Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 64 KB challenge (2 megawads completed and on Idgames!)

Recommended Posts

I don't know what to tell you, I re-downloaded it and tested it in clean GZdoom 4.4.2 install, but the bug is still there. I also tried older 4.1.1, but it's still there. The only possible explanation that I can fathom is that Gzdoom's automatic node rebuilder somehow messes it up.

Share this post


Link to post

Finally, finished the new version of the megwads of this project and if this will not have any problem in it could be easily one candidate for the final release on idgames!

Both megawads are in the OP post, download them!

 

CHANGES IN 32OF64-V:

  • Added the credit screen
  • Modified the exit in MAP11
  • Modified title lumps from DKC2 text to Doom style
  • Added eventual new version of maps

CHANGES in 32OF64-LR

  • Added new version of the maps
  • Fixed a sky bug sector in MAP02
  • Fixed the CREDIT screen

TO-DO:

  • Write better text file for both wads
  • Compile a better AUTHORS folder/zip for both wads that contains the texts from the various authors

Thanks for the eventual feedback, have fun! And sorry for taking it so long to finish compiling!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Heretic version next?????

 

I have a positive attitude to Heretic projects, but it will need fresh ideas that have not been used before (not just another mapset). Given that this game has a smaller audience.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, riderr3 said:

 

I have a positive attitude to Heretic projects, but it will need fresh ideas that have not been used before (not just another mapset). Given that this game has a smaller audience.

 

You know, I was thinking in these days about some unusual or not extremely used ideas for a community project that will gain some interest in it...

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I think that it is possible to make the Ultimate Doom version, but, as @riderr3 said above, it might need something new to avoid recycling the same idea over and over again.

 

I have a couple of maps I made this summer for the first episode, the second being halfway done. Both weight about 64 kb and have no custom textures or enemies. In case someone wants to start a project (including myself probably), I will finish these maps and provide a link for them.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Well, I think that it is possible to make the Ultimate Doom version, but, as @riderr3 said above, it might need something new to avoid recycling the same idea over and over again.

 

You mean something completely different from the 64 kb limit, right? Or keep the file size limit plus another theme or concept?

 

I have probably something ready to go for the next type of challenge, but I have to see what type of project will gain more people interested into it...

 

52 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

I have a couple of maps I made this summer for the first episode, the second being halfway done. Both weight about 64 kb and have no custom textures or enemies. In case someone wants to start a project (including myself probably), I will finish these maps and provide a link for them.

 

For Doom 2 or Doom?

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

 

You mean something completely different from the 64 kb limit, right? Or keep the file size limit plus another theme or concept?

 

I have probably something ready to go for the next type of challenge, but I have to see what type of project will gain more people interested into it...

 

 

For Doom 2 or Doom?

Probably keeping the file size. Or, probably, expand or trim it - 128/96/48/32 kb challenge.

My maps are for Doom 1.

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder how a 32 kb level (or other type of thing using a wad format) will look...

Spoiler

Actually, I have in mind to do a 32 kb challenge sooner or later, but I have also in mind other type of projects

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I think that 128 kb will be easier than 64 kb too, but what if I add another restrictions to it? Like 128 kb but don't use any new stuff over the stock one in the main IWAD? Probably use new skies or music, but taken from Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom or the unused midis pack... Or something else like using a strict pack of textures, weapons and monsters that adhere a certain theme... Something similar to the Doomer Boards Project in style.

Edited by Walter confetti

Share this post


Link to post

ahh i havnt seen this page for a long time its come a ways..been busy such is life... i shall play these tmo as soon as i can :p

Share this post


Link to post

Final version added and soon i'll put them to idgames, if nothing is wrong here!

 

Added readme files, make a better authors file for both megawads and fixed a little typo in the CREDIT screen.

 

Link is the same in OP

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, Walter confetti said:

Yeah, I think that 128 kb will be easier than 64 kb too, but what if I add another restrictions to it? Like 128 kb but don't use any new stuff over the stock one in the main IWAD? Probably use new skies or music, but taken from Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom or the unused midis pack... Or something else like using a strict pack of textures, weapons and monsters that adhere a certain theme... Something similar to the Doomer Boards Project in style.

I'd go the other way, let the mapper include whatever they want (new map, music, textures, etc.), but they aren't allowed to submit a WAD file larger than 128kb. It would be cool to see who pushes things with either a larger map using stock resources, or a smaller map but with more of a custom theme. 

Share this post


Link to post

FYI the limit removing download doesnt have the idgames text file, just the authors text file

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Horus said:

FYI the limit removing download doesnt have the idgames text file, just the authors text file

 

Ok, I'll add it next time.

 

2 hours ago, an_mutt said:

I'd go the other way, let the mapper include whatever they want (new map, music, textures, etc.), but they aren't allowed to submit a WAD file larger than 128kb. It would be cool to see who pushes things with either a larger map using stock resources, or a smaller map but with more of a custom theme. 

 

Yeah, that's more interesting to do I guess, now you make battling between two extremes: at one side my already planned idea for a 32 kb challenge that I thought is more challenging than 128 kb, but the other way looks that can be done more easily and adding more stuff, maybe I can add both of the ideas, I have just to see if the next thing will be a freeform project like this one or it will have some type of stricter theme, over to make a 128 kb wad.

Share this post


Link to post

In MAP17 of 32OF64-V, I'm having a huge slimetrail effect in front of the skull switch opening the final chamber with tons of enemies (with the exit platform in its center). I am using GZDoom 4.4.2, software renderer.

 

In general, the whole thing is ingenious, though. Never thought such creative and entertaining maps are possible with the limits imposed by the project guidelines. With software renderer and OPL synth as MIDI device, this feels like a blast from the past. Well done, everybody!

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks! And really, again? I thought that bug in MAP17 was fixed! I'll have to check it out

 

EDIT: Ok, fixed out some missing sections in the text files and fixed the sector bug in MAP17.

 

Link is in OP. I'll upload this on idgames now

Edited by Walter confetti

Share this post


Link to post

Outstanding! And bugfix for MAP17 is confirmed.

 

I wasn't finished playing the vanilla megawad, however. In MAP24, I am not sure if the teleporter leading back outside after opening the exit chamber is actually working. After lowering the final pit and hitting the skull switch, the teleporter niche opens, but if you step inside, nothing happens.

Edited by NightFright

Share this post


Link to post

Congrats on the release! This project was a lot of fun to map for, and to play through as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, the Doom speedrun Discord has been working on a demo pack for these two wads the past two months, and it has just been released! Please check the demo pack thread if you'd like to check out any of the lmps. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×