Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 64 KB challenge (2 megawads completed and on Idgames!)

I'm playing through the vanilla-compatible one and mostly it's pretty fun, it's a lot of compact, fast maps and that's the type of map I like, but man, MAP15 is not very good. Getting out of the first room is extremely unintuitive and the rest of the level is mostly a slog.

12 hours ago, Scorpius said:

Sorry it took so long, but I have finally edited Rolling Thunder with a few modifications. Most of them improve gameplay and the layouts. I wasn't sure how to edit the MM MAP24 room, but I think this is enough to avoid similarities. Let me know if you want more modified.

rolling.zip

Thanks for the fixed map. Also, I'll remove xvertigox name from the rooster because he's not interested anymore in this thing.

7 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Thanks for the fixed map. Also, I'll remove xvertigox name from the rooster because he's not interested anymore in this thing.

Then it looks like the limit-removing project is only missing one map from each of the episodes. With the maps from NoisyVelvet and DietingHippo, that just leaves the project needing to find 1 map to finish the project.

What is stopping "Well of the Traitor" and "Blood River Base" from being categorized?

6 hours ago, Pegleg said:

What is stopping "Well of the Traitor" and "Blood River Base" from being categorized?

"Blood River Base" not being played yet, "Well of the traitor" will go on episode 3, i think the orange sky will fit it...

EDIT: both the wads are now played and put in their episodes, see OP post.

Also, i have a new beta (1.3) for vanilla megawad, missing a CREDIT screen, but i think it's all done here, i've think.

Changes from 1.2:

• Swapped MAP22 and MAP23
  • Added new music where needed (MAP22 and MAP2
  • Added all the fixed maps so far
  • I've took the liberty to make minor fixes on some maps (MAP07, MAP09, MAP18 and MAP26) at skepticist PM feedback on the megawad
  • Fixed some stuff in my maps

Now, i'm waiting for the last map for limit-removing ports, if somebody wants to join, be my guest!

Edited by Walter confetti

8 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Now, i'm waiting for the last map for limit-removing ports, if somebody wants to join, be my guest!

I could create one but I want to know what map number is it?

It's a map for the second episode, the one with the dark sky. So from MAP12 to MAP19, expect MAP14 and 15

And here's the other one: vengeance.zip (modified map with improvements). Let me know if you need anything else. :)

7 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

It's a map for the second episode, the one with the dark sky. So from MAP12 to MAP19, expect MAP14 and 15

I can make some and post them here :D

Thanks! Adding this to the list, tommorow or in these days i'll start compiling the limit-removing megawad too...

Anyway, what do you think about a Bonus Round of Heretic maps (at least 1 episode)? Is it a good idea?

I was trying to download your MAP33 @D1m3 but the link doesn't work!

Also, looks like there's still a place for a map!

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Thanks! Adding this to the list, tommorow or in these days i'll start compiling the limit-removing megawad too...

Anyway, what do you think about a Bonus Round of Heretic maps (at least 1 episode)? Is it a good idea?

I think not, but it is an opinion >.<

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Also, looks like there's still a place for a map!

Maps 01-33 are filled for both WADs, no? (when D1M3 posts a download link). Or are you referring to Map slots 34 & 35?

7 hours ago, Horus said:

Maps 01-33 are filled for both WADs, no? (when D1M3 posts a download link). Or are you referring to Map slots 34 & 35?

Thinking about it, the only map missing is D1m3 map for 33 maps (including Tam map "deers")! But if the author still want to use it as a bonus map, there's still a map in the official list for episode 1...

5 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Thinking about it, the only map missing is D1m3 map for 33 maps (including Tam map "deers")! But if the author still want to use it as a bonus map, there's still a map in the official list for episode 1...

Even excluding Deers, I count 33 maps in total including all 11 maps for episode 1...unless one of the maps is rejected for some reason? I'm going by the OP

Edited by Horus

Also, some anticipation on what's going on here: the limit-removing megawad of the challenge is almost completed to be compiled, missing only title lumps, demos and a credit screen... Sooner or later i will release a first beta draft!

Also, I want to ask you if the vanilla and limit-removing megawad should be released on idgames (when it's over) together in one zip or divided in 2 parts?

And since I'm not pretty sure about how many people want to do a Heretic bonus episode including DynamiteKairton map, I'll doing it by myself when I have time, if somebody is interested, PM me. Rules are the same in OP, but there's no resource pack so far.

Personally I think they should both be in one zip, they are both very closely related, and I mean it's not like the filesize will be an issue to anyone :P

Edited by Horus

4 hours ago, Horus said:

Personally I think they should both be in one zip, they are both very closely related, and I mean it's not like the filesize will be an issue to anyone :P

The only problem with that is a very small one.

One mapset is entirely vanilla, thus it does not require an advanced port of any kind.

The other mapset is limit-removing, thus it will require a limit-removing sourceport to play.

It is a minor point, and one that may be more semantics, but they do have slightly different minimum requirements. So, I would upload them separately. I don't know if you'd upload as "64 kB Challenge: Vanilla Edition" and "64 kB Challenge: Limit-Removing Edition," but there is precedent--Mayhem 2018 had a Purple version and an Orange version that were distributed separately. Yes, they had different resource packs, but they were still Mayhem 2018 mapsets.

19 hours ago, Pegleg said:

It is a minor point, and one that may be more semantics, but they do have slightly different minimum requirements. So, I would upload them separately

I agree with that. I think it would be less confusing that way.

I'd have different downloads for the limit-removing one from the vanilla one

Are you guys building special tools to make the maps smaller or is it just about mapping? There's a lot that can be done tool wise to make maps smaller.

Finally, i can say that I can give you the compiled beta of limit-removing maps!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rs7fdj2f71govlu/32OF64-LR.zip/file

OP post will be modified as well, tell me if there's something to change out. Still missing a decent CREDIT screen.

Modified a little some maps (MAP01, MAP02 and MAP08) due to little bugs found while playing this on prboom-plus.

On 5/6/2020 at 3:57 AM, zokum said:

Are you guys building special tools to make the maps smaller or is it just about mapping? There's a lot that can be done tool wise to make maps smaller.

Interesting... some idea about a wad compactor tool it could be cool to see

Awesome! I'll be playing through this to see if I can find any bugs. If anyone wants feedback on their particular maps react to this post with an invulnerability sphere and I'll do a write-up on your map.