Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jason

WAD idea. Help wanted. Willing to pay ONLY IF NECESSARY.

Just updating my $6 bid to clarify that it is actually a 20% increase from $5, even better than the 16% increase I had originally stated. With that considered I think I'm still offering a pretty competitive deal here.

1 hour ago, Sir Hattington said:

Ill do it for free! You can message me the details.

Why work for free, when you can get paid? Besides here's no warranty that he might credit you for your hard work. 

Give 200$ and I will make you a cute little speed map. 2000$ for a big map.

I don't think it's nice to let someone else do your job, keep in mind that you are supposed to be able to make a map by yourself, but if you give up like that, you don't give a guarantee to complete the project, and you'll never learn how to make a map.

Screw that, I'll make a map for $20! Comes with free DeHackEd alterations for that spice you need in your life!*

*Call within the next 10 minutes for a free set of steak knives.

Damn, when I have a great idea, I sure try to create it myself. Only when I really can't figure it out, I ask for help. I really can't understand why you don't even bother trying it yourself. Letting others design your idea, where's the fun in that?

4 hours ago, Misty said:

Why work for free, when you can get paid? Besides here's no warranty that he might credit you for your hard work. 

I sincerely don't think he (the OP) is trolling.

The time, effort, and money on your part to make this happen (negotiation, exchanging data, arranging payments, etc) is more than what it'd take to learn how to do these things yourself. It takes a lot of skill to put together a map: thinking about design, how encounters flow, item balance, and so on, and manifesting the gameplay and theme into Doom-format geometry. If you already have what it takes to do all that for a map that's worth paying for, then setting up linedef actions is relatively trivial. You could have learned how to do that and actually done it in the time it took you to write the post that started this thread!

It's like this:

how-to-draw-an-owl-how-to-draw-an-owl-15

But apparently you need someone to draw the circles for the owl you've already drawn?

If you can't figure out basic linedef actions (not even exotic intricate ones, but basic ones like "how to door"), then Doom mapping is not for you.

I'll offer $40. But this is reverse-financed position. You will pay me $40 to make a map for me.

OH MY GOD FINE. I'll just scrap the whole idea because nobody will help. All I'm getting is backlash and insults. There are a few people saying helpful things but it seems as if (ESPECIALLY after my last response) most of what I'm receiving are people being against me. I'm no builder. I'm a designer. But everywhere I turn all the builders won't work with a designer like me. It's "do it yourself I'm gonna completely ignore the fact that you've clearly stated that you tried that and I do my maps myself so now you have to" It's like ALL I WANTED was someone else to work with here and judging by what I get mostly that's not gonna happen. Around 52% of these posts are unhelpful and only tell me I'll get nowhere. This was a cool idea that will be forever lost because not many people can see that I just want my idea to come true. And it won't happen if I take to the people of a toxic community like doomworld.

Again, to the few of you actually being helpful to me, I really appreciate you. Mostly @Nine Inch Heels, @Pegleg, and @xvertigox. They seem to be the most helpful in all this. But then there are other users here only discouraging me and I think if I ever have a WAD idea I sure as hell am not sharing it to doomworld because this community can't stand it when I think of something.

I'm definitely gonna take some time not checking this forum for some time after this.

Again, I would like to give thanks to all of you who actually tried helping me.

-J

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

This was a cool idea that will be forever lost because not many people can see that I just want my idea to come true. And it won't happen if I take to the people of a toxic community like doomworld.

If you want your idea to come true, you gotta work for it to make it come true.

I don't make Doom maps that often and yes I was recently trying out Trenchbroom for Quake maps, I am happy that I am working out on my skills for mapping so far. So instead of paying people $5 dollars just to do a map for your idea to come true. Download GZDoom Builder or Ultimate Doom Builder and check these tutorials like this playlist I linked. then perhaps you can start making a couple of PWADs for Doom before eventually starting your own Community wad project (Which doesn't cost anything!) :

13 hours ago, Jason said:

The more shit released publicly, the more people already know about the map, and everyone will know how to beat it before trying because it'll all be out there.

I remember when I made my first map I had this notion too. That sharing my ideas, even though I needed help achieving them, was somehow a worse outcome than those ideas not being made at all.

Obviously this is kind of backwards thinking.  If the idea is good, and you'd want someone to make it, by far and away the best approach is to generate interest in the idea itself, not just wave $5 at them.

No-one here maps for money, we do it for fun, so money rarely interests us (unless it's a lot). What does interest us is fresh ideas and new thinking.

I'm not going to quibble with your inability to learn how to open Doom Builder and draw a square (everyone else can do that fine), but simply that if you really want your maps to be made, don't offer money, offer inspiration.

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

because nobody will help

9 hours ago, Sir Hattington said:

Ill do it for free! You can message me the details.

I honestly have no idea if this is sarcasm or not.

