Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

IGN First Look stuff

IGN is apparently doing a "First Look" dealy on Doom Eternal in February, so we have the first video talky segment posted.

DOOM Eternal Doesn't Waste Your Time

In short: they are both very positive about the game and consider it a GOTY contender.

Here's a bad real time machine transcript I made as I watched it:

Spoiler

Our friend Ryan McCaffrey top of the morning and we were just having a chat about Doom Eternal it does look pretty great it's really good it's exactly it's exactly the kind of game I've been missing for a while since 2016 but there just hasn't been a lot of it a lot of this kind of thing yeah and in this kind of thing specifically it is sort of the point that we wanted to touch upon here is so earlier this week swim and I were doing a story about Hugo Martinez quote about how there aren't going to be microtransaction Your transaction in India man in everything or hearing from you and other people who played it it just doesn't seem like there's like very much unnecessary nonsense to stop you from just playing doom and killing defense me about Doom Eternal playing a few hours of it now is that it's it's very knows exactly what it is June 2016 figured out what it was and it has clearly has an identity but it's you know they figured that out obviously over the course of development and once it finally came out and everybody loved it they can kind of see okay great yeah people love this and maybe we could home that and doom Eternal is sort of it is the 2.0 version of the new Doom where they just hit the ground running and there's they're actually there's actually more story and lore Jeremy in Doom Eternal but it's all optional it's only there if you want it so you'll find these floating icons that are there codex entries that you can go in and and read all kinds of crazy lure that's going on you know why the demons are invading and all the stuff and there are some cutscenes that you can skip so it's all there if you want it but if you just want to just keep moving and keep shooting those demons and keep doing those Glory kills that's all you can just there for you the first game did that really well like that a really good balance of how much time you were spending you know tweaking your character and kind of you know diving into the lure of it and all of that stuff is really interesting but the thing that you're playing the game for is the pure adrenaline of combat they do combat so well I can't think of any games that I've played in the last few years that that do that and I think the reason is so many games of Sir of succumbed to this like sort of Ubisoft vacation coming where you know you'll be playing Spider-Man or something and then all the sudden like having a great time you're Spider-Man flying around you got a hundred different ways to take down baddies but they're like I want you to stop and I want you to swing around through a fart cloud for 5 minutes and you're like what is happening here or I want you to sneak around is a Mary Jane one thing we rightfully complained that well this game is just it's monotonous it's OneNote it's repetitive so you know it's what you wanted to stay fresh you want to be doing new and interesting things but Doom Eternal so far again these first few hours of it everything from Doom 2016 just seems to figure it out like it's it's self-focused just providing that good gory heavy metal demon-slaying time but yet it does stay fresh through your leveling up abilities in Doom your leveling up your weapon mods introducing new creative ways to kill to kill demons and fun ways so making it more more difficult little minion so you know that you can farm for either ammo by burning them with the flame belch Accuse Me. Ammo armor or ammo if you chain saw them if you have enough gas in your your chainsaw tank or with the glory kills for hell so it's like you can kind of pick up a little ones like okay well I can save them for when I need some help there some armor some ammo and maybe I want to go after this heavy first demon Prince carrier and you just have to you have to think through how you want to try and do it in survival of the best action games like it like that or like Devil May Cry or something you know they prioritize style yes right like like how long can I extend my combo is ranked this powerful and can I be and you know I think we're at where they go fountain times when they try like too hard to be like too many things to many people and then this this happens you know on both sides of the fence I love RPGs I'm really really really love our Divinity games every Witcher like hundreds of jrpgs but I don't really love it exactly when they try to make the RPGs and action game like Dragon Age 2 I think most people agree with I need a Dragon Age 2 and they clearly didn't spend enough time on the environments in like the RPG of it and maybe a little bit too much time trying to make it an action game that didn't really work and I think the franchise kind of like fell apart a little bit when you take when you take an action game and he started like over RPG it then you start to wonder like am I even having fun or am I wasting a lot of time with his inventory management in a game where I just want to get back out there it's it's the one complaint I really have about Borderlands for example if I love Borderlands but I don't really love that there are billions of guns and only like 30 places to put them dads and we know we've got full-time jobs and families at home so I'm wasted in a game less patience for the the the the last great stuff in the secondary bits in a game like maybe that's part of why I love Doom 2016 and now what I've played in Doom Eternal so much right is that it's it does not waste your time do maternal does not waste your time it just gets right to it hear some demons hear some guns you're going to get better as you go and we're going to throw more and more monsters and end up the challenges you go and you're going to become like you're going to go from like I'm just a kid in training effectively in diapers with it with a with a plasma rifle to a full-on ninja that's going to just wipe out of demonic Monsters by the end of the game and it's if the rest of Doom Eternal follows the blueprint laid out by June 2016 end up those first three hours and feel maternal that I played then then I'll tell you I I mean I don't want to get to Piper bolic but I could easily see Doom Eternal ending up in my personal Game of the Year 2020 wow so far it's so good to see a game be that totally consistent because you know we talked a lot about sort of the crossover between you know video games and and movies and are working all these things but I think movies sort of understand at least the good ones like how to be totally consistent think about you seen drive right and you seen Fast and the Furious can you imagine if I get stopped in the middle of Fast and the Furious and try to be drive for like 40 minutes what the hell is happening you know sometimes you're in the mood for Drive slowly and you want to examine every facial feature every background every image every shot and sometimes you just wanted to be fast and furious and drive that car through house Hobbs and Shaw on the plane ride home from a from a trip I was on last week and it's I knew exactly what I was going to get that was some very tasty buttered popcorn right there real good the immediate product that does the thing that it does really well and in doesn't get distracted is such a rare treat in these days especially when it comes to gaming that excited that but they're kind of sticking to their guns microtransactions outside of purely cosmetic stuff tons of guns and monsters and even there multiplayer mode I'm curious to find out more about this battle mode we'll talk more about that later but to V12 but they but they don't make you stop and go through an open world map light for a moment because I can't carry enough and Jeremy I always love talking to maternal and in fact we've got a lot more very soon hint hint ;-) on IG and they said there's a lot to talk about with this game so stay tuned for more on Doom Eternal from IGN

