Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OfficalGeeDee

Orphaned Bones beta release

16 minutes ago, [Vitz!] said:

It's already starting to look nice. Just remember to leave the correct sky later!

oof, that would have totally passed my mind. Thank you, I'll be sure to do that!

7 minutes ago, tam said:

I like it, it looks like something off of E3 in Doom 1, except actually polished!

Lol, thank you. Although, I'd say its fair to still call me an amateur at mapping

I absolutely love the door texture. Cacos are always cute, and it really fits well / is lined up very well. Kinda lukewarm on the wall caco though. Can't put a finger on it why though. Maybe trace a different frame from the animation? I dunno. But that's just my opinion, I can be really picky sometimes. 

Still looks cool though. 

12 minutes ago, UncleTito said:

Kinda lukewarm on the wall caco though. Can't put a finger on it why though. Maybe trace a different frame from the animation? I dunno. But that's just my opinion, I can be really picky sometimes. 

Still looks cool though. 

What if I were to make the green parts orange-tan ish in color, then make the caco match that. I could also make those color changes to the plain gray skull marble wall. I’ll toy around with it somehow and see how it goes. Glad you like the door as well!

I love the caco textures, they look great but not out of place. That and those kinds of door and wall textures really wear me out after playing Thy Flesh Consumed with no saves

Door Caco is great, it looks so happy to greet the player. Wall Caco feels like it's saying "You again." It's all because of the slight difference in expression, Wall Caco's eye and mouth aren't quite as wide open compared to the Door Caco.

I personally love both (because y'know, it's hard to really dislike a Cacodemon), I'm just pointing out what makes Wall Caco feel different to Door Caco.

2 hours ago, OfficalGeeDee said:

I'm trying to come back to mapping. I'm currently working on a 1 map project for DOOM 2, it's an early WIP. I don't have much to show at the moment, except for a name for the map and a screenshot of the opening portion. I'm going for an 'ambient hell vibe' and I hope to capture it decently. I'll try to update this as often as I can, and hopefully soon release a "beta" so I can get some feedback before finalizing it. It's a GZDOOM map, I don't plan on using any fancy GZDOOM stuff, I'm just using it cause I cant be bothered to properly set my custom title screen and such to the classic Doom palette. (cause I cant figure out how to do it no matter how much tinkering I do...)

-Here's the opening of the map. I call it "Orphaned Bones build the Temple"

Reveal hidden contents

Temple.png.cd419272fda15378818f40e3db3bbb36.png

Also, if possible, maybe some feedback on 2 custom textures I have "made". I like how they look, but idk if others' may have the same opinion. 1st is a Door, 2nd is a Wall.

Hide contents

COOR11_1.png.a0777887482eee2b9932bd6066cb1776.pngCW7_3.png.ddda2a8a6c6ffd651f022971acd27527.png

Looks good so far! Love your custom textures, might wanna use them in a later project if that's alright. With credits of course. ;)

8 hours ago, Contmotore said:

Looks good so far! Love your custom textures, might wanna use them in a later project if that's alright. With credits of course. ;)

I wouldn’t have any problems with that :)

9 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Really liking the look of that screenshot, and the custom textures look great. It's awesome to see you dabbling in that! Excited to see where this goes.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, tam said:

That and those kinds of door and wall textures really wear me out after playing Thy Flesh Consumed with no saves

I know exactly how you feel.

8 hours ago, Lollie said:

I personally love both (because y'know, it's hard to really dislike a Cacodemon), I'm just pointing out what makes Wall Caco feel different to Door Caco.

I couldn’t agree more, Cacos are without a doubt my favorite monster, as cliche as it is. Sandy Petersen loved them a lot too ;)

Would anyone perhaps be interested in me posting some BTS of the mapping? I have some free time this weekend and I’m gonna be on a recording binge anyways, playing other users’ WADs

this looks great so far! I will totally play it when it's done! Really dig the custom textures btw!

I've made a few texture changes, and added some more pics to the OP. Thank you to everyone that is showing interest in this Map. It really means a lot to me right now in this time, and it helps to keep me motivated.

Beta release is now live of this map, I need some help with finding out if any changes need to be made, I've tested a number of times. GZDOOM is needed! I'm just looking for feedback from others!

Just took the beta for a spin, and this is a really solid opening map. The first encounter when you get inside, as the walls lower to reveal the Revenant, Pinky, and Imp cages was a great setup, and probably my favorite in the map. I loved how it applied sudden pressure to the player from both sides, and pushed you forward into danger to get that much needed Chaingun. I do think there was a missed opportunity with the yellow key setup -- given that the Archvile can't actually leave the room it's in as far as I could tell, I think you could release the AV and the Lost Souls simultaneously, making that trap a lot more effective (just my opinion).

