Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 64 KB challenge (2 megawads completed and on Idgames!)

I don't know what to tell you, I re-downloaded it and tested it in clean GZdoom 4.4.2 install, but the bug is still there. I also tried older 4.1.1, but it's still there. The only possible explanation that I can fathom is that Gzdoom's automatic node rebuilder somehow messes it up.

Finally, finished the new version of the megwads of this project and if this will not have any problem in it could be easily one candidate for the final release on idgames!

Both megawads are in the OP post, download them!

CHANGES IN 32OF64-V:

• Added the credit screen
  • Modified the exit in MAP11
  • Modified title lumps from DKC2 text to Doom style
  • Added eventual new version of maps

CHANGES in 32OF64-LR

• Added new version of the maps
  • Fixed a sky bug sector in MAP02
  • Fixed the CREDIT screen

TO-DO:

• Write better text file for both wads
  • Compile a better AUTHORS folder/zip for both wads that contains the texts from the various authors

Thanks for the eventual feedback, have fun! And sorry for taking it so long to finish compiling!

13 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Heretic version next?????

I have a positive attitude to Heretic projects, but it will need fresh ideas that have not been used before (not just another mapset). Given that this game has a smaller audience.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, riderr3 said:

I have a positive attitude to Heretic projects, but it will need fresh ideas that have not been used before (not just another mapset). Given that this game has a smaller audience.

You know, I was thinking in these days about some unusual or not extremely used ideas for a community project that will gain some interest in it...

I'll do it when I return to holiday at the first days of September. Created the two text files for both megawads, miss the author text file

Well, I think that it is possible to make the Ultimate Doom version, but, as @riderr3 said above, it might need something new to avoid recycling the same idea over and over again.

I have a couple of maps I made this summer for the first episode, the second being halfway done. Both weight about 64 kb and have no custom textures or enemies. In case someone wants to start a project (including myself probably), I will finish these maps and provide a link for them.

44 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Well, I think that it is possible to make the Ultimate Doom version, but, as @riderr3 said above, it might need something new to avoid recycling the same idea over and over again.

You mean something completely different from the 64 kb limit, right? Or keep the file size limit plus another theme or concept?

I have probably something ready to go for the next type of challenge, but I have to see what type of project will gain more people interested into it...

52 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

I have a couple of maps I made this summer for the first episode, the second being halfway done. Both weight about 64 kb and have no custom textures or enemies. In case someone wants to start a project (including myself probably), I will finish these maps and provide a link for them.

For Doom 2 or Doom?

9 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

You mean something completely different from the 64 kb limit, right? Or keep the file size limit plus another theme or concept?

I have probably something ready to go for the next type of challenge, but I have to see what type of project will gain more people interested into it...

For Doom 2 or Doom?

Probably keeping the file size. Or, probably, expand or trim it - 128/96/48/32 kb challenge.

My maps are for Doom 1.

I wonder how a 32 kb level (or other type of thing using a wad format) will look...

Spoiler

Actually, I have in mind to do a 32 kb challenge sooner or later, but I have also in mind other type of projects

Yeah, I think that 128 kb will be easier than 64 kb too, but what if I add another restrictions to it? Like 128 kb but don't use any new stuff over the stock one in the main IWAD? Probably use new skies or music, but taken from Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom or the unused midis pack... Or something else like using a strict pack of textures, weapons and monsters that adhere a certain theme... Something similar to the Doomer Boards Project in style.

Edited by Walter confetti

ahh i havnt seen this page for a long time its come a ways..been busy such is life... i shall play these tmo as soon as i can :p

Final version added and soon i'll put them to idgames, if nothing is wrong here!

Added readme files, make a better authors file for both megawads and fixed a little typo in the CREDIT screen.

Link is the same in OP

On 8/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, Walter confetti said:

Yeah, I think that 128 kb will be easier than 64 kb too, but what if I add another restrictions to it? Like 128 kb but don't use any new stuff over the stock one in the main IWAD? Probably use new skies or music, but taken from Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom or the unused midis pack... Or something else like using a strict pack of textures, weapons and monsters that adhere a certain theme... Something similar to the Doomer Boards Project in style.

I'd go the other way, let the mapper include whatever they want (new map, music, textures, etc.), but they aren't allowed to submit a WAD file larger than 128kb. It would be cool to see who pushes things with either a larger map using stock resources, or a smaller map but with more of a custom theme. 

FYI the limit removing download doesnt have the idgames text file, just the authors text file

2 hours ago, Horus said:

FYI the limit removing download doesnt have the idgames text file, just the authors text file

Ok, I'll add it next time.

2 hours ago, an_mutt said:

I'd go the other way, let the mapper include whatever they want (new map, music, textures, etc.), but they aren't allowed to submit a WAD file larger than 128kb. It would be cool to see who pushes things with either a larger map using stock resources, or a smaller map but with more of a custom theme. 

Yeah, that's more interesting to do I guess, now you make battling between two extremes: at one side my already planned idea for a 32 kb challenge that I thought is more challenging than 128 kb, but the other way looks that can be done more easily and adding more stuff, maybe I can add both of the ideas, I have just to see if the next thing will be a freeform project like this one or it will have some type of stricter theme, over to make a 128 kb wad.

In MAP17 of 32OF64-V, I'm having a huge slimetrail effect in front of the skull switch opening the final chamber with tons of enemies (with the exit platform in its center). I am using GZDoom 4.4.2, software renderer.

In general, the whole thing is ingenious, though. Never thought such creative and entertaining maps are possible with the limits imposed by the project guidelines. With software renderer and OPL synth as MIDI device, this feels like a blast from the past. Well done, everybody!

Thanks! And really, again? I thought that bug in MAP17 was fixed! I'll have to check it out

EDIT: Ok, fixed out some missing sections in the text files and fixed the sector bug in MAP17.

Link is in OP. I'll upload this on idgames now

Outstanding! And bugfix for MAP17 is confirmed.

I wasn't finished playing the vanilla megawad, however. In MAP24, I am not sure if the teleporter leading back outside after opening the exit chamber is actually working. After lowering the final pit and hitting the skull switch, the teleporter niche opens, but if you step inside, nothing happens.

Edited by NightFright

Take a play now with gzdoom 4.3.3 (software mode) and it worked perfectly for me:

Spoiler

the megawads are finally released on idgames, horray!

Links in OP.

Also in these days i've completed a map for the next challenge / community thing / whatever...

Congrats on the release, perfect timing too! Thanks for having me part of this, looking forward to play this. :)

Congrats on the release! This project was a lot of fun to map for, and to play through as well.

Hi, the Doom speedrun Discord has been working on a demo pack for these two wads the past two months, and it has just been released! Please check the demo pack thread if you'd like to check out any of the lmps. :)