Honestly,  I see "year one pass" for single player content which is awesome,  but year 1 implies there will be more??

Hopefully we have more control over the engine values on PC!! Mods would be epic too.

It's so obvious that they are regurgitating talking points given to them by the developers/publishers. "It actually has more lore...But it's entirely optional." That's got to be straight from the press packet, as they couldn't possibly know this from a demo.

1 hour ago, TheGamePhilosophe said:

It's so obvious that they are regurgitating talking points given to them by the developers/publishers. "It actually has more lore...But it's entirely optional." That's got to be straight from the press packet, as they couldn't possibly know this from a demo.

They would know because the demo had third-person cutscenes which Doom 2016 didn't feature, giving the impression that there is "more lore" in the game. They point out that the cutscenes are skippable, which is true as seen in some of the gameplay clips, a small "Press R to skip" appears at the bottom of each cutscene for a moment.

So their statement is reasonable to make coming off from the recent press demo. As IGN is doing a special for Doom Eternal, they're of course bound to give more positive press, but I don't think what they said was anything out of the ordinary.

2 hours ago, TheGamePhilosophe said:

While you're probably right, we couldn't possibly know what they've played. 

I'm not really a fan of how much early game stuff they're showing. They should have definitely kept hell a secret like they're keeping heaven a secret. Imagine going into a doom release not knowing what either look like. The thrill of anticipation would be through the roof (altho it's possible we may still not know the extent of variety of the levels that are there in game). I'm gonna try as hard as possible not to watch this. They should have left it at the last trailer and that's it. But it's still cool to see. Would have been much better to see it when I get to play it for the first time

They've only shown two levels, and like, 7 minute clips of each one.

Collectively we have about 15 minutes of footage from an alleged 15+ hour game. I wouldn't worry too much about surprises being spoiled.

So much misinformation here. Not in the video, the video is fine. I mean here, in this very thread. I don't feel like getting into it. 

On 2/1/2020 at 5:06 AM, TheGamePhilosophe said:

The demo has skippable cutscenes, and also the flaming codex entries, also optional. If they played 16, there were barely any cutscenes. However you may also be right as there's a lot of things hugo has said like the game knows its identity as the 2.0 version, that 16 was their testing grounds to see how people would receive a doom universe *and* how its identity was more fleshed out as they neared completion of the game rather than before, etc.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:17 AM, The Civ said:

They've only shown two levels, and like, 7 minute clips of each one.

