Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 64 KB challenge (2 megawads completed and on Idgames!)

23 hours ago, tam said:

@NoiserCool archvile bro. 64/64 (I dig the aesthetic a lot, even if the level's a tad too hard for me.)

(Mostly because I've been playing Blood a lot and I got used to how enemies react in that game ^-^")

Thanks! I tried to make it in a way where regular monsters could chase and attack from all sides.
I had a lot of fun with this challenge. It's refreshing to build and finish a map that quick.

Edited by Noiser

Hello, I really like the idea of this limit, so I felt like making as complete/full a map as possible within 64kb. Here's what I have:

bXdakWa.png

mutt64.zip

It plays in map 27, and is 63.7kb in size unzipped. I've only played through it a couple times so it'll need more testing, but it should be fully maxable and vanilla compatible! Enjoy!

Edited by an_mutt : Updated wad!

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

EDIT: How the fuck did you put 108 monster and still be in the 64 kb limit? That's insane!

Edited by Walter confetti

I bring gifts in the form of demos for the maps so far. Download.

Maps were played in Crispy Doom with high resolution off.
-----
@DynamiteKaitorn I don't play Heretic, but this is cool. Enemies were placed mercifully for my minimum knowledge of Heretic. I recorded with Chocolate Heretic.

@Noiser I recorded three demos. Win demo is the one that doesn't have "FDA" in the file name. Creative yet tough beginning.

@Walter confetti Record two demos. I tried to uv-max at optimal speed but thought 20 tries was good enough. I haven't eaten wafers in forever.

@joe-ilya
Sweet use of action 19. Pretty fun map. I thought the soul sphere near the bridge was a torch until I watched the demo, and it was wide in the open too.

@an_mutt Awesome map. I didn't beat it but I got lucky and played skillfully. I had a visual/audio perception fail at the end. Me dying pained me to post all the demos I recorded today.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:05 AM, Walter confetti said:

DOWNLOAD

nnYIe3D.png

(MAP01, vanilla compatible)

Ah yes, another one of those challenges wad. This time, is a short level made under the file size restriction of 64 kb file size and this humble result after 2 evenings.

Now, i'll return to my mapwich duty, if i will not being moved to other map projects again. Yes, i know, the map music is the most un-doomy thing ever.

If you wish, you can join this challenge too! Just remember to make a level that have no more than 64 kylobites on file size.

Not only under 64kb, also very well designed! I like the way you made those buildings. Like they look real, not like some textures.

Enjoyed playing this short and interesting map that also had a little challenge to complete.

I'm in the process of making a map for this, it's a pretty challenging constraint! Especially for a new mapper like me lol

2 hours ago, Horus said:

I'm in the process of making a map for this, it's a pretty challenging constraint! Especially for a new mapper like me lol

My recent experience is to avoid stairs and monster teleport closets, as they create a lot of lines and sectors.

Anyways, I have a tiny update for my map, to fix some bugs and stuff:

mutt64.zip

Map 27, as always. I really feel like this could turn into some kind of community project. A megawad full of >64kb maps! It would be nice and small, and a nice challenge to try and make it as robust and complete as possible.

4 hours ago, an_mutt said:

I really feel like this could turn into some kind of community project. A megawad full of >64kb maps! It would be nice and small, and a nice challenge to try and make it as robust and complete as possible.

Well, if somebody else want this, it could become an eventuality, even a reality! There's already a quite number of maps already done for this challenge, so... what misses for turn this into a community project? Better rules?

3 hours ago, Fuzzball said:

Posting from hiding to ask if the limit included other lumps such as music?

Yes, if you want to add more stuff, add into a separate wad

I've updated my map to add difficulty settings and further visual detailing. It plays pretty much the same. Ultra-violence was made a bit harder.

map size is now 63.6kb. I included a demo to showcase the map.