Spoiler

And if you really want your idea come true, eh, throw me a proof-of-concept design and I'll see about that.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

OH MY GOD FINE. I'll just scrap the whole idea because nobody will help. All I'm getting is backlash and insults. There are a few people saying helpful things but it seems as if (ESPECIALLY after my last response) most of what I'm receiving are people being against me. I'm no builder. I'm a designer. But everywhere I turn all the builders won't work with a designer like me. It's "do it yourself I'm gonna completely ignore the fact that you've clearly stated that you tried that and I do my maps myself so now you have to" It's like ALL I WANTED was someone else to work with here and judging by what I get mostly that's not gonna happen. Around 52% of these posts are unhelpful and only tell me I'll get nowhere. This was a cool idea that will be forever lost because not many people can see that I just want my idea to come true. And it won't happen if I take to the people of a toxic community like doomworld.

I fully understand your actions and thoughts, but this is quite a rash decision and I do feel a little bad now. But if you step back and read carefully, you might be able to see that what some people are trying to say. Whether or not you think they are being "toxic" and "unhelpful," they trying to do is providing feedback to the OP. It is very weird and unusual for someone to ask other people to make maps for them, except for community projects which this is clearly not. I acknowledge that you don't want to learn the tools, but at the same time, why not? It's really not that hard.

You should NEVER just scrap an idea because it got negative feedback and backlash, it should encourage you. You can use the criticism and feedback or whatever to improve yourself, not to use to just give up. And about those 52% of the posts who say you'll get nowhere, they are now kinda true. You won't succeed until you at the very least try. The only two things that was bothering me at the time of my initial post, was that there was no additional information (so no-one knew what kind of maps you wanted) and the fact that money could've been involved. DOOM mods are created with free tools, money should never be involved in creating any DOOM content.

Please do not take this post the wrong way. Hey, I like to joke around too, ey?

Edited by Scorpius

@Jason Sorry, i didn't mean to sound like a dick but it kinda pissed me off a little, (not you doing this) but putting yourself in a situation where someone could easily screw you over.

Considering how the way you chat and behave i'm going to assume you are a young person and are easily frustrated by things, I get this! i too am like that when things don't go my way i get emotional and angry, but the best way to deal with that is to push through, DON'T STOP or quit because then you are just planting a negative habit into your mindset and it can lead to a bunch of issues. (like giving up entirely on projects before they even get off the ground) (i've done this WAY TOO OFTEN)

Please don't take this the wrong way and think i'm trying to Degrade you! i'm not i'm just trying to help you understand my concerns and maybe? some of my advice will help a bit.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

You already told in the first post that you will ignore those who says that you must work your own... yet you still got angry. Listen, doom mapping isn't really that hard, just give yourself few more chances, at this age here's plenty of tutorials and we all can help you if you ask questions, hell, most of the doom builders already made mapping job easier. Besides, here's plenty of people who could teach you how to do it. I felt frustration too with some aspects, but with time and patience I've got it and understood how things work. And here's other thing - you imply that here's builders and designers. Actually mapping is more about design in my point of view...

If you had something to show - like map plan on paper, plenty of us would looked more friendly way. I'm willing to work with someone who at least put some efforts to make their dream closer to reality. Even if it's just damn square or triangle. 

To end this monologue, you can always generate map by using oblige and edit it much as you need, it will be faster and less painful method...

1 hour ago, Jason said:

All I'm getting is backlash and insults. 

So hol up lemme get this straight

You basically came in and said "hey I have an idea can someone else do the boring work for me because I literally cannot be bothered to learn anything"

Like not only you acknowledged you're willfully ignorant and unwilling to teach yourself, let alone look up a guide(of which there are many on YouTube, forums, wherever), but you also didn't even provide any sort of semblance of the creative idea you want to develop.

Let me put this in perspective for you.

Imagine walking into a book club and yelling you have the best book idea in the world, but you don't know how to write it, and want someone else to write it. When asked what's the book about, you reply "it's really awesome dude trust me we're gonna sell millions". Do you see where I'm getting at?

Like I'm not trying to tear you down, but seeing you clearly play the victim makes me think you have negative self awareness when it comes to interacting with people online. Go to any community, forum, whatever, with a similar concept, and I'm about 99.9% sure you'll get the exact same, if not even meaner responses.

And I think you said you can't seem to find mappers, implying this isn't the first place you came with this idea? Calling everyone a toxic asshole after receiving some sound advice about hard work, and how mapping (and learning to map) isn't always the most enjoyable task in the world, isn't gonna solve anything. 

I myself have some map ideas as well, but couldn't be asked with going through the effort of going through the learning process with my current schedule, and attention span(or lack thereof, thanks ADD). I can relate to that. A hobby that you have to take out multiple hours out of your week just to get started and takes a lot of effort to get good at can seem a daunting task. 

