Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 64 KB challenge (2 megawads completed and on Idgames!)

Jeez it's looking like my map sucks ass compared to everyone elses lol. In my defense, I made it before I knew it was going to be a community project.

wow guys, that's... a really lot of maps! I'm impressed! If some of the maps don't make the cut for the final vanilla mapset, i'll put them in the second megawad in the works, even if it's a vanilla map. My house, my rules. Or something like that. Who said this words of windsom? Maybe Vin Diesel... I don't f+++ing know.

4 hours ago, amok said:

@Walter confetti No secret exit but I can add one if needed? Although I feel like someone else could do a secret map better since I didn't make this map with the 31 slot in mind, we can just leave this map as a reserve MAP31 if no one gets around to making one. I'll call it "Jawbreaker". I've updated the download with a few HOM fixes too.

No worries, it could be a MAP32 candidate, it could be good for almost anything, i guess. I've got already a MAP31 candidation by our guest mapper Joe-Illya via discord.

6 hours ago, P41R47 said:

About the text screens... i don't know why, but when i heard 64 kilo bytes, my mind comes back to back to the future: part1's 1.21 giga watts! scene with Christopher Lloyd falling back in despair!

Ah ah ahah ah ah! This is terrific! maybe change Lloyd head with doomguy head...

4 hours ago, finnks13 said:

I haven't checked if it works in vanilla, but I think it should work fine. If anyone has any feedback, I'll gladly update the map!

No worries, your map can always be moved to the limit-removing megawad if doesn't work perfectly on vanilla...

Updating the map list in OP with all the maps done... Thanks to everyone!

27 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Ah ah ahah ah ah! This is terrific! maybe change Lloyd head with doomguy head...

As you wish my friend! ;)

Spoiler

LLoyd64kbDoomOUCH.png.4f042e5cd9a8510e144581816c6c5bdf.png

Or this one hahaha

Spoiler

LLoyd64kbDoomWorrySideHAHAHAHA.png.bffbe5dc7edfb98a991cb93036c76c14.png

Edited by P41R47

The second is even better lol.

Anyway, i found a bug in @NeedHealth MAP20, there's a boom line effects trough (219 and 221) the map, just change them to their vanilla counterparts and everything will work out...

Edited by Walter confetti

2 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

Jeez it's looking like my map sucks ass compared to everyone elses lol. In my defense, I made it before I knew it was going to be a community project.

Relateable content.

Definitely going for limit-removing since my map is really pushing it. Still has a couple of small things to do but its almost done. I just need an evening or two extra. Is there a deadline by the way? I don't wanna be the person to hold anything back.

7 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

The second is even better lol.

Anyway, i found a bug in @NeedHealth MAP20, there's a boom line effects trough (219 and 221) the map, just change them to their vanilla counterparts and everything will work out... 

I was trying to change these... when I realized I dont´t even know what the vanilla equivalents are...

e - is it 38 and 23?

e2  - well it seems to work. I even took the time to fix some visual disturbances.

Edited by NeedHealth

6 hours ago, Uni said:

Definitely going for limit-removing since my map is really pushing it. Still has a couple of small things to do but its almost done. I just need an evening or two extra. Is there a deadline by the way? I don't wanna be the person to hold anything back.

No, there's no deadline so far...

Ok, I've tell you if this works good...

Also I want to wrote about the maps I've played yesterday:

@xxWeNxx second map: pretty cool map, but have a dangerous lacks of ammo, maybe put more ammo? Or it is me that I like to waste ammo? Also, is this a remake of your first map or is something new?

@finnks13your map works perfectly with chocorenderlimits, just a pair of minor HOM spotted, but nothing too serious. Cool map too, reminds me of Spirit World for some reasons. Maybe is too punishing at the end in the Rocky lava maze imo

@Philnemba

Really though map, especially at the end, there's a huge sector bleed at the switch before the exit room

@Swalzi water world (first version): great map, the biscuit boat it was fun but looks weird... In the final version of your map I think to have read that you changed the textures for the boat, you did good!

Overall, maps are all looking pretty good, just have to see where I can Phil map and to test for good NeedHealth's map... But I think that looks like we have finished the vanilla Megawad! Probably there's a spot open or two, but I have to check out all the possibilities...

@Arbys550 don't you mind if I put your map as MAP32? I think it have a unusual theme... It will fit good the secret map spot, I think. Also, it brings back the old meme tradition of having a hardest MAP32 lol

55 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

@Philnemba

Really though map, especially at the end, there's a huge sector bleed at the switch before the exit room

@Walter confetti Here's a quick fix version where I got rid of the sector bleed by moving the switch further up in the outdoor area.

