Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonpiedumplings

Need Help Setting Up a LAN Multiplayer Game

I finally managed to compile the source code following the guide. Thanks @Edward850!

EDIT: Actually, the version I downloaded still uses UDP. :(

I will look into Doomsday. 

EDIT2: Actually, it might not. 

EDIT3: The vanilla chocolate doom has support for TCP netplay. However, it still gives me an unable to bind port error? Does anyone know what this could mean?

Edited by moonpiedumplings

Remember your security rules are still in effect, like with minecraft, you need to use a high allocated port above 64000. The "-port" command should cover this.

Edited by Edward850

Oh that makes sense. Port limitations. So then the total command would be:

chocolate-doom.exe -dbanswer -port [>64000]

Now I need to figure out how to install the smooth doom graphics mod, or make the graphics better in general. 

Edited by moonpiedumplings

@Edward850

I still get that error on my home computer, even when chocolate doom is allowed past the firewall. Also, I don't know the command for joining a game. 

The normal way of setting up a server on my home network works fine though. After attempting to set up a server with -dbanswer, it gives me that error, but the port stays open and listening in netstat for some reason. Chocolate doom creates "zombie processes" (I think?) and those keep the port open. When I kill those, the ports close. When I run it from the command prompt, it doesn't open at all, but also doesn't give me any error codes. However, the port opens, and stays open, despite the fact that no instance of chocolate doom shows up in task manager. 

I have no idea what is going on here. Is this a bug? Or is it working, and those "zombie processes" are actually chocolate Doom servers. Since I do not know the command for joining, I cannot test this thoroughly enough. 

@Edward850

No replies from even the devs after I made an issue on the github page. 

I don't really know what do do at this point. 

I'm going to see if I can get a quake 1 server set up at school (It uses the IPX protocol). I can then play the Slayer's Testament mod coop with local multiplayer. I just really want a FPS than I can play through with my friends at school.