Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hydroact

Is Doomguy the Doomslayer?

Didn't the Doomguy die at the end of a Doom 1 or Doom 2 episode? I remember being in a dark room getting attacked by pinkies, unable to defend myself. 

22 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I thought Doom 64 Retribution was supposed to have an extra episode like that and Gerardo194's 64 monster sprites were related to it (he even made a titan)

It will. Waiting on two things before I get too far into it: the sprites (they haven't been published) and Eternal to come out because it might add more to that story.

12 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Ah yes, I stand corrected. Apologies. Still, doom 3 does not logically flow to doom due to the key cyberdemon difference and the lack of any hint of problems on Mars in the original story. There were no teleportation experiments there.

All can be written off to changes in the arty style and what not.  And yes there were teleportation tests in the Classic Doom lore.  In fact it caused people to explode.

As far as I'm concerned it's all the same protagonist besides the Doom 3 games and VFR.

The Ultimate Doom

Sigil

Hell on Earth

The Master Levels

No Rest for the Living

TNT Evilution

Plutonia Experiment

Doom 64

Doom 2016 (with VFR happening concurrently starring a different protagonist)

Doom Eternal

One protagonist through it all. Stays in hell at the end of Doom 64, is freed in Doom 2016.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

All can be written off to changes in the arty style and what not.  And yes there were teleportation tests in the Classic Doom lore.  In fact it caused people to explode.

The "lore" (heh) specifically says the teleportation experiments were only taking place between the two moons.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:01 PM, igg said:

Didn't the Doomguy die at the end of a Doom 1 or Doom 2 episode? I remember being in a dark room getting attacked by pinkies, unable to defend myself. 

Fun fact about that one. At the end of Knee Deep in the Dead, if I remember correctly, there's a special sector in the dark room on the other side of the teleporter. This area will trigger the end of the map when the player's health reaches a low value, I'm not sure of the exact figure, something like 12 or 14.

Although it seems very likely that Doomguy did die "offscreen", whether he actually died isn't confirmed anywhere, so far as I know. Either way, he got back up and carved his way through the rest of Hell's heavies.

For the longest time I didn't realise that the player doesn't actually die at the end of the first episode. So I always thought that Doomguy died, but it didn't stick because he died on the shores of Hell, where the rules of life and death are slightly different. But maybe he stumbled across a medkit in time.

One of the reasons I liked the lore in 2016 was the way in which the Doom Slayer was portrayed as this aeons-old badass could be interpreted as a nod to all the custom mapping that's been done and which is still going strong to this day. *hits blunt* I can just imagine the Doom Slayer being empowered as the collective avatar of every other Doomguy in the multiverse. The Slayer's silent rage an unheard echo of the curses from the uncounted throats of frustrated Doom players across space and time.

The game ends when your health goes below 10, and the sector effect doesn't allow you to have your life dropping below 1. You do not technically die. If you use this sector effect to end a regular level (not an end-of-episode level), you'll start the next level alive, just with very little health... Whereas a real death exit makes you start the next level with a new life (100 health, no armor, fist & pistol only, 50 bullets).

Edited by Gez

2 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

No. Cuz the doomguy is lefty and the slayer is righty.

*overwhelming evidence we have at this point, even leaks confirming it's the same guy *

"no cuz hands"

Brillant. 

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Doomguy isn't a lefty, he's ambidextrous!

Well considering he punches things with the left hand but appears to be right-handed when using other weapons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

On 2/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, NoXion said:

Fun fact about that one. At the end of Knee Deep in the Dead, if I remember correctly, there's a special sector in the dark room on the other side of the teleporter. This area will trigger the end of the map when the player's health reaches a low value, I'm not sure of the exact figure, something like 12 or 14.

Although it seems very likely that Doomguy did die "offscreen", whether he actually died isn't confirmed anywhere, so far as I know. Either way, he got back up and carved his way through the rest of Hell's heavies.

For the longest time I didn't realise that the player doesn't actually die at the end of the first episode. So I always thought that Doomguy died, but it didn't stick because he died on the shores of Hell, where the rules of life and death are slightly different. But maybe he stumbled across a medkit in time.

