Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Games that you changed your mind about when replaying

Contra: hard Corps for Genesis. One of the few plataform games that have multiple endings. Replayed it a lot and never get tired of it.

Deadly Premonition Director's Cut: Again, side quest, humor, cluncky controls, oh lord, how i love this game. I always start to rain tears during the climax scene, tears of rage and sadness at the same time. There are not much games that make you feel something soo real.

Eartworm Jim 1 & 2: first one its a classic, humorous and difficult, but the second one, after the first run, it becomes pretty boring and extremelly nonsensical (LEVEL ATE, but what a good music, damm. Tommy Tallarico was a genious!) and even in the first run it is a lot more sloer than the first part.

Cry of Fear: If it wasn't for the big range of unlockeables and different endings, this game surely wouldn't have been soo good. The depressing storyline is not a theme everyone can relate or at least digest without feeling bad, so i found it really good as how it combined the element of silent hill with the resource management of resident evil with the tight controls of Half-Life and moddified to be even better with the sprint and dodge mechanics. Visceral and sophisticated. Excellent and with no equal to this day.

Amnesia: The Dark descent - Even with multiple endings, this game main story becomes pretty unnamuzing after the first try. But the gigantic amount of custom stories for this games really give it a lot of life. There are some custom stories that are far better than the original campaing (The Grat Work, The Key to Freedom, A Coward's Debt, The Trap Door, Amnesia: Rain, etc.)

Pokemon Snap: Its a highly and original concept but the short amount of maps really make it less enjoyable.

J-RPGs: There are a lot of them, but i only replayed 3 in all my life FFVI, Chrono Cross, and Vagrant Story, damm perfect games! Every other J-rpg i played gets boring when you already know who is the big bad (i'm looking at you, Sephirot, i just replayed it sometimes to fell in love again with Aerith.)

Mario games: I don't know why is soo much loved... every games seems like an extension of the first game to me. Ok, they are entertaining but i get tired of the formula pretty quickly. Mario RPGs in the other hand, are pretty innovative and funny.

Sonic games: First 2 are amazing, three is not soo good, and Sonic & Knucles is perfect. I didn't have the chance to try the Sonic Adventure games, but i played Sonic Battle! for GBA and i have a blast with it. Making your own Emerl was and excellent feature.

Metroidvania games: Some have neat replayable features, and some not but they are soo good that even if you know them to the core, you really want to replay it (Guacamelee! SUPER Turbo Championship Edition, Axiom Verge)

Other Old Schools FPS: Duke 3D gets old pretty quickly, the original episodes are good mostly, but after a while it get depressing and Duke gets not soo funny after a little while. The addons are quite good (Life's a Beach is amazing), I hate that there isn't some kind of Chocolate Duke (DukeGDX is somewhat near) as EDuke32 is a heavy PC resources consuming; also the modding community is very smal and there are ton of unfinished and uncomplete mods out there. I still searching for a full episodes replacement that plays well.
Blood is excellent as stand alone, the references and jokes during the original episodes are really neat. The modding community is extremelly original as there are a lot of mods that really goes beyond the original game (DeathWish, Bloodlines).
Shadow Warrior is really funny, but the maps aren't the big deal, so its 50/50 to me, i prefer Blood over it.
Redneck Rampage is interesting and funny, the maps are a mix of really good ones and some boring ones. A little better than Shadow Warrior for me.
Wolf3D: i don't lie, the concept of the game is amazing, but the lack of difference of textures during like 4 or 5 episodes really get me pretty tired me. Jazzmaster Wolf3D mods for Doom are quite amazing and entertaining.
Super 3D Noah's Ark: Extremelly funny and interesting. Quite slaughterish for a children game.

Unreal Tournament.

For years and years, I've been wanting to finish this game because when I bought it on Steam after 7 years of having it on my pc pirated without knowing. (My computer came with Unreal Tournament installed and just when I figured out it was pirated I uninstalled it and bought the original.) I just played for 5 minutes and stopped in 2017. But in early 2019 I installed and played the game again to finish it. After finishing I wanted to play more but multiplayer took too long to install the hundreds of mods on the servers just to get an error and the only campaign didn't interest me in higher difficulties, so after some time I decided to uninstall cause I knew I would play it after the campaign.

Yes.

Mario odyssey, zelda botw and bayonetta 2. Trying to play through them a 2nd time makes me realize just how bad those games actually are. They all pale in comparison to their predecessors and even to some 3rd party games in the same genre. The botw performance issues are especially noticeable on a 2nd playthrough. I'm surprised I tolerated it the first time.

Diablo 3. First time I played it, I was bored as all hell. But after pushing on past the midpoint of Chapter 2 it got....marginally better. That's a bit back-handed I know. It became more of what I'd call fun later, though the first impression was pretty bad. 

Warcraft 3: Loved it when I first played it...until the end of the Undead Campaign, after which the game play's issues just came to the front and it all became super tedious. Same with Starcraft; loved the idea, but couldn't get behind the game. 

(Wow...lot of Blizzard titles there...)

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2. Man, I LOVED this game when I was a kid, and I'm forever grateful that it was made. Sadly, I just cannot play it anymore, between the control issues, rendering oddities, and in general how it runs on modern systems, even with mods. 

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast ALMOST falls into the same category. Amazing and all when it came out, but its gun play does NOT hold up. It is, however, saved by the melee combat. 

I never ever enjoyed any Final Fantasy game until 1999 when my friend had FF VIII and I was watching her play it and I became interested in the draw system the game used for magic and spells. I was watching her play it one day and she finished the first disc and then I went out and bought the game myself and ever since then I've been a fan of the series.

