Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heejyhorang

Will we need a giant mechs to kill Titan(s) in Doom Eternal?

The slayers testaments in doom 16 painted the picture of the slayer killing the great titan with nothing but a sword. That's how I imagined it going down until the recent trailers and gameplays were released. Now it's been revealed that there are multiple titan like demons and decrepit sentinel mechs frozen in battle. Moreover, the doom slayers hub has the torso and head of the same mech on display. 

Now I'm starting to wonder if the armor forged by the wretch according to the slayers testaments was actually a big ass mech, and the slayer used the mech to fight the titan.

I hope I'm wrong and that we will get to battle the titan on foot like a pure bad ass, but wanted to hear what you fellow nerds think....

Considering they've shown a section with a playable Revenant, i can see Mech based gameplay.

Maybe even make it shoot swarms of Tyrants/Cyberdemons who look really tiny in a segment like that.

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Considering they've shown a section with a playable Revenant, i can see Mech based gameplay.

Maybe even make it shoot swarms of Tyrants/Cyberdemons who look really tiny in a segment like that.

It's one thing to invest in developing and investing in gameplay mechanics for demons, since playable demons are a major component to Eternal's multiplayer, but developing giant Mech gameplay seems like it would be insanely expensive and hard to pull off. I'm kind of talking myself out of the idea that the doomguy will pilot a mech, but given all the mech-centric stuff we've seen thus far who knows

An issue with a playable mech is if it's slow because of how big it is, which would clash with the fast focused gameplay design.

I do think mechs as a concept could fit Doom's setting, in the sense that UAC would probably experiment with it and even use it to fight against the possible biggest demons on Earth.

I'd also like to see UAC/Sentinel mechs corrupted by demons, so they're "possessed".

Mechs will never ever go out of style. But I think I would prefer if he fought toe-to-toe with a titan. So it's like a Shadow of the Colosus type of fight, but with DE's fast paced platforming mechanics. It could make for an interesting boss fight.

The second I saw that you control a revenant my first thought was "oh, there's going to be a mech sequence too, obviously."

Mechs would totally fit the game, it’s just a challenge of making the actual gameplay of it feel meaningful, and not “well I could have done the same thing just shooting it with my gun”, which at that point it would just feel tacked on.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

22 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Mechs would totally fit the game, it’s just a challenge of making the actual gameplay of it feel meaningful, and not “well I could have done the same thing just shooting it with my gun”, which at that point it would just feel tacked on.

Agreed.  and spending the resources to develop a Mech gameplay section would not be worth it if it's just a quick segment.  I think it would be cool to fight along a mech maybe...

On 1/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, Urdak5891 said:

That giant doomslayer in the fortress of doom, could it be there just for the cool factor and looks?

Maybe the mechs are actually unmanned machines controlled by some kind of magic?  the Night Sentinels, including the Slayer, seem too powerful to need mechs.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:01 PM, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Mechs will never ever go out of style. But I think I would prefer if he fought toe-to-toe with a titan. So it's like a Shadow of the Colosus type of fight, but with DE's fast paced platforming mechanics. It could make for an interesting boss fight.

Imagine flying around a titan with the meat hook on the SSG....would be epic

If I had to guess, it will be just a phase for a boss fight.  Then you finish him off normally.

I want to say giant mechs really don't make any sense, but well, neither does anything else from the Doom premises, so why not honestly.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

If I had to guess, it will be just a phase for a boss fight.  Then you finish him off normally.

I can see that. As a way to diversify the gameplay. The only thing that bothers me about Mech usage at all is that would be completely at odds with what the lore has set up in D2016

4 hours ago, Heejyhorang said:

I can see that. As a way to diversify the gameplay. The only thing that bothers me about Mech usage at all is that would be completely at odds with what the lore has set up in D2016

How so?

8 hours ago, Heejyhorang said:

Maybe the mechs are actually unmanned machines controlled by some kind of magic?  the Night Sentinels, including the Slayer, seem too powerful to need mechs.

It could be yes, they had priests on their side too. The deag are sentinels they got corrupted. I think if anything the mech is only for the icon of sin fight

8 hours ago, Urdak5891 said:

It could be yes, they had priests on their side too. The deag are sentinels they got corrupted. I think if anything the mech is only for the icon of sin fight

could be.  Although this doesn't prove much, you can see in the trailer that the slayer is standing on foot under a giant enemy hand that looks to be potential part of the Icon of Sin.  I think ID will stick to tradition of having the player fight this thing on foot.  but we'll be swinging around using the meat hook

8 hours ago, Urdak5891 said:

How so?

If we are to assume that the slayer testaments are in chronological order, the Slayer kills the great titan even before he gets his mighty armor forged by the wretch.  so even if the armor forged by the wretch was actually hinted to be a giant mech, the Slayer still killed the titan before that armor was forged.   Again, that's assuming that the testaments were told in order.

Really hope you don't take down Titans with mechs. If Eternal is supposed to be power fantasy cranked up to 11, I want to take out Titans Kratos-style. Especially if you have the grappling thing, you should be able to get around easily enough.

Imagine if they make you climb and kill it by hand (and feet?) like in Shadow of the Colossus, though I don't know how that's going to work out in First-person view.

There are some parts in the early game where you have to power up mech fragments to pierce through a dead titan's innards.

I also wonder if, in case of titan fight, the corpse will also burn up and disappear while we see all the dead titans remaining perfectly there as part of level geometry.

This was on a loading screen during the Markiplier vid with Hugo:

"....The Khan Maykr, desperate for a way to consume Earth, is attempting to resurrect the Icon of Sin under her Command.  Only the Slayer's Crucible Blade can stop the Icon."

Well, looks like I'll be getting my epic, on foot battle with a titan that I was hoping for :). so pumped i can't handle it.

Bruh, Hugo was the concept artist for Pacific Rim.

What do you think? We piloting a doomguy gundam now.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, Gez said:

There are some parts in the early game where you have to power up mech fragments to pierce through a dead titan's innards.

I also wonder if, in case of titan fight, the corpse will also burn up and disappear while we see all the dead titans remaining perfectly there as part of level geometry.

Crazy idea, mech fights used not really as boss fights, but more like little shifts in combat pace so after the battle of your mech vs. demons, your mech acts as a new piece of level architecture you need to get to the exit.