Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hunting4r2d2

List of Demons in Doom Eternal (not including variants).

I recently discovered a video in which someone scrolled passed all of the codex entries for demons:

Being the over analyst that I am, I decided to count all of the entries, coming up with a grand total of 27 slots. It is also interesting to note that demons who are variants of each other appear to take up the same codex slot (i.e., the shield zombie can be found in the same spot as the regular one). They also seem to be organized under subtitles. By filling in the rest of the slots, we can kind of get an idea of how many more demons remain to be seen:

Light

1. Zombies, Unwilling, Zombie Cultists

2. Imp

3. Gargoyle

4. Zombie Soldier, Shield Zombie

5. Lost Soul

6. Maykr Drone

Heavy

7. Arachnotron

8. Cacodemon

9. Carcass

10. Cyber Mancubus

11. Dread Knight

12. Hell Knight

13. Mancubus

14. Pain Elemental

15. Pinky

16. Prowler

17. Revenant

18. Spectre

19. Whiplash

Super Heavy

20. Arch-Vile

21. Baron of Hell

22. Doom Hunter

23. Marauder

24. Tyrant

Stationary

26. Tentacle

27. Cueball

28. ???

Italicized= Guess

(Note, I don't speak Russian so some of these subtitles may be off. Also, this list doesn't seem to include bosses.)

Anyways, so what do you guys think?

Edited by Hunting4r2d2

That is still not enough.  And the reason I say that is the developers claimed there were surprises all the way up until the final mission.  We have seen nearly all those demons you listed by level 3.

Edited by Zemini

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

That is still not enough.  And the reason I say that is the developers claimed there were surprises all the way up until the final mission.  We have seen nearly all those demons you listed by level 3.

I agree as it is all but confirmed we will fight the Maykrs forces, and I Doubt we will fight only one of them(Maykr Drone)

Where is the cannon zombie located?  A variant of the soldiers?

I am hoping that there might actually be a lot more variants of the same type.  I hope we see another baron class.

There might also be a hidden category for the maykrs and their creations.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

Where is the cannon zombie located?  A variant of the soldiers?

I am hoping that there might actually be a lot more variants of the same type.  I hope we see another baron class.

There might also be a hidden category for the maykrs and their creations.

Yea, that's what I'm starting to believe as well. Looking at it now, I don't think this codex serves as the best indication of how many demons we have yet to see. Though I still thought it would be fun to try and fill it out on my own.

As for demon variants, I am hoping that we get to see the 2016 cyber-demon make an appearance (after all, that may be the reason why named the classic design the Tyrant).

When I asked about the Baalgar at QC, Hugo just said that I should be in for a surprise.  So my interpretation is that the cultists bring him back as a cyber-cyberdemon.  We do know that the cultist used the corpse of the Spider Mastermind to make Arachnotrons.

I still hope we get to fight the natural Baalgars.  They are my favorite demon design.

I hope more enemies means more different/new attacks and abilities for them, since there's a lot of effort into the player's arsenal and i feel like there's so much you can do with enemies in this formula, even if it's with some enemies that would show up more on non-arena areas than locked arenas or balance around health/pain chance/damage numbers/feedback/hitbox/model size.

* Like, looking at some weapons and abilities in 2016's multiplayer, you could make an enemy based off Hellshot's alt fire with a projectile that would temporarily stick to the player and cause some short timed continuous poison ability. (and picking up health could stop it)(this could work with the Cybermanc)(also, like the poison arrows in Hexen, Doomguy could cough during this effect)

* If the Spectre returns, make him more ghost like, that he can go through the player or something.

* An attack that can affect health without touching armor could create tension, since normally, armor must go down first.

* Maybe some "freeze" ability that could slow down the player with a slow projectile, enforcing use of melee to break the ice around the player. (inspired by the slow walk floors in that Hell level)

* Something that mimicks the Tesla rocket with some distance based energy shocks or even a projectile that shoots other projectiles.

* Maybe a shockwave/AoE attack that causes an earthquake and can stun the player for one second. (could be good for the Baalgar and make him more Bowser like because of the Mario inspiration)

* The Harvester could be perfect for an ability to heal himself to stealing the player's health, which could draw a demonic parallel to the player's glory kills, syphon grenade and healing abilities. (and Harvester restoring his own health can be represented with the gore system, where he reverses his damage)

* Maybe a demon carrying a BFG? (more suited for a boss)

* Turn the Hell Guard worms into something similar to Duke Nukem's Slimers/the choking hands from Blood, that can eat the player's face and cover the screen with their ugly mouths, but just a quick punch or a few bullets takes care of them.

