Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bees With Teeth

Presenting The Ghoul - A hard-punching demon-resurrecting custom beastie! (dehacked)

This is pretty cool bro, will def use in the future (crediting u ofc)

11/10, would Archvilen't again

Edit: The fact it makes the archviles not resurrect enemies anymore is probably a technical limitation but I guess it'd make ya think more about enemy placement? It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. 

You're free to play around with the Ghoul and use it any way you want, really. If you wanted it tweaked in any way (more health, ranged attack, etc) and are not familiar with Dehacked, let me know. 

There's not a way I can think of to have both Archviles AND another creature both resurrect in Dehacked. While the resurrection itself works fine, the game is hard coded to jump to special frames for the creature while it is resurrecting another and once that animation is complete it will always go to a specific next frame/state . When used on other creatures, say an imp, it would cause the imp to turn into an arch vile to resurrect, and then would run around looking like an arch vile until the next time it tries to attack, is in pain or dies. Of course you could change the sprites for that animation and value for the next frame to go to imp's frames instead, but then you'd have the opposite problem with the Arch Vile graphically turning into an imp.

Turns out it is possible to have multiple monsters resurrect. Using any Refire and Look code pointer you can have the resurrect differentiate between whos using it. Heres a test map where the FormerHuman can also resurrect. The animation (or lack thereof) isn't ideal but it shows it's possible and could probably be refined to look better, especially is both monsters share a similar sprite.

MultipleRez.rar

Would it be alright if I took this and tried to convert this monster to a DECORATE-friendly type? I've been looking for a reason to actually try creating monsters and I liked the idea when you first mentioned it, so that'd be fun. With full credit, of course.  

2 hours ago, TravyB said:

Would it be alright if I took this and tried to convert this monster to a DECORATE-friendly type? I've been looking for a reason to actually try creating monsters and I liked the idea when you first mentioned it, so that'd be fun. With full credit, of course.  

Of course! I don't know decorate myself, so I'm glad someone is interested in doing it. If you wanted, I could include your decorate into the main wad pacakge. Likewise, I'd give you credit for it.

2 hours ago, Btyb88 said:

Turns out it is possible to have multiple monsters resurrect. Using any Refire and Look code pointer you can have the resurrect differentiate between whos using it. Heres a test map where the FormerHuman can also resurrect. The animation (or lack thereof) isn't ideal but it shows it's possible and could probably be refined to look better, especially is both monsters share a similar sprite.

MultipleRez.rar

Interesting! I'll take a look.

EDIT: Aaahh, I see! Those code pointers somehow cause it to skip back to the proper state for that thing, and the duration of the actual resurrection animation is set to zero to sidestep that problem of shared sprites. How interesting.. Dehacked is fascinatingly strange!

Edited by Bees With Teeth

I've been messing around with dehacked a lot lately and realized using refire and look can be really useful for forcing monsters back to their respective walk states rather than to a specific frame.