Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hcoop111

making a wad

I remember my first WAD. I thought it was cool. Before I learned anything I would be amazed at just drawing sectors and  then going into it with 3d view and walking through the shape I made even with the red exclamation points for missing textures. Hell I didn't even know to set up a port for testing. I had no idea what I was doing but was still happy just to make anything. It's a LONG road man. Do you have years to spare? lol jk

ok .. today is a fresh day..take it slow take it steady..ive started making a small wad...got a couple rooms some monsters a key some armor a health pack...... walls floor and rooms down pack.....themed around hell....so far i think its going ok...its not to fancy ....just doing whatever i can with my limited skill atm :) id say ill be finished it in a couple days for a test if im lucky 

Welcome to the world of Doom mapping :) I hope you enjoy your stay, and please, do not feed the penguins :).

LAGI.

3 hours ago, Hcoop111 said:

ok .. today is a fresh day..take it slow take it steady..ive started making a small wad...got a couple rooms some monsters a key some armor a health pack...... walls floor and rooms down pack.....themed around hell....so far i think its going ok...its not to fancy ....just doing whatever i can with my limited skill atm :) id say ill be finished it in a couple days for a test if im lucky 

Nice! will play it!

gzdb isnt letting me use "make floor height gradient" to make stairs for some reason ..is there a way around this to make stairs?

1 hour ago, Hcoop111 said:

gzdb isnt letting me use "make floor height gradient" to make stairs for some reason ..is there a way around this to make stairs?

All you gotta do is find out where you want the stairs to be, make  a sector for each stair, and then raise them up gradually in 3D mode with the mouse wheel. That should do the trick.

By drawing them manually and adjusting heights or using stair builder. Only thing here - don't use stair builder if your sector is unclosed, it might result crash and few hours of work might be lost. 

this is what i would of liked.....

same map different area ...im kinda running out of ideas for the wad .... was thinking start off in a area kinda like this..without the switch...kill a few monsters... teleport to hell ...kinda like in doom 3 lol...traverse hell..kill the cyberdemon... punch the eyeball switch..walk through a second tp  and tp back to earth on another area o_o only to find out that earth has been destroyed :( ... try to make a smallll town.....run around it  clear the demons... fight the spider mastermind who was the whole reason for this outbreak of demons........ wad over......... but..that may take a long time to do... soooooo....i will have to shorten that lol

mm not happy with how my wad is going anymore probably scrap it and try something else...i have a idea what to go for and kinda have a layout...that needs slight altering... but its a place to start... a satanic church with a graveyard.. maybe a crypt and tunnel with bones as walls dirt floor concrete roof etc... have it in my mind.... 

5 hours ago, Hcoop111 said:

mm not happy with how my wad is going anymore probably scrap it and try something else...i have a idea what to go for and kinda have a layout...that needs slight altering... but its a place to start... a satanic church with a graveyard.. maybe a crypt and tunnel with bones as walls dirt floor concrete roof etc... have it in my mind.... 

keep a notepad document on your pc with ideas that you have, also, I like the sounds of your map idea. Maybe take a look at MAP16 from SCYTHE for some inspiration. Don’t exactly copy it, but the design may help you out with what you can make.

It's okay to be unfocused and weird starting out, just as long as you're mapping. Even if the areas dont match up or the map ends up being disjoint, it's okay. That's how all of my first maps turned out. At this point, it's more important that you're learning how to use the editor and discovering what kind of gameplay you like to make, rather than to agonize over trying to build a masterpiece.

I used to hate scrapping projects before finishing them, but with making maps comes gaining experience, and just because you've scrapped the physical map doesnt mean youve lost the experience gained when making it. I usually find that after scrapping a project, 100% of the time my next wad is loads more successful. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a scrapped project is not a waste.

@Hcoop111 I am glad you created this thread. It gives me a push to start studying doom tutorials and create a wad too. I have some ideas, but I need to learn the basics first. Going to start up sometime this weekend.

Give it a shot its worth trying ...im not very creative or good at building things but its fun to dabble with some people here can pump a map in 30m-1hr...but us mere mortals take days maybe weeks to produce something ..some people here have been doing maps for many years..so dont feel to bad if you cant produce commercial quality..some are just bery good at what they do...its fun either way i advise putting music on while you build...it helps with the silence o_o

Yeah it's a slow grind for sure, it's amazing what the doom community has produced from a game released in 93. Many talented modders, gamers, and mappers! Yeah I am not very creative myself, but hopefully that changes the more I learn.

I think youre underestimating the time it takes for good mappers to make a map. To make a full fledged non speedmap it probably can take the proffesionals weeks to months to churn out something of high quality. famous WADs have spent multiple years in development. Making a good map takes time, so dont feel bad if it takes some days or weeks to make a map.

i honestly dont think ill get to the high quality lvl of map making..but i will mess around and make shitty.wads lol

You dont have to worry. Shitty wads will become bad wads. bad wads will become average wads. average wads will become good wads, and you'll be on your way. As long as you are receptive to criticism.

Yeah I see your point, definitely understand the time it takes to produce professional grade maps months, and sometimes years. Takes alot of dedication, and hard work. If it seemed like I was slighting mappers that was not my intention. It's just amazing there are still so many awesome maps, and megawads showing up years later.

31 minutes ago, Hcoop111 said:

i honestly dont think ill get to the high quality lvl of map making..but i will mess around and make shitty.wads lol

You will never know... create wad, get feedback, improve and repeat again until you will find your style. With patience, dedication and time you will reach a lot. And of course, have fun.