One of the reasons I liked the lore in 2016 was the way in which the Doom Slayer was portrayed as this aeons-old badass could be interpreted as a nod to all the custom mapping that's been done and which is still going strong to this day. *hits blunt* I can just imagine the Doom Slayer being empowered as the collective avatar of every other Doomguy in the multiverse. The Slayer's silent rage an unheard echo of the curses from the uncounted throats of frustrated Doom players across space and time.

Am I misremembering or didn't 2016's lore at one point hint that the Slayer got himself damned to hell so that even if the demons do kill him, he goes back to hell to kick ass?

I can imagine the demons furiously trying to get the Slayer to do good works and help little old ladies across the street so he'll go to heaven instead.

1 hour ago, deepthaw said:

Am I misremembering or didn't 2016's lore at one point hint that the Slayer got himself damned to hell so that even if the demons do kill him, he goes back to hell to kick ass?

I can imagine the demons furiously trying to get the Slayer to do good works and help little old ladies across the street so he'll go to heaven instead.

In the Testaments that can be found in Kadingir Sanctum, it's said that the Slayer is "tainted beyond ascension"; I always interpreted that to mean that by choosing the path of the Slayer, he was barred from entry into whatever passes for Heaven in the Doom universe; although I think it's sufficiently vague and poetic for there to be any number of interpretations.

On 3/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, User Name said:

Yes it's definitely Karl Urban.

Which means he's also Judge Dredd! They both look cool in a helmet. Maybe he spent a few years on the streets of mega city in his eternity of ass-kicking.

I do like the idea of DoomSlayer being the Doomguy, it just adds a little extra something to things.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:01 AM, igg said:

From how I understood the intermission text, Doom Guy does die, but because Episode 2 takes place in Deimos, which has been turned into a part of Hell, Doom Guy respawns in that part of hell then kills more hellspawn

I think they purposefully keep it vague so it fits into both timelines. Doomguy from Doom 64 was stuck in Hell. The Martian was also stuck in Hell.

Something weird about the new lore is that because Doomguy (and Daisy) is like the only thing from the classic version of the series and the universe of the new games is like a different timeline, that means Doom 3, RPG games, Final Doom and more still exist because of the multiverse thing going on.

This means there's still different versions of Doom out there with different lore, visuals and even gameplay.

And whether or not the "all Wads are canon" thing is even there (which would include both mods that try to fit Doom like unofficial sequels and radical/weird stuff), even things like fanmade redesigns would count, since the series itself changed art direction and style with more than one reboot.

This means it won't be that odd if Doom were to get another reboot or experiment with different types of gameplay ideas, designs or even music and whether or not it'd be "more Doom" than the current new Doom would be to debate, since as far as i know, this version of Doom adds a lot of things out of nowhere and goes beyond the scope of Doom, compared to Doom 3.

Something i said a few (or more) times was how Doom felt "experimental at times", even if it'd lead to a scenario of ZeniMax trying to milk Doom in a worst case scenario or add the dumbest shit imagineable, but it also came with how far the series went, most of the concepts and development behind the games and the amount of fanmade content that carried the series for years.

It comes off as "depends on how it's done", effort and passion.

edit: it can also be relevant when Eternal or something brings back an old design or something old like a throwback, but does weird stuff like the Gladiator not bleeding green (when Caco's bleed blue) or the soulsphere just being a solid orb with a face in it instead of an animated sphere with a screaming human face.

Is Doomguy,Doom marine,Doom Slayer the same person? Is his name Stanley Blazkowicz including B.J. Blazkowicz(German Nazi killer polish-american spy roots in Wolfenstein series)?Is Commander Keen cannonical his closer relative?

On 1/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, igg said:

you mean the teleport after the baron fight

1 hour ago, DannyMan said:

Does Doomguy change his hair color?

he has black hair in the new ones so I dont count him as the same guy he also has black hair in doom 3 I think

On 1/6/2022 at 10:58 AM, gwain said:

he has black hair in the new ones so I dont count him as the same guy he also has black hair in doom 3 I think

That's brown, not black.

YKh1ek8mAnKxt5pfeSMAa4b4L9cQOTiwFKfKGo59068.jpg