Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chopkinsca

which should I use, and how

I want to start doom in a window, which source port should I use, and how would I do this?
I don't think Jdoom really wants to work for me..

because, I want to be able to hide it more easily, and the screen is quite big, and something like doom would be quite obvious in full screen..

Baron-Of-Hell said:

Why would you want to hide it?

School anyone?

Heh. I did this at school, bugger schoolwork...

Anyhow, most sourceports nowadays offer a windowed and fullscreen mode.

For a nice (well good) port with a few features, try Doom95. For one with more features and stuff, try ZDoom.

You can play fullscreen, and press the Windows key to hide it.

I tested this with jDoom, Legacy and Zdoom (pre 2.0 v.18). In jDoom, it brings up the taskbar but doesn't hide anything else, while in Legacy it gives you a taskbar and an otherwise blank screen, and the Doom screen pops up again quite easily. In Zdoom, pressing the Windows key hides all Doom aspects perfectly (it just minimizes Zdoom like a normal Windows program), so if that is your no. 1 priority, then I'd recommend Zdoom.

Yet another bizarre reason to prefer one port over another...

Obviously, this depends on you using a keyboard with the Windows key, and also that you haven't disabled or removed the damn thing. :)

Does zdoom freeze the game? I don't have a Windows key on my keyboard, so I use Alt + Esc, which summons the menu just before it minimizes the game (freezing it.) If you do that with doom the window is minimized without the menu, but the game freezes nonetheless because it's DOS. If you minimize prboom in the same fashion the game messes up, it continues to run, and if you maximize it the controls screw up.

It doesn't bring up the menu, but it does pause the game. When you restore the Zdoom window, everything is fine. In terms of the display, it seems that you miss a few gametics, but perhaps you don't miss any in terms of controlling your actions. [I've just tested it by getting imps and cacos to fire at me from some distance, and then pressing the Windows key - when I restored, the fireballs were still in flight.]

The music and sound also stop, which is probably a welcome feature for those who want to hide the fact that they are playing Doom.

What about Alt-Tab? And if you were a keyboarder your finger would most likely be already on at least one of those keys. :)

Haven't tried that, I think. But it should toggle the automap and then immediately minimize.

myk said:

Haven't tried that, I think. But it should toggle the automap and then immediately minimize.

No. When you press Alt+Tab, the combination just minimizes the window.

Zdoom works quite nicely. and it starts off windowed. If it was full screen, people could see easily, and I don't want stupid people coming up and asking me questions or watching.