linear switches that Cherry have introduced specifically for gaming. I've been tempted to pick up one of those cheap gaming half keyboards that are available now and refit it with speed silvers since it would make a nice compact setup that would both be cheaper than and use less desk space than a whole second full-size keyboard. 

Now that I looked around half-keyboards, this gave me an idea, I can probably get a half-keyboard dedicated for Doom and other FPS games and use my IBM PS/2 keyboard for general use. I remember @xvertigox recommending either brown or black switches. So I might set my target at this.

As for the poll, I see mechanical keyboard is taking the lead there.

37 minutes ago, Baratus II said:

Now that I looked around half-keyboards, this gave me an idea, I can probably get a half-keyboard dedicated for Doom and other FPS games and use my IBM PS/2 keyboard for general use. I remember @xvertigox recommending either brown or black switches. So I might set my target at this.

As for the poll, I see mechanical keyboard is taking the lead there.

It all depends on your price - if you're really strapped for cash that's better than nothing. If you have a bit more to spare I'd look at maybe a Ducky board? You can get really cheap mech boards but I would recommend against them, the build quality and the caps will be so shit that you won't enjoy it.

Using a membrane Logitech K120 that I bought about five years ago. 

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/k120

It's better than the Dell keyboard that came with the computer, and it serves my purposes fine. Overall the Dell keyboard that came with the computer just felt mushy, so I decided to get a different one. The keyboard from my previous desktop was past it's prime, it was starting to have issues with key presses not registering. I've never had any issue with bad keys on the Logitech, and it's stayed pretty clean. Aside from the WASD letters wearing off, and the 't' on the shift key, it still works just as well as when I bought it. And for $15, that's fine for me. 

Now, would I "like" to have a mechanical keyboard? At some point, sure. I just can't see the justification in paying that much for a keyboard, when mine works fine.

14 hours ago, fraggle said:

"Speed Silvers" are the linear switches that Cherry have introduced specifically for gaming. I've been tempted to pick up one of those cheap gaming half keyboards that are available now and refit it with speed silvers since it would make a nice compact setup that would both be cheaper than and use less desk space than a whole second full-size keyboard. 

I find Speed Silvers way too easy to press. I think my spacebar has them while the rest of the keyboard has blacks. And I still find myself occasionally accidentally pressing it by just resting my thumb on it while gaming even after years of use.

My large hands probably have something to do with that since I have the same problem with Reds. Way too easy to press.

13 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Membrane keyboard, what? I really hear this for first time

I think people mean rubber dome keyboards. Membrane keyboards are technically something else :P.

I prefer mechanical but honestly am not that picky about it. I like MX Reds, Browns, and the fast activation switches. 

My current PC setup I finally made the jump to tenkeyless. I miss the numpad but enjoy the extra space. Currently using a Corsair K63