11 hours ago, Jello said:

I'm going through Black Mesa now that Xen is out and "pretty much" done. And the mod does a pretty damn good job at updating it; even if I do have problems with how they redid the H_Grunt AI.

There are some sections of that game that I still absolutely love. Surface Tension and Forget About Freeman come to mind; I also enjoyed Office Complex. But whenever I hit Residue Processing, it just bogs me down. I must've forgotten about that section after the first time I played it back in the late 90's. But I hit that section and I just thought "Oh shit... yeah... this is in the game isn't it?" There's no real puzzles in the section, just a shit load of conveyor belts and an extremely confusing layout, and drops into running water where you can't see anything, but they have a bunch of grinders that are instant death if you touch them. And then you slam into a grate and have to fight against the current to find a ladder to get out. Very few enemies, aside from head crabs sitting just behind a corner when you're going through a tiny tunnel on a conveyor belt. 

Yeah, I still love Half-Life, but Residue Processing really sucks. And it does show it's age, but at least I can still enjoy playing through it again.

Same here with Half-Life, which I first played when the game came out. I love it but there's parts I hate. My favorite parts are Surface Tension and On A Rail. I sometimes replay the game just to go through the On A Rail section.

The tentacle in Blast Pit is something I don't care for on any replay. I get the whole feeling of 'I did this already and I want to skip it".

Fuck the conveyors and shit in Residue Processing. That stuff is just annoying.

And the whole concept of crawling through ducts to get to other places is really silly and overdone.

I need to replay Opposing Force and Blue Shift. I only played Blue Shift once and I forget most of it. Opposing Force I thought was great, but never played it all the way through a 2nd time.

I used to think Sonic was okay, but now I like it more (the original Sonic games for Mega Drive).

I also have differing opinions on NY Gunblade and LA Machineguns from playing them more than once. It's a positive opinion but I'm not sure how positive.

I played Action in NY for NES and I thought the vertical level was much better the second time around. For some reason I was bored the first time I was in that level. This game is good by the way.

Edited by Asking4Id : add more games

Starcraft. When I played it as a kid, it felt like it gave you this rich dynamic battlefield. As a teen, I got really into C&C and Total Annihilation, and when I returned to Starcraft, I began to notice just how static it was. I can't really play Starcraft anymore.

35 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

I need to replay Opposing Force and Blue Shift. I only played Blue Shift once and I forget most of it. Opposing Force I thought was great, but never played it all the way through a 2nd time.

I've never finished Blue Shift. After playing Opposing Force, with all of it's added weapons and enemies and really great design overall, Blue Shift just felt lacking. I should probably try to replay it though.

As for Opposing Force, I've replayed it probably 10 times. It helps that it's pretty short compared to Half-Life, but it has quite a bit more action in it. Less crawling through vents. I'd recommend giving it another go when you have time.

Quake 1: After my first times playing around exploring and discovering the map layout, maybe i played all 4 chapters in 10 hours. Now than i learned some tricks, quircks and speedrunning, im always comming back, but mostly speedrun style. Nowdays playing custom maps for have again that feeling of going slow and appreciate the map.

GTA (Any): My seconds playthrougths always are for that small details or quircks that have the GTA, that if you don't pay atention it's nothing, but maybe can be some cool interaction or scripted stuff that bring more life to that type of sandbox.

I played Project I.G.I. again a few months ago. When I first tried that game I didn't like it at all. Everything seemed too poorly designed (even for an older game). But after booting it up again, I realized why so many people still like it. The mechanics are unique, the game is truly open (thanks to the large maps) and completing a mission is very satisfying, probably because it's very hard.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  

When I first played I thought it was buggy trash.  Many years later I gave it another chance and realized all three games are buggy peices of magnificence.  The sandbox flava, the terror, the ball busting difficulty.   The depressing atmosphere....  it's a serious classic.

On 1/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, jamondemarnatural said:

Quake 1: After my first times playing around exploring and discovering the map layout, maybe i played all 4 chapters in 10 hours. Now than i learned some tricks, quircks and speedrunning, im always comming back, but mostly speedrun style. Nowdays playing custom maps for have again that feeling of going slow and appreciate the map.

Hell yeah, you can't rush art like Honey or AD

Had this moment with Dark Souls 2. Something "clicked" and I understood the game more, enough to finish it and actually enjoy most of the 2nd half. It's rough at first but it's really awesome after Huntsman's Copse.

Not game but rather expansion - SW's Twin Dragon to be precise.

A while ago when I've watched a let's play of it (what? I couldn't be arsed to play it) it seemed extremely poor in terms of gameplay and visuals so as a result I lost all interest in playing it myself at any point. However, going through it recently, I can say I've made a full 180. The amount of detail in its levels is pretty insane, I think its levels are easily the most detailed compared to the base game and Wanton, and the gameplay isn't bad either, although it's far too easy and its maps feel too empty on lower skill levels, lack of challenge is probably its main issue, if anything. It also has very good level progression and flow, and follows the narrative quite well.

Such a waste that SW's expansions fell into obscurity, and two of them were technically never finished (no, Wanton was not finished either, this is why it sometimes feels as if there's no coherent progression between levels and some maps lack noticeably in terms of polish), and Deadly Kiss was lost to the ages. Luckily Voidpoint are working on restoring it, so I hope it'll turn out very good when it'll eventually be ready to see the light, with plenty of new content - there's no way around that, only like 45% of the original content was recovered to my knowledge, so the rest will have to be brand new. And it needs to feel refreshing anyway.