Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
igg

Marauder theory

In the Doom Eternal trailer released on Tuesday the Marauder calls Doom Slayer a usurper, a false idol.

You are nothing but a usurper

What did Doom Slayer take? What makes him a usurper? Well, according to Doom 2016 he got the crown of the Night Sentinels.

He wore the crown of the Night Sentinels,

In Doom 2016s codex entries we were also told:

The bargain was struck thus: for the return of the Betrayer's only son, lost on the battlefield, Deag Grav must be taken to the source of their power, the Elemental Wraiths. 

[...]

For his payment, the Betrayer's son was returned to him in our form, and the Icon of Sin was brought upon the heathens. 

My guess: The Marauder is the Betrayer's son:

• The Betrayer's only son died on the battlefield (-> he was a warrior)
  • He looks like a composite of dead flesh (-> returned in their form) powered by argent energy (-> red light on his chest)
  • He doesn't accept that Doom Slayer wears the crown of the Night Sentinels because either
    • he knows that the Slayer is not of the same origin thus not a legit king
    • or the Marauder considers himself as the true king, since his father was the king of the Night Sentinels
  • The Betrayer himself must have been old (his son was a warrior) and powerful (access to Wraiths)
  • Edit: Almost forgot... the Marauder seems to live/rule in Sentinel Prime which is infested with demons

Fair analysis. I like the idea that the Betrayer is the King, who's son died, returned as the Marauder who now views Doom Guy as a usurper because he lead the Sentinels.

Sometimes I also think either the Marauder or the King are the real Slayers.

This passage in the codex

"seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him" always gave me pause. Who wronged the OG Doomguy?

The Usurper thing has really thrown me. It's almost as if Doomguy has switched places with whoever was really in that tomb in the first place.

Hmmm, I figured the Marauder would be the Betrayer, but I never considered him being the son.

I guess the whole “Icon of Sin” thing threw me off, interpreting it literally anyway. But in this case, it could simply mean having the likeness of a demon, which makes a lot more sense than the son being the actual IoS.

@igg I have always thought and said that Marauder is Betrayer's son. Who knows?? We both can be possibly wrong. I'm excited for Doom Eternal!

Didn't people think the betrayer was the doom slayer?

Putting those two theories together, does that mean the marauder is the slayer's son?