* Maybe some Heretic inspiration where a demon gets to shoot tornados. (that can spin the player and make him go up, like the tornados from the Iron Lich)

* Hell razers could have had a rail gun attack (similar to 2016's cyberdemon) as a secondary attack and in case their energy beams miss the player, make it split into three beams, with the left and right ones slowly turning away from the middle beam.

* Maybe a chainsaw enemy like the Sawcubus who could lock the player in some chainsaw animation that exists to drain health but a single punch/attack cancels it and the player can deactivate the enemy's saw, making him just a random basic melee guy. (this one is based off Wolfenstein New Order's weird knife stabby combat where BJ and a nazi just stab each other until one dies, except the version i'm suggesting is something that can be easily cancelled)

* Knowing the fire pillars/bars, they could have a monster capable of shooting spinning energy/fire sticks/blades that come in X/Y/Z angles/positions, making them trickier to avoid.

* Speaking of enemy shields, maybe something that could reflect projectiles but is dealt easily with hitscan or some other method like hitting a specific spot of the enemy to turn off that shield.

* Maybe mimics like in Dark Souls, where pick ups that are in a different color or glow in a different way are demons in disguise.

Sure, this stuff looks gimmicky and it's obviously inspired by either some level hazards, weapons and abilities from the player (Both single and multiplayer), other games and even some mods. (i mean, if id Software themselves are taking inspiration from mods and different games, they could take some basic concepts and find good ways to execute them, that don't feel that noticeable like a new enemy design or something)

Considering the player having feedback for the Revenant's homing rockets and the fact that you can disable some enemy attacks, along with the fact that the new Doom's increase your power level, i feel like there's a lot that can be done with enemies and a lot of otherwise annoying things that could be justified in a lot of ways, be it enemy health, damage, pain chance, feedback or even the new hitbox system. (the same system in which you can weaken enemies during fights)

No matter how "unfair" or "gimmicky" a demon can be, there could always be a justification for their existence.

Id themselves worked really hard on this game (to the point there was crunch even) and i'm just some guy writing gameplay fanfiction, so i'm probably being delusional while writting this and should be grateful with what we've got.

But i feel like, to me, that's probably the best kind of fanservice that could happen, not just because it appeals to some people that play mods like Colorfull Hell, Champions, Complex Doom etc, but i feel like even new players would love this and the guys who make lore videos would probably make videos about this too, maybe.

Increasing a bad guy's power level only makes the good guy's power level even more impressive and variety can be a good example.

It could also make the new games closer to classic Doom in the sense that Doom 2 expanded the roster with new and unique monster types, that make the game feel different because of their abilities.

When enemies are different enough, you could look at something like FreeDoom or even Simpsons Doom, where the sprites and sounds are changed but the core gameplay is still the same, so you get to soon realize which enemy is which Doom enemy.

Not sure what the direction of the DLC campaigns will be like (and if they have a lot of pans for it) and we don't even know the full roster of the base game, but if any id employee is somehow reading this, there's a lot of potential in what i'm saying.

But at the same time, it took a lot of time to make the new gore system work, so i can't blame anyone if what i'd like to see happen doesn't happen.

Edit: also accuracy from the enemies is another factor, specially for some hitscan attacks.

Edited by whatup876 : adding a bit more

So based on the new Ign video.

The Carcass and the Maykr Drone are switched, Carcass being a heavy demon and Maykr Drone being fodder. Spectre is officially confirmed now and is counted separately from the Pinky as is the Cybermancubus.

I updated the list.

Interestingly enough, I found no room for the Gladiator, which probably means that this list is not indicative of the final bestiary.

8 minutes ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

I updated the list.

Interestingly enough, I found no room for the Gladiator, which probably means that this list is not indicative of the final bestiary.

I really hope it's not, so that there's even more demons we haven't seen yet. Speculating to make myself feel better, maybe the media version given out has a reduced list to foil any attempted leaks?

15 hours ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

I updated the list.

The Codex has another section using the same symbol as the Demon section, perhaps indicating one is for Demons another for bosses?

Doesn't the codex also lists the Zombiemen and shield/shotgunners in the same entry?

I wonder if there's more examples of certain enemies sharing the same page.

I think the cyborg zombies (the ones with the cannons) are also in the plain zombies tab.

And missing are the Gladiator (in the gameplay we see him with other demons around him so probably not a boss) and probably several more variants of demon, the non-Drone Maykrs, and bosses (which I assume will count the Khan Maykr, Icon of Sin and at least one more)

4 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

Doesn't the codex also lists the Zombiemen and shield/shotgunners in the same entry?