But simply running into the first chest-high wall, and then saying it's everyone else's fault you can't hop over it.. you have WAD idea threads, where you can easily get feedback, without anyone necessarily "stealing" your idea if that's what you're afraid of. People here do maps and share map ideas for fun. Not for profit. It's a hobby. Nobody's out for ideas like blood. Jesus.

If you know the plot of "I am Legend"(the book, not the movie), it is easy to draw some parallels with the current situation. If you go around calling everyone around you a raving lunatic, it just might be that it's you who is the dysfunctional one. Not the rest of the community.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

But then there are other users here only discouraging me and I think if I ever have a WAD idea I sure as hell am not sharing it to doomworld because this community can't stand it when I think of something.

Where the actual hell did you get this idea from?

If anything, as far as I can deduce, most people here are encouraging you. Why else would they be telling you to brush up on your mapping skills and learn the basics of making shit work? Think about it. It's quite evident that you have a vision, and if you hire another mapper(s) to do the dirty work for you, something is bound to get lost in translation. If you'd rather avoid that risk, you should know where your time will be better invested: learning how to map.

Trust me, it'll pay off in the long run. Just dig in and start creating.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm definitely gonna take some time not checking this forum for some time after this.

If this is supposed to make anyone feel guilty I doubt it will have that effect. It's a public forum and making an alt account takes 5 minutes. Your original request was out of the ordinary and insubstantial, so it's nobody's fault for misunderstanding or questioning your idea. Just in case you happen to come back and check on the thread, the "with me or against me" mindset is not very effective when trying to work with other people.

Your absolute reluctance to learn the basics of DOOM mapping followed by your pretty sour reaction makes me think you thought you could take the lazy route and make someone else do all your "boring" work. Honestly, I was expecting you to get far meaner responses than you did. In some communities doing this would have gotten you torn to shreds.

Part of the fun of doing anything creative is learning it and getting better at it. You say your idea will be gone forever, but nothing is preventing you from simply writing the idea down and coming back to it when you have a better understanding of your tools to make it how you want it. There's a reason pretty much everyone is telling you to try and learn it yourself, and it isn't to just be negative towards you and put you down.

I'm sure there's a dozen people here alone who would gladly tutor you. You don't have to sulk away and play the victim.

Edited by CARRiON

1 hour ago, CARRiON said:

Part of the fun of doing anything creative is learning it and getting better at it. You say your idea will be gone forever, but nothing is preventing you from simply writing the idea down and coming back to it when you have a better understanding of your tools to make it how you want it. There's a reason pretty much everyone is telling you to try and learn it yourself, and it isn't to just be negative towards you and put you down.

Exactly that, your touch is what makes your creation your own, and stand out. If someone else is handling the magic, then it's not really yours anymore is it?

19 hours ago, Jason said:

That's reserved for those who offer to do it. I give them all of that. I don't post it on the forum for everyone cause some people don't want it. And my plan is to get people to actually play it. The more shit released publicly, the more people already know about the map, and everyone will know how to beat it before trying because it'll all be out there.

If this is the part that's bothering you, you could put your current idea on hold and make some other maps just for fun in the meantime until you feel comfortable doing more on your main idea.

Well this was slightly surreal.

Concur with the others. Jason, you are seeing negativity where there is none. Take a step back. Breathe. Look at it objectively. Surely you can understand why people are somewhat baffled? I never released any maps, but I did tinker. I have not touched a map editor in nearly 20 years. But I am sure I could pick it up and do the things you want immediately. Make a line, pick your desired action, associate with sector. That's simplifying for brevity but that's the guts of it. Maybe what you should be asking for is if someone is willing to spare some time for some one on one instruction?

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Again, to the few of you actually being helpful to me, I really appreciate you. Mostly @Nine Inch Heels, @Pegleg, and @xvertigox. They seem to be the most helpful in all this. But then there are other users here only discouraging me and I think if I ever have a WAD idea I sure as hell am not sharing it to doomworld because this community can't stand it when I think of something.

-J

What a bunch of baloney, I said I would do it for free and now your throwing a temper tantrum. It would appear that you are the toxic one on this forum @Jason

On 1/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, BBQgiraffe said:

I've seen idea guys on Fiverr and Reddit, but this is my first time seeing an idea guy on a Doom forum

what's an Idea guy?

13 hours ago, Jason said:

-J

Yo that shit's so salty I'm pretty sure you just killed every slug on the planet by typing that.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

4 minutes ago, Breezeep said:

I just don't understand why you cant do it yourself, Jason.

I learned how to make Doom maps watching my older brother when I was 12, and I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack let me tell you. 

It seems though at this point we're not going to get any kind of clear or reasonable response, let alone plans for a mapset or any kind of further details. It's not like it's Fort Knox, it's a user level for a videogame.