Phil64KBFIX.zip

I did it! I added two new enemies and one non-enemy. The only problem right now is the sounds, they're not in vanilla format and I couldn't get them to convert properly. Maybe someone can get it to work.

So this is what I made:

• Hades Elemental - fast, tough and spits three fireballs at once, with the center one dealing double damage. Briefly gets even faster upon being attacked. Replaces Commander Keen (and opens doors tagged 666), radius 31, height 56.
  • Rocket Guy - partially invisible, shoots homing rockets when hurt and explosive rockets otherwise. Replaces the SS guy and has the same size.
  • Laser Beam - also partially invisible, periodically zaps anyone who comes near. Replaces the Dead Lost Soul.

Alongside it, I also made a map featuring all three. I think it would make a fine submission of its own, as MAP11 perhaps. It certainly gives off some boss level vibes!

64boss.zip

Edited by Scypek2 : I forgot to say what the laser beam is replacing!

Hope I'm not late on this, been working on this slowly these past several hours. Might have it ready by tomorrow.

It's an ep 3/inferno themed vanilla level I'm going for.

DOOM0001.png

Looks impressive! And also, thanks for the new monsters ScypeK! I'll add them to the OP list also to use them... I'll add it at the MAP11 on limit-removing port... If the map works on vanilla, it could become a boss map there...

@DukeOfDoom for what format are you interested in mapping? Vanilla or Limit-removing? Vanilla have just 2 - 3 slots open (1 for episode 1, 2 for episode 2, but I have to check if NeedHealth's map fully works on vanilla), but limit-removing have way more slots open...

Posting in here because:

• This is a effin cool mappers idea.
  • Working with limitations = Win
  • Needs more coverage, and ill be writing it

Awesome stuff folks! I thought we had seen the last of limitation-style megawad mapper projects, but this well seems to never run out of ideas. Can't wait to see the final outcome of this. The novelty of the idea is worth a mention at some award show, later this year...

29 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

just 2 - 3 slots open (1 for episode 1, 2 for episode 2

The front page is only showing 6 maps on e3. There isn't more?

nevermind, I'm just dumb lol

Edited by Noiser

18 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

for what format are you interested in mapping? Vanilla or Limit-removing? Vanilla have just 2 - 3 slots open (1 for episode 1, 2 for episode 2, but I have to check if NeedHealth's map fully works on vanilla), but limit-removing have way more slots open...

Gotta go for limit-removing then.

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Ok then... For what episode? Or doesn't matter?

Just started making it. Guess it's gotta go for the first episode.

EDIT: 70% of the map done; gotta finish it tomorrow.

Edited by DukeOfDoom

Good! Also got a updated version of joe-ilya maps via PM, i'll update them in the OP list and i'm also working on a MAP20 for vanilla megawad,starting area pics:

TS0oPxN.png

u1pQoqB.png

Oh crap, looks like since I didn't specify a E1 map slot and didn't post quick enough I assume the map slots are full now. 

@Walter confetti should I finish my vanilla map and post it anyways?

Yeah, sure! It will be the closing map for the vanilla Megawad! There's also the second megawad on the run, is limit-removing but pure vanilla maps are acceptable too...

I'm also waiting for danz (or vertigo, depends on who finish first) E3 map and Joe's MAP31 for closing the vanilla section... There's no need to rush...

I forgot to say that my dehacked laser beam replaces the dead lost soul! You can put that in the post with the rest of the info.

Also, I'm pretty sure my dehacked additions work just fine in vanilla too, actually! They just need those sounds fixed or replaced, cause they didn't even play properly in prboom when I tried it.

Alright, I've finished my map too. Hopefully I managed to balance it properly as well.

Tested on chocolate and crispy doom. Has skill settings, but mostly was tested on UV and HMP. Contains around 60-70 monsters. Expect no revenants in this map.

Name: Ichthyosis

Map slot in the wad: MAP21 (due to different sky usage)

Theme: Episode 3 / Hell / Skintek

Size: 63.2 kb

Music: XtraBobby.wad - D_E2M5 "Behind You"

Requires 64ktexpack.wad. Also contains custom music in the separate wad.

Download: 64kb-danz.zip
Screenshot:

Spoiler

screenshot.jpg?width=1200&height=450

Edited by Danz

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I'll put your map to the list, thanks!

Sorry for bumping, but I did some minor texture fixing just in case you need to know. Few areas had some nasty texture misalignments which I didn't want to leave by.

I've updated the link in my previous post.

Edited by Danz

Finally finished the map.

Name: Security Outpost;

Map number: don't know yet.

Includes textures from your pack.

Custom Music: none yet.

Port: Limit-Removing.

Size: 61 kb (the wad file).

This is my first version, feel free to criticize it.

sec_out.zip