Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4everDoomed

Doomguy's movement and speed: Should it get worse after taking too much damage?

Should Doomguys movement speed be reduced when he gets injured ?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it when Doomguy starts to limp or moves slower as soon as his health status drops below e.g. 50% ?

• No, I don't like any of these effects. Please keep them out of your PWADS !
    • Yes, it might make a PWAD more interesting and challenging.
    • Don't really care. As long as a PWAD is great, I'm up for it!

No, I wouldn't like Doomguy slowing down. If anything, Doomguy should get a speed boost on low health (10% or 5%). Another option would be that Doomguy would deal double damage while on 5% health, this could be a fun mechanic because it would be very risky situation but also very rewarding. It's no fun if something is taken away and nothing good given in return.

I can dig it.  It gives the player another element to consider before taking on large groups of enemies.  Those cannonfodder enemies can become big threats if you aren't able to run circles aroumd them like you would be able to at 100% health.  Hell, I think that something as simple as being able to run at the same speed as your health percentage would make perfect sense.  100% health means 100% speed, 50% health means 50% speed.  I like it.

It shouldn’t change at all. Being forced to slow down in a frantic firefight is basically a death sentence, and suddenly gaining a bunch of speed will also trip someone up. Basically, don’t fix what ain’t broke.

This ability to change the speed of movement depending on the state of health is used in thematic WADs, as it has the ability to be recorded in a script. The same applies to various active surfaces. For example, in the "Voyager" project, I used viscous and slippery floors. This trick is aimed at a greater survival in the role of a traveler in different worlds....

It Depends (tm).

Essentially, the wad would have to be designed around it.  Adding something like this to, say, Memento Mori or something, would not be an appropriate use for this.  Mappers need to be aware that movement is the player's primary defense mechanism, with taking cover an alternate defense method (as is the case with hitscanners and occasionally mancubi).  For most classic themed maps, this just doesn't work.

If someone wants to design a map where movement isn't your primary defense method, such as a corridor-shooter style map, knock yourself out.  Otherwise, it gets annoying fast.  Yes, it's an added challenge, but it's also a bit of an artificial difficulty if implemented poorly.

Basically, if one intends on using this mechanic, use it wisely.

1 hour ago, BeeWen said:

This ability to change the speed of movement depending on the state of health is used in thematic WADs, as it has the ability to be recorded in a script. The same applies to various active surfaces. For example, in the "Voyager" project, I used viscous and slippery floors. This trick is aimed at a greater survival in the role of a traveler in different worlds....

With slippery or viscous surfaces, it's a different issue, as it's basically a variation on hazard terrain. If the areas with non-standard friction are clearly identified, and the level isn't entirely about walking through them, then it can be okay. Just like nukage/lava and similar, it can be used as a penalty for stepping out of the safe areas, or as a mitigating factor for making a path less attractive (in other words, there's a shortcut, or a secret with valuable items, etc. but the terrain is bad) and that would generally be an okay use of such terrains.

But if you're forced to go through them for long periods of time, that becomes annoying. Especially for high friction (viscous). Low friction can be fun if you have very large areas and it helps you cross them faster, but trudging slowly through mud is never fun.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:17 PM, Nevander said:

Hell no! I'm sorry, but I absolutely despise it in games when being injured/shot slows your movement and/or distorts your aim. It's just annoying and impairs gameplay. Some may say it's more challenging and realistic, I say it's annoying.

this. dancing around them and defying death despite being on your last hp is what always made doom's movement so appealing to me. 

I think it is a mechanic that has the potential to be interesting in some other game setting, but personally I would certainly not like it at all in Doom.

and it is not even "realistic". because realistically, if i injured so hard, i'll take every stimulant i have to move even faster, to get my ass out of the trouble, so i could heal myself in some safe place. or at least kick as much demon asses i could before i die. it doesn't matter if it will be bad for my health in the future, because i may not have that future at all.

Thanks for voting so far!

Damn, just as I thought. I already had a hunch about what would happen here. But I also didn't expect such a high majority. Good to know...

Absolutely not. How are you gonna play maps that require jumping and you lack the speed to make it?

