Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
l00k

Has anyone EVER noticed this?

Hello , im new here. im just wondering if anyone has noticed something strange in DOOM 1. Go load up doom 1 and play shores of hell. Complete level 1 and look at the tally screen background. Look at the right bottom corner.
There, you can see a small building. Now if you progress further into shores of hell, you will notice that the tally screen changes a bit, the small building now becomes a taller building. And sure enough, if you progress even further into e2m5 and so on, the building becomes a tower, its as if it was being built.
After completeing the 2nd last level in the shores of hell , the building is finished, and you the arrow "YOU ARE HERE" points to it, the level name is Tower of Babel.

Pretty cool huh?

Which makes me wonder, wtf is the Tower of Babel. The level names in doom 1 have been taken from various books/sources (ex : Mt Erebus, a supposve mountain in hell)

So what do you guys make of it? is the tower of babel some portal form from deimos to hell? Did the cyber demon build it?

OTHER TALLY SCREEN BACKGROUND ODDITIES
In ep2, when entering the secret level fortress of mystery, it appears that the arrow initially points to a blank spot on the map, but milisecounds later, a large dome "uncloaks" and appears. Is the fortress of mystery some invislbe complex?

BTW i am using doom95, not sure if this will be in different versions.

In the Old Testament, after the great flood, the world was repopulated by the offspring of a single family, speaking only one language. The existing diversity of tongues is accounted for (Gen. 11:1-9) by the story which relates how Noah's descendants, in the course of their wanderings, settled in the plain of Shinar, or Babylonia; and there, in addition to building a city, thought to construct a tower high enough to reach heaven, as a monument to their fame, and as a center of social cohesion and union. Upon learning of their ambitions (cf. Gen. 1:26; 3:22), the LORD (Yahweh) frustrated their plans by confounding their speech, making further concerted action on their part impossible. As a result, the name of the city was called Babel, and its builders were scattered over the face of the earth.

Dude, thats very interesting, geeze, where do you learn these things?

EDIT: Well, I took a peek, and well yeah that stuff does happen, I noticed them before but I thought i was just seeing things, so I just let it go, but now I know for sure that I am not seeing things, on that screen anyways. YA HEAR THAT?? IM NOT THAT INSANE!!!!! ;P

Dude, I'm confident most of the people here have known that since at least 1998.

I think that I started paying attention to those two details (the fact that the fortress is hidden and that the tower is built as you progress) last year.

Fortress of Mystery is a recycled idea from Keen 4.

Tower of babel are being built as you make your way through the Deimos complexes. I always imagined that the cyberdemon in the Tower of Babel was a prototype who was only just completed with the sacrifice of four barons when you arrive to the tower.

Mt. Erebus is a slight misnomer. "Erebos" is greek and can be translated to "the eternal darkness" or "the unpenetrable darkness". Given that Mt. Erebus is probably the brightest level in the whole episode (if not the whole game) this is kinda stupid.

Heh, I just posted about Mt. Erebus at rome.ro. I believe it's "Mt. Erebus" because of the volcano in Antarctica. And why would they name it after the volcano and not the land of darkness in Hades? Just because it fits the map better, but also possibly because one or more of the designers read Lovecraft's At the mountains of madness, a story which takes place in the area where that volcano is. That story is also basically DOOM's story, going through Alien/Aliens... it's really one of the "fathers" of modern horror, being one of Lovecraft's best. Just my interpretation, of course.

dsm said:

Dude, I'm confident most of the people here have known that since at least 1998.

I must be part of the non-most crowd then.

Linguica:
the LORD (Yahweh) frustrated their plans by confounding their speech, making further concerted action on their part impossible.

What a BASTARD!!!

BTW
welcome l00k...
Cool 0`s you`ve got there; but I have more :-)

DOOM Anomaly said:

[...] Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnn :P

What's that, D_INTROA.MUS?

Linguica said:

In the Old Testament, after the great flood, the world was repopulated by the offspring of a single family, speaking only one language. The existing diversity of tongues is accounted for (Gen. 11:1-9) by the story which relates how Noah's descendants, in the course of their wanderings, settled in the plain of Shinar, or Babylonia; and there, in addition to building a city, thought to construct a tower high enough to reach heaven, as a monument to their fame, and as a center of social cohesion and union. Upon learning of their ambitions (cf. Gen. 1:26; 3:22), the LORD (Yahweh) frustrated their plans by confounding their speech, making further concerted action on their part impossible. As a result, the name of the city was called Babel, and its builders were scattered over the face of the earth.

Very detailed description, impressive, i guess like babble?

I knew about this one along time ago, back when i was still playing Doom in dos. I'm not suprised barely anyone knew about the tower of babel, seeing that it is a biblical story...a good one at that.

Linguica said:

Heh, we just spoke about this myth in class Wednesday.

I still don't understand what that Tower has with Doom to do and why it'd have something with Hell to do.

it is something people would recognise, that was why the name was choosen. however that story is most likly from a very old cizilization that settled there after their homeland was destroyed by geological activity(similar to what happens in the netherlands, the ground sinks till it is below sea level and floods)
most stories in the bible are a collection of myths and legends from other civilizations. almost every civilization in europe, middle east, upper africa and asia has a story in the bible at some point. it is a massive story written by many and passed down for thousands of years. it has changed hands too.

I think I got doom in 94 or 95, and I noticed that on my first trip through shores of hell. I thought it was pretty cool.

Consider: the myth said that they were building the tower to invade Heaven. If you're gonna run with the concept of the Doom monsters being from Hell...

/me listens to Led Zepplin - Stairway to Heaven

No, I'd never noticed it. But then I'm an unobservant bastard, at least for things that aren't part of the gameplay. :)

Well it seems that id didnt put much thought into the naming convention and just took some random name that sounded "cool" to them (it still cool though!)

My Opinion : At the end of ep 2, deimos some how manages to float on top of hell, so it must have teleported. I remember reading the story line saying that "deimos vanished" which meant that it probably went to hell or is moving away from mars. The tower of babel is probably some sort of structure that allowed deimos to teleport.

Hey.... Please stop referring to the 'Tower of Babble' as just a myth. If you don't believe it that's fine, but at least call it what it is.
(An old testament story) or something likes that. thanx.
I always thought there was something fishy about that screen. Just always got distracted by me kills counts to take much notice. J But anyways good thread topic.

IMJack said:

Consider: the myth said that they were building the tower to invade Heaven. If you're gonna run with the concept of the Doom monsters being from Hell...

Interesting concept. Sounds reasonable.

Y2theJ said:

Hey.... Please stop referring to the 'Tower of Babble' as just a myth. If you don't believe it that's fine, but at least call it what

It IS just a myth. Languages developed over years upon years - I don't for a second believe that people suddenly spoke a myriad of different languages where they had spoken the same.

It IS just a myth. Languages developed over years upon years - I don't for a second believe that people suddenly spoke a myriad of different languages where they had spoken the same.

Sorry my mistake, I didn't realise that because YOU don't believe something that it becomes a myth.

Y2theJ said:
Hey.... Please stop referring to the 'Tower of Babble' as just a myth. If you don't believe it that's fine, but at least call it what it is.
(An old testament story) or something likes that. thanx.

Airplanes!