• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fncthebest

Can i run it ?

3 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Are we sure? Stadia's dying already.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Yep, time's flying with no announcements and noteworthy news.

(sigh) Then that leaves the last option I mentioned, Game.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, scalliano said:

Five-year-old rig with recently upgraded GPU pending a new build later in the year:

i7 4790k quad-core 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3 RAM

MSi RTX2070 Super

Thinking the CPU will be the bottleneck. Thoughts?

Unless the 4790k is crappier than it looks, it seems you have an awesome price-to-performance setup here.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, Novaseer said:

Are we sure? Stadia's dying already.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, seed said:

Yep, time's flying with no announcements and noteworthy news.

It's too soon to write off Stadia.  Just wait until the free version comes out and just subscribe to Stadia Pro for a few months ($10/mo) since it works the same as Playstation Plus.  Much less risky if you did that.  Even the consoles take time to have all the features implemented so why should anyone expect anything different for Stadia?  Plus if you have to stop and close the window, you can always get back in at the exact same state you were in when you had to close the window.  The PS4 Pro and Switch limits that to one game at a time and even if the rumor is about five games for the next gen consoles, Stadia wouldn't have a limit in that case.

And it took Playstation Now about five years before it became a must have item at $10/mo.

Just give Stadia a chance with a Stadia Pro sub before you buy the full games and that is what I am telling everyone even if I haven't used Stadia yet but will do as soon as Stadia Base (free version) is available.

9 hours ago, Jalapen0 said:

It's too soon to write off Stadia.  Just wait until the free version comes out and just subscribe to Stadia Pro for a few months ($10/mo) since it works the same as Playstation Plus.  Much less risky if you did that.  Even the consoles take time to have all the features implemented so why should anyone expect anything different for Stadia?  Plus if you have to stop and close the window, you can always get back in at the exact same state you were in when you had to close the window.  The PS4 Pro and Switch limits that to one game at a time and even if the rumor is about five games for the next gen consoles, Stadia wouldn't have a limit in that case.

And it took Playstation Now about five years before it became a must have item at $10/mo.

Just give Stadia a chance with a Stadia Pro sub before you buy the full games and that is what I am telling everyone even if I haven't used Stadia yet but will do as soon as Stadia Base (free version) is available.

I am not writing it off, but I won't pretend they didn't miss the launch, and they are now lagging behind similar services. If they don't do something quickly, Stadia will get buried by its competitors very soon. Time's passing and nothing interesting is happening on the Stadia front.

@flouter I'm noticing you're running W7. You might want to consider upgrading to 8.1, 10, or switch to another OS since support for W7 ended back in January and I highly doubt a triple-A game is going to still support it.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:49 PM, Foebane72 said:

There is one more option: I went to my local Game store and it turns out they have a bunch of high-spec PCs in the back that host LAN parties, etc, and they said there was a possibility of playing Doom Eternal there, for a small amount per hour (like the Internet Cafes of old), and I wouldn't mind that, it would be a great way of trying the game. Availability would be an issue, especially soon after the release date, but I'm sure it would settle down after a while. I think that's my best (and cheapest) option, but I'll have to pay them another visit in the next few weeks to confirm all of this.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.belong.gg/

On 2/22/2020 at 11:49 AM, Foebane72 said:

there's always Google Stadia

Yeah I sure can't wait for it to actually work, until they kill the whole thing like they have hundreds of other Google projects. How's your Google TV service doing?

2 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Yeah I sure can't wait for it to actually work, until they kill the whole thing like they have hundreds of other Google projects. How's your Google TV service doing?

Fine, thanks. And they will NEVER Google Play down, because UltraViolet has been shut down and they've moved all the movies to Google Play, as well as a couple of other services. Google is THE biggest thing on the Internet, it practically IS the Internet, so why would they close it down deliberately? Short of a nuke blast/EMP, it will never happen. Get it?

Google doesn't have to shut down Play for you to no longer enjoy the things you paid money for. Services can and do change their options with no warning or compensation. It's no good for a service to have 4K video if the licence holder decides to withdraw streaming rights for that movie that you wanted to watch. That kind of nonsense happens all the time on Netflix; as a UK customer I would have a shit selection of movies to choose from, unless I were to use a VPN good enough for streaming (which will doubtless cost money).

Imagine that all that crap happening with video games, on top of the shameless cupidity and other shitty behaviour displayed by games publishers already. Maybe you'll save money through all that faffing about with subscription services and VPNs and any other hoop-jumping bullshit that a mature games-streaming market will doubtless provide, but it ain't fuckin' worth it. Buying your own PC gaming hardware might be costly if you want the latest and greatest kit, but if money really is an issue, then you can still set your sights on less Gucci kit while retaining the ability to play your games whenever you want.

"Services can and do change their options with no warning or compensation."

The BBC offered me compensation.

