Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 64 KB challenge (2 megawads completed and on Idgames!)

12 minutes ago, tam said:

Imma do one of these too, seems like a fun thing. Do I get a cookie for doing this or nah?

Yes

I loved the idea, I wish I had time to make one as well!
Unfortunately the map crashed on chocolate when I tried to open teh brown door. idk why :-(

Other than that looks very sweet!

Edited by Noiser

Found the issue: There is a switch used as a mid-texture on linedef 256, next to the red arrow

@NoisyVelvetThe first blue door or the second one? Cuz that uses generalized action stuff, and it don't work on Crispy. I tried, trust me

Edit: It just hit me that I could've just made doors with two different-colored keys... I just wanted to experiment with this kinda concept for a while. Soz.

Edited by tam

7 hours ago, Noiser said:

Found the issue: There is a switch used as a mid-texture on linedef 256, next to the red arrow

Switch is intentional, but I can remove it if it gives problems... And I see there's 2 new levels, going to try them this evening....

Interesting concept restricting via file size. Nice idea! Only problem though, the map is impossible on Chocolate DooM since the tan door outside crashes whenever I open it, meaning I can't grab the yellow key.

Ok, removed the midtexture switch that make crush chocolate-doom and changed to a normal switch. Also changed the rocky textures from white to brown one, for add more variety in the map. Link is the same in OP.

Also played the maps you guys did using this restriction, they are pretty interesting and fun to play!

20 hours ago, tam said:

@NoisyVelvetThe first blue door or the second one? Cuz that uses generalized action stuff, and it don't work on Crispy. I tried, trust me

Edit: It just hit me that I could've just made doors with two different-colored keys... I just wanted to experiment with this kinda concept for a while. Soz.

Also you have it going to title screen after you exit. Is that a MAPINFO thing? In any case I liked your blue key setup, but yeah you can change it for vanilla if you so desired.

I've played all 3 in UV they are all great! @xxWeNxx map was definitely the hardest I died a few times, very fun.

Fun Idea! Download.

npNedQF.png

63.7kb Vanilla compatible map for Doom 2. No skill settings, all the same across difficulties. Kind of a hard map and it includes a plasma rifle! I might come back to this map and increase the file size. I don't mind this map being part of a 64kb community project, if it happens. Thanks for the inspiration challenge!

There are two wads in the RAR archive. One with music (Swalzi64km.wad) and one without (Swalzi64k.wad). I included the one without music just to show I'm under the 64kb limit.

Previous version:

Spoiler

v1.0 download: Swalzi64k.rar
v1.1 download: Swalzi64k_v1.1.rar

-------

I had a fun time and recorded FDAs for the maps so far. All recorded with Crispy Doom.

@Walter confetti aww, such a cute map! I recorded your level on HMP on the first version with the switch bug.

@tam I couldn't finish your map in Crispy or PRBoom+ complevel default, unfortunately. The player can't open the many walls between the demons and exit. Due to inadequate space between the player and the interactive object.  Sorry, if I appear frustrated in the demos. I didn't want to give up.

@xxWeNxx I like the visuals and layout of the map. Beginning spooked me a bit and had to play cautiously for the rest, lol.

Edited by Swalzi : Updated wad.

This is starting to look kind of fun... I may have to make a map for this tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Linguica said:

Interesting restriction, makes me wonder how I can exploit it.

Just link your googol.wad map, it was well under 64kb if I recall correctly. Meets the requirements.

the new maps looks interesting!

i have recorded a video of OwO with dosbox and playing it on heretic+, HMP.

Spoiler

fun short map, Dynamite!

Edited by Walter confetti

Alright, I couldn't resist! Here's my entry: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wptbx8dnu602xf/64k_noiser.rar?dl=1

Vanilla-compatible
Music by @Ribbiks

According to my pc, the wad is exactly 64.0kb

image.png.f342d0d87a8dcabef66f09caae5835e2.png

It's quite hard I guess. Not made with freelook in mind.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, Walter confetti said:

Ok, removed the midtexture switch that make crush chocolate-doom and changed to a normal switch.

That's a somewhat obscure limit. For those who doesn't know: textures that have more than one patch can't be used as mid-textures. It crashes as soon as the player see it.

Edited by Noiser

My map is held together with duct tape on top of ripped scotch tape, so no wonder many people are having trouble getting it to run properly... O well. Is a learning experience for future mapping in the Boom format c:

4 hours ago, Noiser said:

For those who doesn't know: textures that uses more than one patch can't be used as mid-textures. It crashes as soon as the player see it.

I've come in knownledge of this bug with mapping on Heretic, because i used a hidden switch and it happened that the map crashes at that point. Never known that this happens too on Doom, it just worked fine with the ports i've used so far...

EDIT: That promised cookie for @tam is come! In form of another wad!

64kwad2.zip

PL7X3PK.png

5L8p8jd.png

Title: Champions Breakfast

(limit-removing ports, complevel 2. Got a massive HOM on chocorenderlimits)

Needs cookietex.wad in the zip to work.

File size of the map is 64,0 KB, but texture file is 136 KB! Next time i had to put new textures i'll make it 64 kb....

Have fun!

Edited by Walter confetti