Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
banjiepixel

Feature suggestion: Simple control presets.

There are many ways to play Doom and first person shooter controls in general have changed much since the release of the original Doom. Different sourceports have different default controls and different wads can require different type of basic controls. Remapping everything can be annoying at times and I started thinking that why do we even need that when there seems to be three main types of control setups that people use with the game:

1. Vanilla

-default controls from the original Doom

2. Classic

-WASD movement

-no vertical mouse movement

3. Modern

-WASD movement

-E for use

-Spacebar for jump

-Ctrl or C for crouch

-vertical mouse aiming enabled

Why don't we create just simple default presets for the control options that we can easily then customize to your liking, something similar that modern games do with their graphics options. GZDoom/Zandronum would probably benefit most from this, but I can see something like this being pretty useful with any source port. Maybe you could even access the right control preset with a command line parameter.

What does the community think? Does anyone use some other control setup that could be good control preset?

Honestly, this doesn't sound like a bad idea in the slightest, and I think your examples are spot on.

Eduke also did something similar, giving the users the ability to toggle between a more modern control scheme, and the original. Doom could use 3: Vanilla, Modernized Classic, and Modern.

I can only repeat the same thing as last time this came up: If you want a preset, make one. Technically it isn't difficult to access them from the menu. But without having some, there's little that can be done - and everybody has different preferences so I cannot really make one for you - as a left handed person a WASD control scheme is unusable for me. Last time nobody made one, so everything stayed as it was.

To do it, get the defbinds.txt file from gzdoom.pk3, change it to your liking and post it as a feature suggestion.

11 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I can only repeat the same thing as last time this came up: If you want a preset, make one. Technically it isn't difficult to access them from the menu. But without having some, there's little that can be done - and everybody has different preferences so I cannot really make one for you - as a left handed person a WASD control scheme is unusable for me. Last time nobody made one, so everything stayed as it was.

To do it, get the defbinds.txt file from gzdoom.pk3, change it to your liking and post it as a feature suggestion.

So if I provide a defbind.txt with my scheme, will you add it as a feature?

4 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I was suggesting more of a common standard for how source ports handle these things. And why couldn't there be also own presets left handed setups or some kind of left handed mode all the presets. I will gladly look into creating some presets for you if it helps.

28 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

So if I provide a defbind.txt with my scheme, will you add it as a feature?

I'd put it up for review by other people so that a consensus can be reached, and then it surely can be added. We might also create a list of presets by different people as an optional download - there's surely many ways to improve this.

Of course the classic preset won't go away, this has been ZDoom's default for over 20 years.

38 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I'd put it up for review by other people so that a consensus can be reached, and then it surely can be added. We might also create a list of presets by different people as an optional download - there's surely many ways to improve this.

Of course the classic preset won't go away, this has been ZDoom's default for over 20 years.

I agree that a general consensus must be made for a preset as not everyone may agree with my inventory binds for Heretic/Hexen/Strife.

With that being said, this is my config: defbinds.zip

The changes are:

- WASD movement

- E for use

- F for previous inventory item

- R for next inventory item

- Q for inventory use

The rest are same as the original defbinds.txt in GZdoom. The reason I have F,R and Q for inventory management is because they are close to WASD keys and my fingers can easily move to press them. Also I would bind "space" for jumping and "ctrl" for crouching, but I didn't add them in the defbinds yet as jumping/crouching is also debatable.

55 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Also I would bind "space" for jumping and "ctrl" for crouching, but I didn't add them in the defbinds yet as jumping/crouching is also debatable.

You could do that for a modern control scheme preset.

I think I'm gonna provide one later too.