"It's no good for a service to have 4K video if the licence holder decides to withdraw streaming rights for that movie that you wanted to watch."

Hasn't happened yet. If it does (unlikely) I will simply do without the movie. I'm NOT buying Blu-ray EVER again.

"That kind of nonsense happens all the time on Netflix"

Movies come free on Netflix, you're just paying to access them. I'm BUYING my movies on Google Play.

"Imagine that all that crap happening with video games, on top of the shameless cupidity and other shitty behaviour displayed by games publishers already."

If that were true, Steam would remove games all the time, but in all the years I've used it, none of the games I've had have been removed.

Stadia likely won't last long because Google and the relevant publishers and developers don't really seem dedicated enough to make it work.

Doesn't mean that game streaming is dead forever though.

How soon before release are PC specs normally revealed? Seems kinda late at this point but then again I usually don't pay much attention to these things

18 minutes ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

How soon before release are PC specs normally revealed? Seems kinda late at this point but then again I usually don't pay much attention to these things

I agree, it is a bit strange that they still have not posted the recommended specs on Steam, usually this is a good way to inform the to-be consumer on whether or not the purchase will be worthwhile, since someone with a weaker PC would be informed that their machine is not up to snuff. Even Resident Evil 3: Remake has a minimum specs section, despite not releasing until April.

Right. It's awfully close to release to not know if we can run the game on our PC or not in my opinion. Strange, but oh well :)

10 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

"Services can and do change their options with no warning or compensation."

The BBC offered me compensation.

"It's no good for a service to have 4K video if the licence holder decides to withdraw streaming rights for that movie that you wanted to watch."

Hasn't happened yet. If it does (unlikely) I will simply do without the movie. I'm NOT buying Blu-ray EVER again.

"That kind of nonsense happens all the time on Netflix"

Movies come free on Netflix, you're just paying to access them. I'm BUYING my movies on Google Play.

"Imagine that all that crap happening with video games, on top of the shameless cupidity and other shitty behaviour displayed by games publishers already."

If that were true, Steam would remove games all the time, but in all the years I've used it, none of the games I've had have been removed.

12 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Fine, thanks. And they will NEVER Google Play down, because UltraViolet has been shut down and they've moved all the movies to Google Play, as well as a couple of other services. Google is THE biggest thing on the Internet, it practically IS the Internet, so why would they close it down deliberately? Short of a nuke blast/EMP, it will never happen. Get it?

God you are out of touch. 

From what i've gathered, for Doom 2016 and RAGE 2 the specs weren't revealed until somewhere around a week before launch, so i guess it won't be different this time... I have a low end graphic card so i'm hoping the final requirements won't be too different from the last game so that i can run eternal without having to put everything on low settings hehe

If it means anything, I can run Doom 2016 pretty close to flawless on Ultra settings with the following setup:
GTX 970

i7-6700k 4.00 GHz

16 GB Ram

Worse case I will have to run Eternal at around medium settings or lower, but considering that optimization seems to be the big target for the game and engine I am not worried about it being unplayable.

12 hours ago, Stale Meat said:

If it means anything, I can run Doom 2016 pretty close to flawless on Ultra settings with the following setup:
GTX 970

i7-6700k 4.00 GHz

16 GB Ram

Worse case I will have to run Eternal at around medium settings or lower, but considering that optimization seems to be the big target for the game and engine I am not worried about it being unplayable.

I had the same GPU, and i7-4790K with 32GB Ram, also running totally flawlessly on very high quality. I'm not sure I tried the maximum settings bcs it looked good enough with what were on when I started playing it. I have a feeling that DE will be pretty much the same, especially on 1920x1080.

After upgrading the GPU to GTX 1660 Ti, there was a considerable jump higher in difference on how it looked. And it was even more noticeable in Rage 2.

10 hours ago, Budoka said:

Find out here:

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

As it turns out, I should be able to run it on my laptop, but not with optimal settings.

I don't think that that has information on Doom Eternal. Usually, that site pulls the recommended settings from steam  and other sources. The only source I've been able to track down for Doom Eternal are all speculative. So what is expected to be the minimum or recommended settings, rather than what would be officially confirmed.

Yeah that's what they have up there right now for sure. Nothing out there is definite atm since they haven't officially announced them. But I do have a feeling that if you can run 2016 well this should be good to go too. I know there's more to it than "it looks similar to the last game so I'm fine for this one", but the last game was optimized pretty great and ran on a large number of different setups and I think this will be this same. Hopefully

Imagine streaming Doom. You wanna load a PWAD? Haha, sucker, you can't, the game isn't run on your computer.

Streaming is dead in the water. Too many greedy corporations wanting their own piece of the pie. It's cable TV all over again, just like the current video streaming wars.

2 hours ago, scalliano said:

Streaming is dead in the water.

X Cloud is doing substantially well and it's not even out of beta yet.