On 1/14/2020 at 7:51 PM, seed said:

This.

Necrosis (Hexen wad) did this, and it made everything more tedious than it should... 

Necrosis is the first thing that comes to mind for me with this, and I absolutely hated it. Killed that wad for me.

I enjoy the Left 4 Dead games very much, but slowing the player to a helpless crawl when they’re damaged just feels like kicking them while they’re down. Easily my least favourite part of them. I imagine it would feel even worse in Doom.

I actually love when games give you a little ‘spark of hope’ type power up when you’re near death. “You just went from 100 HP to 20 in seconds flat? Here - run a bit faster than usual for 10 seconds to help you escape to a safe spot, or attack more aggressively. We’ll call it a burst of adrenaline.” I’ve always loved these sorts of mechanics. IDK how well it would work in Doom but the idea definitely interests me more.

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

“You just went from 100 HP to 20 in seconds flat? Here - run a bit faster than usual for 10 seconds to help you escape to a safe spot, or attack more aggressively. We’ll call it a burst of adrenaline.” I’ve always loved these sorts of mechanics.

second this. i believe this is MUCH better than punishing the player even more.

tbh, i don't hold a very high opinion about "realism" in games. games should be *fun*, not "realistic". they *may* be realistic, but "fun factor" is the top priority. slowdown mechanics may work in some survival horror, but in action shooter... nope. it takes out the fun.

For a military/horror shooter that's a really great idea, especially if the game is aiming for "realism."

With a basic Doom wad however, you'd be dead before you could click for the BFG.  It's best to leave things like that out for gameplay that feels fast and intuitive.

No. It is an afterthought busy thinking mechanic that rarely has much thought involved and brings down gameplay to a shit stop. Unless low health has more mechanics than the fun ends here then 99% of the time it is a shit mechanic that either makes people quit or savescum high hp.

"Doomguy's movement and speed: Should it get worse after taking too much damage?"

No. It's a game about a guy strapped with 8-9 weapons all at once, gazillion of bullets, cells and rockets. Oh, and also, it's a game. 🙄

Well I had to select the "don't care" option because it truly depends on a few things.

Are you wanting a challenge? Looking for a little realism? Maybe.

Think about survival horror games.
Friday the 13th on NES is a great example. That game is less challenging once you learn the ropes. That's because it doesn't have that extra bit of realism, that would make it challenging no matter what you know. That game would do better to have the feature.

Think about action shooter games.
The RoboCop arcade cabinet is a great example. That game is more about just having fun going around blasting assholes. It doesn't have that slow down feature when you get hurt, and it does well not to have it. It would be less fun with it because the purpose of the game isn't to be realistic; the purpose is to have fun.

Doom3 should have that. Any other doom game should never have that.

BLASPHEMY.

Its already bad enough to have to cycle through endless options to get the game I want right. Don't go adding another damned CVAR (if people are even decent enough to let an option of below 50% health = reduced movement speed be an option). The shitty difficulties of some wads is enough. Also there are problems introduced for people who want to play with vanilla monsters but have to endure endless realm 667 abominations thrown at them in lots of PWADS. (I'm looking at you, EVITERNITY)

There's nothing I loathe more than when I'm not doing too hot in a firefight and the game mechanics actively become worse to make it even harder for me. It's akin to the blood splatters obscuring the fuck out of the screen in more modern games.

If my health is low, that’s when I most need to be able to move fast, so I can keep dodging the fireballs that will otherwise finish me off.

I’m not even sure this feature would be realistic, anyway. If anything, when Doomguy is hurt, he might just move faster due to his pain and fear giving him an adrenaline rush. That is, unless he specifically got shit in a foot or leg.

Anyway, health points in Doom are an abstraction. They’re a general measurement of how long you can keep fighting, not a specific counter of how many bullets you can eat.

if you do create a mod with this feature, then the monsters should also slow down when at low health. That’s only fair, right?

First post! Hello, Doomworld!

Any mechanic that results in decreasing the players base movement speed, in any game, gets a hell no from me.. especially for a game like Doom.