As for the new textures, I think they fit the map well and look great. The layout and texture work in general seemed good across the board, with some nice details in the form of broken walls and ceilings. The whole entrance area at the start of the map was the definite standout here for me (though I felt like I was facing the opposite direction of how I'd expect to be facing upon entering the map -- a very minor nitpick though).

The only (bug?) I wanted to point out was the skull platform in the AV room that has the soulsphere and mega armor (screenshot in the spoiler tag below). It's a pain sector, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be? I only say that because the identical platform right before it is not a pain sector. If this is intentional though, you could probably just get rid of the platform entirely so the player knows "Okay, I'm going to grab those goodies but I should be quick because it's lava".

Spoiler

F3O89qQ.png

Also, I ended up having to open the map in the editor to find the secret. Without wall-humping the entire map, I doubt I would've ever found it. If there's some form of indication that I missed, then please ignore this, but it felt pretty cryptic. I think even if you simply gave that sector a flickering light special, this may be enough. It would at least cause the player to wonder why one torch was flickering while the other wasn't.

Overall this was a fun little map, and feels like it could serve very well as an opener for a small episode or something. I'd love to see more custom textures, but you've done a great job already. I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this progresses!   

11 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

The only (bug?) I wanted to point out was the skull platform in the AV room that has the soulsphere and mega armor (screenshot in the spoiler tag below). It's a pain sector, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be? I only say that because the identical platform right before it is not a pain sector. If this is intentional though, you could probably just get rid of the platform entirely so the player knows "Okay, I'm going to grab those goodies but I should be quick because it's lava".

Also, I ended up having to open the map in the editor to find the secret. Without wall-humping the entire map, I doubt I would've ever found it. If there's some form of indication that I missed, then please ignore this, but it felt pretty cryptic. I think even if you simply gave that sector a flickering light special, this may be enough. It would at least cause the player to wonder why one torch was flickering while the other wasn't.

Overall this was a fun little map, and feels like it could serve very well as an opener for a small episode or something. I'd love to see more custom textures, but you've done a great job already. I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this progresses!   

Thank you for this feedback, I'll be sure to change the hurt floor, I guess it's cause I made it hurt before deciding to raise a platform out of it, therefore it shared the same effect. As for the secret, the light level on the torch is different, but I guess not different enough. The automap should indicate that there is a door there, but I will most likely make that area flicker randomly. I'm glad that you had fun with it and enjoyed the new textures. And that revenant room was my favorite part to make. Thank you again, and in the final release of this map, I'll throw your name in the credit screen.

10 minutes ago, OfficalGeeDee said:

As for the secret, the light level on the torch is different, but I guess not different enough. The automap should indicate that there is a door there,

OOF! I didn't notice the light level difference, and definitely didn't check the automap (I have a bad habit of not using that thing, so this might be more of a me problem). The credit is unnecessary though, just happy to provide some (hopefully useful) feedback.

19 minutes ago, Sir Hattington said:

Cool level; my only complaints are that there is a bit too much ammo, but other than that this is a great map.

What ammo in particular did you feel there was too much of? I personally think that maybe I can remove some of the Boxes of Shells and it might be better.

Just now, OfficalGeeDee said:

What ammo in particular did you feel there was too much of? I personally think that maybe I can remove some of the Boxes of Shells and it might be better.

There was too much shotgun ammo.

Well you made me play on GZDoom so that means that this map is great =) . Sadly it's a Gzdoom only wad , it doesn't load on dosbox (missing patch 0 in texture s3dummy) and it crashes on crispy doom and on prboom+ (R_InitTextures: 1 errors)

i loved the new caco wall and door textures , you can't go wrong with anything that involves flying tomatoes xD

1 minute ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

Well you made me play on GZDoom so that means that this map is great =) . Sadly it's a Gzdoom only wad , it doesn't load on dosbox (missing patch 0 in texture s3dummy) and it crashes on crispy doom and on prboom+ (R_InitTextures: 1 errors)

i loved the new caco wall and door textures , you can't go wrong with anything that involves flying tomatoes xD

I wasn't bothered to properly palette the new textures, and I think I may have used a few flats as wall textures. Those are the big reasons why the map doesn't work in crispy. As for prboom+ I'm fairly certain it was clashing with the png files. I'm glad you liked the caco textures! Flying tomatoes are great.

4 minutes ago, OfficalGeeDee said:

I wasn't bothered to properly palette the new textures, and I think I may have used a few flats as wall textures. Those are the big reasons why the map doesn't work in crispy. As for prboom+ I'm fairly certain it was clashing with the png files. I'm glad you liked the caco textures! Flying tomatoes are great.

ahh i see , slade says that there is no size for s3dummy patch and it only displays a little black and red square .