Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

What was your first exposure to doom, (not via the shareware doom game)

My dad had this snes rom collection when I was like 3 or 4 and snes doom just happened to be on it, so he showed me how to play it. Didn't ever make it past the first level, but I've loved the game ever since then.

Not the shareware? Blame @Negostrike. I played E1 a lot as a kid, but he showed me multiplayer, wads, mods, etc.

I did have a tiny career making (unpublished) maps before meeting him, but uh. Almost every single thing I remember makes me cringe. 14yo me definitely didn't know how to design maps.

First exposure to Doom was ironically, the black sheep of the family, Doom 64. Was at a cousin's house and I was like 11 or 12 at the time so this game was different to the now kiddie games I had then.

The two weapons in that game that threw me for a loop was the chainsaw and plasma gun. I'd never seen them. This game took on a legendary status for me back then. I'd be psyched if a proper pwad for Doom 64 with the right lighting and music came out.

Edited by warman2012

14 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

the black sheep of the family, Doom 64.

No, that would definitely be Doom 3. In fact, I've heard people refer to it as that numerous times. Doom 64 is way more in line with the spirit of the original than Doom 3. It's also exponentially better than Doom 3, but that's beside the point. 

First remember seeing DOOM Shareware somewhere late 1993, and early 1994 a guy who was a couple of years older than me and then son of my moms friend showing a custom map with the Spider Mastermind and BFG, with lots of SLADWALL and BROWNGRN. Don't know what map that was. Then I forgot about it for some time, until we went to celebrate new year 1995-1996 to the same place where I'd seen it before. I asked the same guy if I could play some DOOM and he took me upstairs to his fathers office, who is an architect and opened up his computer. There, he opened DOOM for me and I got IDDQD and IDKFA and went into the Shores of Hell. I remember sitting for hours in the dark room, and spending lots of time in E2M2 trying to figure out how to get ahead, with god mode on and imps constantly tearing away at my back because I was walking around instead of running.

My brother and the other kids were having fun with fireworks outside. I joined them for a moment. Then back to DOOM and I tried Inferno this time. Before we had to leave some point after the year had changed, I asked the guy to copy DOOM v1.2 to floppy disks for me. I still have those disks somewhere. I didn't have a PC back then and waited for almost 6 months to get my first one from my dad, which was around May 1996. Before that I was playing DOOM at various friends places, even multiplayer with a dialup connection on two computers.

A few months later in the summer of 1996 I got the Ultimate DOOM from a local shop, and DOOM2 on floppy disks from another friend, and bought Final DOOM when it came into shops. Then finally found DOOM2 boxed version in 1997. I started editing my own maps already right after getting my first PC, though. The first map I made was for DOOM, and it was called insane.wad, with two 256-high rooms, floor6_1 floor, marbface walls and f_sky1. Lots of BFG's, invulnerability spheres and around twenty cyberdemons. The rest is history. :D

Back in the late summer of 1995, I saw an advertisement in MacWorld shrieking about how cool and scary Doom 2 was, with vivid descriptions of its demonic enemies and its badass gameplay. I knew I had to have it, and I bought it in September, 1995. When I got stuck on Map03, endlessly trolled by Spectres, I downloaded the shareware version as a sort of boot camp, since obviously, in my mind, Doom 1 had to be wimpy compared to Doom 2. And indeed, KDiTD is much easier than E1 of Doom 2, but I was an FPS novice and still had major problems, especially in M5 and M6, but once boot camp was complete, I went back to Doom 2, conquered Map03, and went the distance.

I eventually bought Ultimate Doom, primarily for Thy Flesh Consumed, which is still iconic for me, especially Perfect Hatred and Against Thee Wickedly. I also bought my first PC in 1996, a P-166 with a Voodoo card, so I could play Quake, but I decided to buy Doom 95 as well, and in the end I played more Doom than Quake. Meanwhile, I started making maps on the Mac with Hellmaker and haven't stopped, except for ultimately switching to the Doom Builder family of editors.

My first exposure to doom was, like with many of people, with the shareware, i was a really young kid and the game scared me shitless, gave me nightmares and i couldn't bear to even watch it for a long time

As for the first non shareware exposure, a couple of years later, still being a kid, i got really interested with ghostbusters, and searching the web i found out about the ghostbusters doom mod, i got fascinated by it and eventually i found about this whole rabbit hole that is doom modding in general, some time after playing and messing with the mod i started looking into the game running the mod, and it wasn't as scary as i had remembered it, and it actually was really fun to play, and even better there was a sea of custom content from the community.

My first experience with Doom when I was 7, I first played it in my Uncle's computer.

The first time I played the game, I selected Episode 1, and I almost ran out of ammo because I didn't understand the controllers, I killed the 4 Zombiemen and I couldn't kill the Imp, after that I selected Episode 3, and I almost Died that I ended up Quitting the game in fear, because I couldn't see the Imps that are attacking me, they were blended with the visuals.

18 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

MANY WORDS

dang, i wish i could've been introduced to doom like that. I don't think i've ever had an experience where a game actually got into my nightmares... it sounds like an interesting experience!

3 hours ago, Tartlman said:

it sounds like an interesting experience!

its not lol

The first time I played doom was in class back when I was in middle school. I was around 14 at the time and we had 15 minutes before the bell rang, so we had time to do whatever we wanted. I decided to play some flash games, and I found Doom episode 1. I would play this religiously for the rest of middle school. I would try and beat Episode 1 on every difficulty in the game. I would go home and write down where I can find secrets and bring the notes to school. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to get caught and therefore get the site banned. Unfortunately, when I got into High School, I found out the site got blocked. No matter what, I couldn't find the game on any other available site. I was heartbroken.

my first exposure to Doom was because My father told me a lot about the doom and wolfestein games and how hard they were back then,later on,i downloaded doom anthology and played that a lot until i got all the original doom games on steam.

My first exposure in Doom (besides the shareware version in late 1993) was somewhere in mid-1994. Also I've got DEU at that time, and after finished Doom the first PWAD I've played was Knee Deep in DEU. Next year I got the Doom2 CD-ROM. Also at that time I've found an unofficial utility Doom cd-rom full of PWADs and utilities. I was very exited! These old years I had not internet connection at home, and even any downloads from the University lab were limited by the ISDN line (which was considered fast at that time) had to be transferred home in 1.44 disks.

Years later, in 2004, I've purchased my first laptop just to play Doom3, since my 5 years old desktop was not capable of playing it.

As a mapper I've used DEU to create some very naive maps I've played myself. I was never good at mapping.

My first exposure as a programmer was the DEU source code. At the time I had purchased Heretic and I made an attempt to alter the DEU code to work with Heretic. Unfortunately my skills in C were not enough to make a stable working version. Thankfully there were other more fruitful attempts. After that, I had created a utility that altered a Doom1 PWAD to work with Heretic. It just altered the things, floor and wall textures and probably some line specials, can't recall. It was actually working with or without bugs, but the source code is totally lost. This was the year 1996. It was not a serious attempt, can't recall, but probably the output of 2-3 days of work.