Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tetzlaff

Supercharge (Soul Sphere) and Mega Sphere

I remember one of the health items restoring your health up to 200 points, no matter what your previous health was. I thought the Supercharge worked this way. But the Doom FAQ http://doomgate.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/doomfaq.html tells that the Soul Sphere (= Supercharge) just gives 100 health points, up to a total of 200. So was it the Mega Sphere that gave you 200 health and 200 armor? (The FAQ doesn´t mention the Mega Sphere)

Yes. If you had 100 health when you get the Soulsphere, then it goes up to 200. Otherwise, it adds 100 health to whatever you had. It's best to get a few Medikits to get your health at its highest before you get one of these. Of course, it doesn't matter with the Megasphere.

Ichor said:

Yes. If you had 100 health when you get the Soulsphere, then it goes up to 200...

Unless you are running a REALLY old copy of doom (ver 1.1 or maybe 1.2???). In that version, the max health was 299% IIRC. Of course to get there, you had to have at least 199 health before getting the Soul Sphere (because yes, all it does it add up to 100% health, not max out your health).

I think it was 199%, while armor could go over 200%.

myk said:

I think it was 199%, while armor could go over 200%.

Ooops yes, you're right. The old memory aint what it used to be. :-)

I just grabbed the first set of old 3.5" disks that came to hand and installed Doom1 from them (it was v 1.2). Health went up to 199% and Armor to 299% in that version. Not sure where my v 1.1 disks are ATM (they better not be lost!) but I don't suppose it was too different.

I tried running v1.1 and v1.0 on Windows 98 and no luck, while v1.2 and above and even the alphas and the beta all work.

myk said:

I tried running v1.1 and v1.0 on Windows 98 and no luck

Yeah, those early versions won't run under Win '98. They should still work from a DOS boot though.

One of the older versions I have played would let your armour points go well over 299. It was done by picking up single armour points. Or something.

Y2theJ said:

One of the older versions I have played would let your armour points go well over 299. It was done by picking up single armour points. Or something.

Are you not just thinking of the fact that picking up the blue armor would take you to 200 (but not over 200), and that subsequently picking up armor helmets would then increase the value until you hit 299?

Enjay said:

Health went up to 199% and Armor to 299% in that version.

I had 574% armour once.