Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Pistol Gone?

21 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

What about for sniping weaker enemies? Also, mods that enhance the pistol exist. This is for classic Doom.

Sniping weaker enemies was done better by the chaingun in the classics, and the rifle and Gauss/Ballista in 2016 and on.

34 minutes ago, Liquid Ink said:

Presumably they've scattered enough chainsaw ammo around for you to get more ammo. Also, if you're running low in 2016 I think demons drop little bits of ammo anyway.

Apparently if you've run out of chainsaw ammo another charge slowly refills over time, so you'll never truly run out of ammo unless the last enemy on the board is a heavy.

3 hours ago, igg said:

If there's no pistol in Doom Eternal, which weapon do you use when you run out of ammo?

Doesn't he have a punch now? He punches through those walls and I've seen him throw a couple wild punches in one of the recent gameplay videos.

Either way fuck the pistol

19 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

the pistol is like Internet Explorer, everyone uses it for 5 minutes but only to get a better version

Why are there still any comments after this one?

19 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Your Duum 5000 lightsabuh of DESTRUCTION!!! How do you think he fought in Hell all those years with no access to guns or ammo?

*sigh* why?

Doom 2016s pistol , If im being honest; I didn't like it much. I like the model but it sounds terribly weak, It supposed to be I get that but..err Idk just didn't like it all that much. Maybe a punchier sound and a bit more DPS wouldn't have hurt.  Doom 3s pistol again; sound was meh , model too but it was a bit more viable,  reload animation felt good with it too. IDK, this concept of pistols in Doom games is interesting. Original games Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, pistol feels at home, its used pretty much when your out of everything else that will shoot something, I guess in that regard, Doom 2016s pistol fills that purpose too?

Maybe the devs are on to something removing it?! Personally I don't know if I like that or not , guess we will all find out soon enough.  

One YouTuber in particular will be VERY disappointed. His name is I Coleman, and he's made a whole bunch of videos in which he beats Doom games with just the pistol and fists. He covered Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Doom 3 AND RoE, and now he's currently on Doom 2016 and having his ass handed to him.

Just wait until he turns his attention to Doom Eternal...!

Can't say that I'm sad to see the pistol go. I've barely used it past the bit where you first pick up the shotgun in Doom 2016.

If the melee attacks can be enhanced in ways beyond just the Blood Punch, then such a fallback weapon does nothing really but take up space.

42 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

One YouTuber in particular will be VERY disappointed. His name is I Coleman, and he's made a whole bunch of videos in which he beats Doom games with just the pistol and fists. He covered Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Doom 3 AND RoE, and now he's currently on Doom 2016 and having his ass handed to him.

Combat Shotgun without upgrade it's now. He can also do the same again with their old games, playing with only combat shotgun on Doom 3 will be a ass thou.

Oh well. 2016's Pistol was the only one I kinda liked because of the infinite ammo. After I fully upgraded it and got more powerful weapons I never use it again.

The pistol has a certain charm in all of the Doom games for its sheer uselessness. It's the one weapon that's fully invalidated by everything else in the roster; I mean, the super shotgun isn't as accurate as the shotgun, but the chaingun doesn't have anything the pistol doesn't, so on and so forth. 2016, it had the one advantage of infinite ammo; but frankly there's never a moment in the game when you can't somehow get access to a few shells or whatnot.

In Eternal's case the Heavy Cannon seems to have become the ideal fodder-sniper- lots of ammo around, the regular automatic fire dumpsters imps in a few shots, and of course with the weapon mod you're one-hitting anything human-sized. Hence there really isn't a need for any pistol.

Frankly, though, this little number cut from Doom 2016 would have been quite nice to start out with, or maybe see some zombies toting...

2016_AR.png.a138d8b71460b21f1dbc4792a711e7a9.png

6 hours ago, NoXion said:

Can't say that I'm sad to see the pistol go. I've barely used it past the bit where you first pick up the shotgun in Doom 2016.

If the melee attacks can be enhanced in ways beyond just the Blood Punch, then such a fallback weapon does nothing really but take up space.

I would still use the pistol even while carrying other guns. The shotgun in Doom 4 isn't a rifle like in Classic Doom.

20 hours ago, NoXion said:

Just a sec though, was it actually directly confirmed that the pistol is indeed gone?

I must've missed the confirmation if it's true...

3 minutes ago, seed said:

Just a sec though, was it actually directly confirmed that the pistol is indeed gone?

I must've missed the confirmation if it's true...

A mean the very first level doesn't have it so I see no reason why it would appear in later levels unless it got a huge upgrade.

Pistols in Doom Eternal are like pistols in classic doom it’s expected to be there but it’s not that important.

Quake didn’t have a pistol

2 minutes ago, The Icon of Sin said:

Pistols in Doom Eternal are like pistols in classic doom it’s expected to be there but it’s not that important.

In a few seconds I got that reference.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:10 AM, Foebane72 said:

That said, Doom 3's pistol is really the only useful one. The fact that it is the only pistol with its own ammo supply makes it very useful against weaker enemies like trites. Classic pistol, bloody useless once you get the chaingun.

On 3/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, Duke of Pathoris said:

That said, Doom 3's pistol is really the only useful one. The fact that it is the only pistol with its own ammo supply makes it very useful against weaker enemies like trites. Classic pistol, bloody useless once you get the chaingun.

Also Headshoot mechanics.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:19 AM, Duke of Pathoris said:

I discovered that the Doom 3 pistol is very useful against Lost Souls.