Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roboticmehdi2

playing doom like

Mods are not supposed to work with the shareware version of the game and doing so is technically breaking the software license that comes with it. Obviously nothing is really stopping an enterprising person from modifying the shareware IWAD if they so choose, but it's considered bad form.

I remember many years ago when I first discovered Doom Shareware around 99, there was a wad that covers all textures with jungle like marijuana for Doom 1 & 2 and claims to work on Doom Shareware however I never did tested it to see if it works as back then I didn't know how to load wads.

40 minutes ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

See what I found, John Romero's e1m8 "Tech gone bad" is a shareware mod, works with doom1.wad.

I am interested in more shareware compatible mods, mainly map mods. (and not gameplay mods.)

Do you know how to get a mod for Shareware to run? I tried Zandronum and GZDoom and both say I can't use the Shareware version :/

Also, does Romero's E1M4 replacement work?

Yes, I ran into this a couple of times by accident when I tried to run mods with DOOM.WAD or DOOM2.WAD and accidentally loaded DOOM1.WAD and GZDoom threw up an error saying, "You cannot -file with the shareware version.  Register!"

I remember that when I had a very old version of Doom back in the '90s (v1.1 or 1.2) there was a section somewhere specifically requesting that people don't mod the shareware version because id Software felt it would detract from sales of the registered version.  Presumably this got officially clarified in the license for subsequent patches.

IIRC the original shareware v1.2 (and, presumably, earlier versions too if I'm correct on this) did not block the use of the -file parameter.

An EULA clause disallowing the creation and distribution of third-party levels that work with shareware releases was pretty much de rigeur those days, you can find it in licenses for Rise of the TriadDuke Nukem 3D (CON editing was allowed and encouraged; but Duke3D shareware won't read modified levels from the game directory anyway, you need to hack then into the GRP) etc. etc. People still made stuff for shareware Wolfenstein-3D at least, but I'm not sure about Doom shareware mods.

The only exception I know is the shareware version of Crack Dot Com's Abuse which shipped with a level editor and even held a contest for user-made levels (the first shareware release for IBM PC DOS was v0.33). This was entirely scrapped when EA/Origin took over distribution and disabled the level editor in the demo (but you can still load and play custom levels though).