Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skullhacker

What's the best time to make a wad?

People have had mapping trouble since the very beginning of Doom mapping. Today we ask the age old questions: what is the best time to make a map? How should you make one? And why should you make one?

Edited by Skullhacker : I ended saying "Seriously, why should you make a Doom map?" and I didn't wanna sound like I was saying it was pointless.

Who should make a Doom map? Everybody!

When should I make a Doom map? Now!

Where should I make a Doom map? Not on your phone, that's for sure.

How should I make a Doom map? With the bones of your enemies.

Why should I make a Doom map? To crush your enemies in rooms full of crushers. To bath in the blood of the fallen. To hear the wailing of the demons.

Who? Everyone.

When? Whenever you wish.

Where? On your PC in UDB of GZDB-bugfix.

How? With the ashes of your fallen enemies.

Why? Why the hell not :p .

for me personally?

3am after slamming a Redbull 

(since most of my creativity is at it's max when i'm on a sugar rush)

I ONLY DO THIS LIKE 1 TIME A WEEK! 

any other time i use coffee

What is the best time to make a map?

Whenever you feel like doing it, honestly. Don't rush art or you'll get poor results. Keep your mind as clean as you can when working on it and (try to) focus.

How should you make one?

Aside from the Builders mentioned by other members, try using Doom Builder X. It's pretty good too, from my experience.

Also always consider ripping open other community projects to study them (not to copy them... please) using Slade3 or another program like it. It really helps to learn new techniques. You could try using BOOMEDIT.WAD to study how things work in a Boom environment like I did for one of my maps.

Also consider using the ZDoom Wiki or another wiki with tutorials/documentation on features. It can be very useful, especially as reference for coding. It has info on the Boom stuff I mentioned earlier too if you feel like checking it out.

Why should you make one?

That's a question you should ask to yourself. For me the answer is that I have an idea and I need to get it out of my head before I get crazy that I believe is worth trying and seems fun. Your answer might be different, though...

Also doing creative stuff in general should be considered a healthy activity in my opinion. People should try this kind of stuff more often.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

I'll be playing ANY GAME and then be like "Why aren't I mapping" then quit and start mapping. Either that, or I see some interesting geometry or design concept irl/in a game n I get the mapper urge.

"The best time to make a new level,

is all the time,

one with a colored turtle neck,

that's the kind that I like."

....oh wait....

You can create maps for the sole purpose of make players rage with sadistic traps and high difficulty.

Another way to have fun is to make super weird maps in community projects in order to create a big contrast with other maps and gain visibility.

You can create maps and put music you like in them to share your musical tastes in a creative way.

2 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Who should make a Doom map? YOU

When should you make a Doom map? RIGHT NOW

Where should you make a Doom map? AT YOUR COMPUTER

How should you make a Doom map? WITH GZDB OR UDB

Why should you make a Doom map? BECAUSE THE WORLD IS COUNTING ON YOU

XD

Love that response.

1 hour ago, [Vitz!] said:

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

This was very helpful. I'm always touched by how many people look at these!

I've been finding more and more lately that mapping is most productive for me when I do it after exercising. usually I'll feel a little drained or lethargic after getting home from work in the evening, but doing some exercise afterwards always restores my motivation and gets me in the right mindset

Who should make a Doom map?                Any carbon based life form capable of complex thinking.

What should make a Doom map?              A program that can create .wad files.

When should you make a Doom map?       At 4 AM because you've lost control of your life.

Where should you make a Doom map?      In the restroom while on the can.

Why should you make a Doom map?         Because maps filled with demons kill Doomguys, and the Doomguy population is                                                                                  getting too damn high!

How should you make a Doom map?         By drawing random shapes and creating happy little accidents.

3 hours ago, Skullhacker said:

People have had mapping trouble since the very beginning of Doom mapping. Today we ask the age old questions: what is the best time to make a map? How should you make one? And why should you make one?

Seriously, why should you make a map?

I'll tell you one way of when to make a doom map. It's when you are having a slow work season at your job. Normally, winter would be a slow season for me. However, this year has been an exception for me, since I've spent over 60 hours working working for the past 2 weeks. I've found very little opportunity to find the time for mapping because of this. Don't get me wrong, overtime is always nice to have for the extra cash, but it can start to be a drag when your itching to find time to make meaningful progress on your map.

• What's the best time to make a wad? - When you make a thread on DoomWorld asking when the best time to make a WAD is.
  • What is the best time to make a map? - Around the same time that you previously asked what the best time to make a WAD is.
  • How should you make one? - Using a level editor like Ultimate Doom Builder. Or go oldskool - Draw by hand. Use an A2 or A1 sheet for that.
  • And why should you make one? - To demonstrate the ethical and moral concepts of level design versus explaining what dabbing is to a Fortnite player.
  • Seriously, why should you make a map? - Seriously? To demonstrate the concepts of fun that one will experience because making maps is fun.

In your case, the fun is not making maps, but opening threads asking what the best time to make a wad is.

So let me tell you what dabbing is...

The best time to map is when you feel inspiration and have a vivid image in your mind of something you want to make.

When - dead of midnight

Where - basement (or toilet)

Which - slaughtermaps with like, ALL the revenants 

How - with the oldest level editor you can dig up, to maximize that retro flavor.  I'm talking about crappy node builders and manual texture alignment

Why - because Doom 

Who - Well Romero preferably 

22 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

When - dead of midnight

Where - basement (or toilet)

Which - slaughtermaps with like, ALL the revenants 

How - with the oldest level editor you can dig up, to maximize that retro flavor.  I'm talking about crappy node builders and manual texture alignment

Why - because Doom 

Who - Well Romero preferably 

I wasn't sure until I got to the last line, now I'm sold 100%. 

Before, I was going to say "strike while the iron is hot" and now that takes on a strange new meaning. 

It's true though.

The best time to craft a Doom wad is during a full moon. At this time the Sun, Earth, and Moon are in perfect alignment and the creative energies of the cosmos are easiest to access. Make sure to check your horoscope before you begin; if it does not bode well, wait one month.

Edited by Muscle Witch : spelling

There is nothing stopping you from opening Doom Builder right now and making something. I lied, there is one thing. Yourself.

4 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

the best time is when I'm trying to sleep but the ideas keep flooding into my brAIN

Relatable.

4 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

The best time to map is when you feel inspiration and have a vivid image in your mind of something you want to make.

Well put. I always try to imagine a real place and work on a single room or two for, like, half an hour.