Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Distortion Dog

Miracle Soundfont (now with 55 flavors!)

10 hours ago, NightFright said:

Chorus and reverb make sense with SC-55-like soundfonts to get closer to the original sound. Patch55 recommended turning it on for his own sf2 in GZDoom. I am actually using these settings and they work fine also with Masquerade55.

Well I tried it out, it doesnt make much difference. I guess BASSMIDI has a different approach to Chorus. I'll go back to the drawing board

Geez, you reduced filesize even further? Which shrinking magic do you apply here, man? xD

Anyway, at least D_DOOM seems to sound properly now. Footsteps in D_EVIL however didn't see any improvement so far. Would help to know what exactly you changed so I know what to check when listening to my midis. 

4 hours ago, NightFright said:

Geez, you reduced filesize even further? Which shrinking magic do you apply here, man? xD

Anyway, at least D_DOOM seems to sound properly now. Footsteps in D_EVIL however didn't see any improvement so far. Would help to know what exactly you changed so I know what to check when listening to my midis. 

I purged every non-55 GS Presets so I can focus on tuning the GM presets first. As for changes:

Spoiler

-new harpsichord samples (E-MU)

-marimba now has no chorus

-new church organ samples (also E-MU)

-clean guitar has less chorus

-mutes now have a longer decay + no chorus

-overdrive and distortion guitars have lower chorus

-slap bass 2 has different mixing, more hard attack

-harp has different mixing 

-syn string 2 has a different sweep

-orchhit uses two samples for mix reasons

-french horn has different mixing, a bit more mellow

-syn brass 1 and 2 have no chorus because of fluidsynth

-syn brass 1 has different mixing, softer pitchbend.

-charang has changed from sitar to clavinet

-bass lead has different mixing, filter stuff

-fantasia uses synstring now, bell has gone from 5th to 7th

-warm pad uses synstring

-new bagpipe samples (E-MU strikes back)

-tinkerbell is now less synth-ish

-snares are now punchier 

and a lot of minor volume adjustments

There's still a lot of other stuff I need to work on (the ethnic instruments, SFX samples, sharper modular synth samples, 55-style or XGlite editions?), but I still require input from people to know if I'm doing something right.

Edited by Distortion Dog : Addendum + missed some stuff

Link has been updated, changelog below

Spoiler

- Re-recorded brass instruments (Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba)

- New string instrument samples (Violin, Viola, Cello, Contrabass)

- Synth Bass 1 is now Saw only

- Adjusted Bass Lead's velocity regions' filter

- New Gunshot

- Roland Crystal sound added

- New Fantasia preset

- New Sweep preset

Edited by Distortion Dog : hotfix

Nice soundfont. It reminds me of Touhou soundfont I used up to this point. It sounds especially good with PC98 midis. I will switch to it as my primary choice for now. Will let you know if I find some bugs.

Miracle 2 is finally here; I've been working on this for a year now and I believe it's done enough for release. From now on all the releases will be separated by dates instead of version numbers, as for the older 1.x versions, they're now under the Old ver. spoiler. 

There are a lot of changes, most particularly the filesize increase due to higher sample usage, I believe I found a sweet spot as to regards of sample rate and sample count.

Here's Doom's EP1, for demonstration:

Download

Damn, so many good soundfonts are dropping this last couple weeks. Excellent work, sounds really good for the Doom music!

48 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Damn, so many good soundfonts are dropping this last couple weeks. Excellent work, sounds really good for the Doom music!

Interesting! I'll be sure to check them out later, but largely this has been purely coincidental!

Anyhow, I just made another demo, something more refreshing for this summer: 

"Snowball" Is now live!

I have been working on this for some time, and I believe this is the right time to present Miracle2C.

Now, the original M2 now aims for a different sound, as I felt I was being closed off by the prospect of staying too faithful to the Roland sound.

Miracle2C exists for the opposite reason: I wanted to take a shot at doing a SC55 soundfont, but I always felt some of the Roland instruments were kind of dull, so there are some rare deviations. Overall however, its purpose is simple: to be better than the MS GS SoftSynth :-)

Miracle2 here

Miracle2C here

I wish everyone happy holidays, and a happy new year!

Spoiler

Pagodia was one of the first mapsets I tested with Miracle, and I went straight back as soon as this dropped.

Adoring the way 2C sounds richer in places.

Thank you for your continued work on this, Dog!

Edited by Daytime Waitress