Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maximum Matt

Let's talk about Enjay Doom for a goddamn minute

Having played through both NJDoom an NJDoom2, i can attest to this. Its a remarkable achievement, done in a time where doing maps was a lot different than how it is today.

And Enjay's maps aren't just one room one-offs or testings: They are proper levels that clearly deviate from id's own work.

NJDoom and its offsprings are the megawad OG's that inspired the whole megawad idea to begin with. If anything else, that is one heck of an achievement.

I didn't even know about Enjay's Doom until this thread

I thought Memento Mori was the first megawad

Ill have to try Enjay's Doom and play through it

NJZDoom 2001 is a nice version of this that makes experimental use of early ZDoom features. I'd recommend it to see how he continued to evolve towards the master GZDoom craftsman he is today. 

I have vague memories of playing a level or two of those, but maybe not in a megawad. Some levels are annoying but some are very fun for oldschool. I've just reached that altered wolfenstein grosse level and besides the exit there is one additional secret in the Cybie room.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:52 AM, Maximum Matt said:

* the open 'sandbox' layout of map16;

Playing it now - and it's generally good fun - that level in particular reminded me of Rise of the Triad. It has the same open-air-with-pillars design and I wonder which came first.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:52 AM, Maximum Matt said:

if you wanna stick your nose into some Maximum Doom, you can't do any better than this.

Damning with faint praise. :>

My notes from Maximum Doom say that, while NJDOOM2's technical quality and thematics are indeed exceptional (especially for 1995), the second half seemed repetitive. Combat difficulty remained constant, pinkies and lost souls were everywhere, and UV provided far too much extra ammo. If indeed each map was originally released alone, then some of this is not the author's fault. With 20/20 hindsight, a distilled eight to twelve maps might have felt more focused.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Optimus said:

I've just reached that altered wolfenstein grosse level and besides the exit there is one additional secret in the Cybie room.

I just checked map 31 from this against the original, and the only differences are the exit rooms are square and not slightly angled.  Now that's some pedantry.  (Hold on, am I projecting??)

6 hours ago, Xeriphas1994 said:

My notes from Maximum Doom

Dude you should post them up on here!! 

Amen to that huge post! I loved NJDOOM2 when I first played through it.

This thread makes me want to burn through it again! :)

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

* slow clap

Hey now, bad bump reason aside, I got reminded of another classic megawad to try. It all works out..I think.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:19 PM, Diabolución said:

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/f2e1b26f56c6fdf7cf83310ece45009b

https://doomshack.org/uploads/DM2NJ.ZIP

Full version, the one with the slightly edited Wolfenstein levels described by the OP. The one of /idgames lacks these levels.

Thank you for this. I never grab censored/cut versions if possible.

2 hours ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

*That's what she said

Btw Kes, since you are going to be playing N wads (and thus the NJDoom wad) soon, I recommend that instead of using NJDOOM12.wad, you should use the original NJDOOM.wad. Because from what I tested, NJDOOM12.wad is the same Doom 1 wad converted to Doom 2 and you know how conversions go (stuck monsters, softlocks etc.)

I also recommend to play NJDOOM.wad before NJDOOM2.wad (since NJDOOM2 was released later and is likely to be more polished)

Bump of the century.

Well, skimming through the maps, they seem pretty high quality for an old 1994 WAD. Might give this a play.

Edited by Wavy : I can't English

how much of a difference is there between the Doom and Doom 2 versions and the ZDoom version? Kinda curious, but I dont want to play through it three times with a wad backlog as big as mine is

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Btw Kes, since you are going to be playing N wads (and thus the NJDoom wad) soon, I recommend that instead of using NJDOOM12.wad, you should use the original NJDOOM.wad. Because from what I tested, NJDOOM12.wad is the same Doom 1 wad converted to Doom 2 and you know how conversions go (stuck monsters, softlocks etc.)

I also recommend to play NJDOOM.wad before NJDOOM2.wad (since NJDOOM2 was released later and is likely to be more polished)

Thanks for the recommendation, but I think I'll just stick to the crappy converted version.

10 minutes ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

Thanks for the recommendation, but I think I'll just stick to the crappy converted version.

Me: *bangs head on wall*

10 hours ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

Truly a man of culture.

Just found out about this. Is there a way to play the mapset with GZDoom with the proper level names?

16 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Just found out about this. Is there a way to play the mapset with GZDoom with the proper level names?

NJDoom2.rar
Enjoy yourself, thats the story i wrote for it. With map names and so, too.

Here is a recommended Status Bar for it.

Crappy looking, but i found it really fitting for it, somehow.
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/mystbar

Enjay Doom II should be on the top 100 for me.

One if the first complete replacement mapset and a hell of fun with a lot of things that would later be use to greater extents.
Here is the indepth review of it:

On 1/19/2020 at 7:43 AM, Mystic 256 said:

I thought Memento Mori was the first megawad

Just FYI Enjay Doom isn't the first megawad either, though it probably is the first with almost all maps being by a single creator.

There were several "compilation" megawads released even earlier, the most (in)famous of which may be NEWDOOM.wad:  https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/m-o/newdoom

If you go by the definition of a megawad being anything with 15 or more levels, two of the authors of MM had themselves developed a megawad before MM, Obituary: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/m-o/obtic11

Edit: some more megawad that came out before MM (but not Enjay Doom)

The Abyss: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/abyss24a

BF_Thud!: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=1248

Cleimos 2: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=18135

Edited by NiGHTMARE

I played some last night, and TBH I don't understand what's so good about it. Looks very crude, even for its time.

6 hours ago, Pechudin said:

I played some last night, and TBH I don't understand what's so good about it. Looks very crude, even for its time.

Visually, yes, but the level design seems solid enough in terms of pacing and enemy and items placement.

Hopefully, someone remakes the mapset by updating the visuals.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Hopefully, someone remakes the mapset by updating the visuals.

Enjay Himsel did that for his Enjay ZDoom.

He is kinda low profile and don't make much buzz with every release, but he is a monster modder for zdoom base ports.

Waterlab GZD from 2017 was a runner up of the cacowards. Marvelous map.

There is a Thief crossover with Heretic made by him, and is excellent, too. Thief: Trail of the Arch-Heretic i think it was called. Amazing mod.
He is one of the oldest and still active mappers from when Doom just come out.

Edited by P41R47

On 8/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, Rudolph said:

So is it better to just skip NJDOOM2 and play Enjay Zdoom instead?

two different kind of monsters i would say.
can't compare them as they are different enough from each other

On 8/11/2021 at 3:40 AM, Rudolph said:

So is it better to just skip NJDOOM2 and play Enjay Zdoom instead?

I had a look at both, and the ZDoom version uses pretty different versions of the maps, the pyramid map for example, uses ZDoom specials to be an actual sloped pyramid, and theres animated skies and all sorts of changes. Basically youve got an old classic version, and a more modern version. A 'modern' version thats TWENTY years old x.x

Okay, I'll revise my opinion somewhat. The design is mostly corridors but the combat and layout of those corridors is pretty good. MAP16 even had a decent "dwelling area" feel.

EDIT: Even died a couple of times, and pistol start ammo balance is tight later on.