I wonder if there's more examples of certain enemies sharing the same page.

Zombies and The Unwilling and I'm guessing Zombie cultists

6 hours ago, TheAncientOrder said:

Has the Baron of Hell been confirmed as either a Heavy or Super Heavy?

Super.

Why do they group some variants but not others?  My guess is that their behavior if very different.

The zombie entry has been confirmed to contain four different variants.  Earth, Hell, Cultist and Cyber-Zombie.

Sadly, it looks like we we have seen all the demons except for the bosses.  There are some additional concepts from the art book but nothing that looked to be final.

1 hour ago, Novaseer said:

Super.

I find this just the slightest bit weird. As he seems weaker compared to the other Super-Heavies, but is obviously stronger than the Heavies.

8 minutes ago, TheAncientOrder said:

I find this just the slightest bit weird. As he seems weaker compared to the other Super-Heavies, but is obviously stronger than the Heavies.

I think the Barons, much akin to the Pain Elementals, are just meant to be big bullet sponges that demand your attention so the heavies can get hits in.

29 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

I guess we won't see Heavy Weapon Dude in this one :( I hope be proven wrong...

He might be a Heavy as that would make sense in my opinion, but idk

I find weird that Gargoyles don't come from Hell when there's a chance they'll tie the new lore to something like Doom 64, which had Gargoyle statues and one could easily assume these could be connected.

Knowing the ghost/spirit wovles, i wonder what that says about Hellhounds, be it dog/canine creatues from Hell itself or even possessed/corrupted dogs like UAC guard dogs or domestic pets from Earth.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

I guess we won't see Heavy Weapon Dude in this one :( I hope be proven wrong...

I thought the Hell Razer was his replacement but even he seems to be cut, despite filling a potential niche, even if it wasn't that well executed but i believe there could have been potential fixes for him.

Also it appears that the Archvile has an attack where some fire appears next to the player then explodes quickly, so in some way his classic explosive flame is there even if it doesn't chase you.

Also, the "line" that the Marauder shoots from his axe can spin, so it is kind of close to the "fire sticks" thing i suggested once.

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

I find weird that Gargoyles don't come from Hell when there's a chance they'll tie the new lore to something like Doom 64, which had Gargoyle statues and one could easily assume these could be connected.

Knowing the ghost/spirit wovles, i wonder what that says about Hellhounds, be it dog/canine creatues from Hell itself or even possessed/corrupted dogs like UAC guard dogs or domestic pets from Earth.

I thought the Hell Razer was his replacement but even he seems to be cut, despite filling a potential niche, even if it wasn't that well executed but i believe there could have been potential fixes for him.

Also it appears that the Archvile has an attack where some fire appears next to the player then explodes quickly, so in some way his classic explosive flame is there even if it doesn't chase you.

Also, the "line" that the Marauder shoots from his axe can spin, so it is kind of close to the "fire sticks" thing i suggested once.

The hell razer has been replaced by the cyber-zombie it seems. they fire sort of the same energy beam.

2 minutes ago, skepticalbiscuit said:

The hell razer has been replaced by the cyber-zombie it seems. they fire sort of the same energy beam.

They have plasma blasts and flamethrowers, but I dont think lasers.

19 minutes ago, TheAncientOrder said:

They have plasma blasts and flamethrowers, but I dont think lasers.

really? i could have sworn i saw a video somewhere where they fire a long laser beam from a great distance

Marauder's shield seems to deflect some projectiles like the grenades and minirockets but not plasma from what i remember.

I wonder if that being possible means those could hurt back the player like the Hexen centaurs.

28 minutes ago, skepticalbiscuit said:

really? i could have sworn i saw a video somewhere where they fire a long laser beam from a great distance

I may be wrong. Personally I haven't seen them use a laser.

53 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

Marauder's shield seems to deflect some projectiles like the grenades and minirockets but not plasma from what i remember.

I wonder if that being possible means those could hurt back the player like the Hexen centaurs.

I think I saw in Markiplier's video that all projectiles bounce off the shield of the Marauder into unpredictable directions, so it might be possible that they damage the player if hit by them.

11 hours ago, Zemini said:

Why do they group some variants but not others?  My guess is that their behavior if very different.

The zombie entry has been confirmed to contain four different variants.  Earth, Hell, Cultist and Cyber-Zombie.

Sadly, it looks like we we have seen all the demons except for the bosses.  There are some additional concepts from the art book but nothing that looked to be final.

It's a little bit of a bummer, but on the bright side, we are getting DLC that will, without a doubt, introduce some new baddies (figures crossed for the Bruisers from ROE).