Swalzi64 v1.1

Changelog:

Spoiler

♦ Added difficulty settings
-----
• Replaced secret with better secret
• Installed a scratch-post for the demons in the blood well
• Blood outside is now damaging
• Added two more cell charges and a medikit
• More visual details
  -removed "casting light" torch sectors from outdoor library. Took up 10kb!

This was a lot of fun, thanks for the idea Walter! 

Decided to go with a Tyson map, weighing in at 62kb. It has difficulty settings (and I even squeezed a secret in there). Uses a nice little MIDI by Jimmy called "Short Fuse", which is just about the perfect name for the map, as well.

Tested in Chocolate Doom, prBoom+, and GZDoom.

64challenge_RJD.zip

Ps4V3CB.png

canczgB.png

Name : Cave of Cthalha
Music : Psychedelic Eyeball - It's All Over

Restriction : Vanilla, Under 64KB filesize (63.9KB)

Estimated Playtime : Around 6 minutes

Supports difficulty settings. Tested with ChocoRenderLimits for vanilla stress test, and PrBoom+ cl2 for gameplay testing.

anta_64k.zip

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Well, if somebody else want this, it could become an eventuality, even a reality!

It's a great idea imo -- likely to be one of the better community projects in a typical year. 

That was a nice short wad. I should make one of my own.

EDIT: And here it is. I whipped this up in about three hours.

SEEXTEEFOOR.zip

Name: SEEXTEEFOOR (I couldn't be bothered to come up with a proper title.)

IWAD: DOOM2

Compatibility: I didn't use any Boom features and I didn't find any visplane overflows, so I'm pretty sure this is vanilla compatible. Use Crispy Doom or above just to be safe.

Tested with: GZDoom, GLBoom+, PRBoom+, Eternity, Crispy Doom
Custom music: A MIDI rendition of "London's Bridge Is Falling Down". The babby music in OP's wad inspired me to do this.

Size: 43.8 KB

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200130_015715.png.709f72985df464c0bfcfbde5c5a3826b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200130_015951.png.65db47cbca522fe753bcf914e572cfd8.png

Edited by E.M.

Woah, 3 new maps? This is awesome! I'll download them soon! They looks pretty cool!

Also, the idea of having a megawad out of these maps starts to coming out nicely as many of you noticed, now I'll start to put down some better rules and, if you wish, a official texture pack of sorts (simply mashing up Gothic patched up textures and Sargebaldy doom to doom 2 textures with other possible textures is part of my plan, maybe it could be changed), with new skies too! I have an idea for the episode 1 sky since day 1 of this challenge, just a blue sky I have lying around.

EDIT: Hey guys, I have an idea about this: did some of you people "good at dehacked" can make some sort of new boss monster (cl 2) for giving more variety to the gameplay and adding something new? Sorry for the weird question, just a thing come in my mind now.

Edited by Walter confetti

11 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

did some of you people "good at dehacked" can make some sort of new boss monster (cl 2) for giving more variety to the gameplay and adding something new? Sorry for the weird question, just a thing come in my mind now. 

Perhaps. I might already have an idea for it! I haven't tested it yet, but I thought of a way of implementing a monster that would temporarily start chasing you faster upon being hurt. I'd probably make it some kind of cacodemon-style monster so that it would only need one walking frame.

Edited by Scypek2

Love the idea and loved the maps submitted in the thread so far, small yet action-packed. If there are plans for a community project effort, I would most certainly try to make a small map myself.

My map is complete. Named after everyone's favourite N64 game ;-P

Map name: DoomFighter 63 1/3

Filesize: 63.3 KB

Map slot: MAP21 of Doom II (uses the same music as this mapslot)

Map format: Doom format

Source ports tested: GZDoom, prBoom+, Crispy, Chocolate (no freelook, no jump, no crouch)

Difficulties: Implemented

Starts off Tyson, but later on other weapons are introduced

Screenshot_Doom_20200130_195435.png

doomfighter63andathird.zip

Edited by Horus