Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ILOVEDOOM!

Quakespasm doesnt work on my laptop(help!)

Everytime i turn on quakespasm(using quake 1) it just crashes after clicking new game

Pls help me i really want to play slayers testament.

Thx in advance

14 minutes ago, ILOVEDOOM! said:

but slayers testament only works on quakespasm ( i have a 86 bit computer so maybe thats the problem?)

You don't have an 86bit computer. You are mixing up x86 and 32bit/64bit.

OP, we have to know how you downloaded and attempted to start up Quakespasm.

First thing to do would be to figure out if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit machine. To do this, go into the search bar in your windows start menu, or  the Run option in the start menu if you are using an ancient WinDOWZ XP 4500 brick. Type in DXDiag, press enter, say no to the box that pops up, and you should look into the processor section of the next dialog box to see if its 32 bit or 64 bit.

Next you are gonna want to take a batch of files with the ending .pak in them and place into Quakespasm's folder. I am not familiar with Quakespasm so I could be wrong. Somebody feel free to correct me. As for running that mod you mentioned, I cannot help you.

Why is it that some Quake mods only work in certain ports? I'm a Darkplaces guy because it runs the best on my system and this is also why I've never played Arcane Dimensions.

23 hours ago, Jewellds said:

Like Edward said, you probably have a 32-bit machine

Nope. its 64bit

i dont know why it doesnt work though since i have the 64bit version of quakespasm

13 hours ago, ILOVEDOOM! said:

Nope. its 64bit

i dont know why it doesnt work though since i have the 64bit version of quakespasm

Still at least give 32-bit version of Quakespasm a try. I have a 64-bit system and for some reason the 64-bit version of Doom Retro source port didn't work on my computer when I last tried it but 32-bit version worked fine.

If that doesn't work either, give vkQuake a try. It is a fork of Quakespasm that runs on Vulkan API instead of OpenGL.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:21 AM, Nevander said:

Why is it that some Quake mods only work in certain ports? I'm a Darkplaces guy because it runs the best on my system and this is also why I've never played Arcane Dimensions.

The same reason some mods for Doom only run on ZDoom-based ports: Some ports add new features, others don't - if a mod uses such a feature the other port is left out.

Which isn't a problem. All these engines are free to use with the original game data, so nobody is preventing you from using them. The problem is when people say "I only use port xyz and this is why I haven't played mod abc".

5 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

All these engines are free to use with the original game data, so nobody is preventing you from using them.

I know, wasn't saying anyone was. I was just curious if it was something specific or, as you said, feature related.