Collectively we have about 15 minutes of footage from an alleged 15+ hour game. I wouldn't worry too much about surprises being spoiled.

Different channels have shown different 15 minute clips of the two levels being shown (Exultia and Cultist Base) so collectively we can see about 45 minutes of gameplay, across what the devs have stated is a 22+ hour game without secret hunting.

I appreciate the brevity of the intro. It's not as instant as 2016 but it's still less than 3 minutes before the shooting starts. Something I don't like is that Chainsaw tutorial.

aw man, corpses are still disappearing 1 second after they hit the ground hope you can turn this shit off this time around

the environment at the end looks surreal, loving the environmental design from the little i seen of this game 👍

It's interesting you're again called by the mysterious voice. Maybe Hayden was just a chess figure too? He found you but it was someone else who ordered you to rip and tear, who brought you back to life.

And if that's the start of Doom Eternal, I'm pretty sure the timespan between 2016 and Eternal will be one of the DLC.

Also, interesting that the Arachnotron is the first heavy you encounter, unlike how it was the Hell Knight in the last game. Much earlier than last time, too.

This makes my 22LR derringer turn into a Smith and Wesson Model 629 in 44 Magnum. Did anyone notice how vast and consolidated the hellish "infrastructure" is on Earth? The first level appears to be (at least) several months into the invasion of Earth.

Love this a lot. The fortress he's in at the start reminds me so much of some of the original game's Ep 3 in terms of aesthetics. Bit of Doom 64 too.

I will say that I'm not the biggest fan of the Chainsaw tutorial though. Why not just have a zombie in the room you can test it out on? Those tutorial rooms were how the demo at Quakecon 2019 started, but I assumed that they were just for the sake of teaching players everything right there in a short demo, not for the actual game.

to put my own two cents on the tutorials, i'm assuming it's like the tutorials in rage 2. in rage 2 you could turn them off from the main menu, so i wouldn't even doubt that id wouldn't put that in the options, just like doom 2016's tutorials that weren't as in-your-face. =)

1 hour ago, Super Mighty G said:

I appreciate the brevity of the intro. It's not as instant as 2016 but it's still less than 3 minutes before the shooting starts. Something I don't like is that Chainsaw tutorial.

You can probably turn those off like the tutorials in Doom 2016.

1 hour ago, rustygizzard said:

to put my own two cents on the tutorials, i'm assuming it's like the tutorials in rage 2. in rage 2 you could turn them off from the main menu, so i wouldn't even doubt that id wouldn't put that in the options, just like doom 2016's tutorials that weren't as in-your-face. =)

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

You can probably turn those off like the tutorials in Doom 2016.

In that case it's super fine. 

There's a lot of hand holding for ten minutes of gameplay. Is it necessary to stop the game for every new widget? when we can just try them out

1 hour ago, sleepiii said:

No1 noticed the subtle E1M1 playing in the back at the start of the first level?

I just didn't feel like commenting on something very obvious and about which not much can be said besides "yep, that sure is At Doom's Gate". I suppose most people felt the same way.

4 hours ago, igg said:

And if that's the start of Doom Eternal, I'm pretty sure the timespan between 2016 and Eternal will be one of the DLC.

Kinda hope there is something that explains how you get from being sent to some random place in Hell at the end of 2016 and just then being in your brand-new Fortress Of Doooooom ancient runic magical spaceship in orbit above the Earth. The roleplayer in me would want this kind of things to be "earned" during the game. Just start in Hell without your weapons because Hayden is an asshole, slaughter your way back, stumble upon a portal to the old sentinel world, find the ancient sentinel deathstar, reclaim it, and then warp to Earth with it.

I don't think Hayden sent the Doom Slayer to Hell, since they spent the game searching for (explosive) power sources to get over there repeatedly: an Argent Accumulator by Olivia for the first time, and then again but by the Cyberdemon for the second time, and then dismantling VEGA for the third time. And it didn't seem an Argent Accumulator was ripped at the end when Hayden sends the Slayer away.

I think it's possible at the end of 2016 that Hayden sent the Slayer to the Fortress of Doom at some remote location as a backup plan for later, which he's already done before by taking the Slayer's sarcophagus onto Mars as a backup plan before the events of Doom 2016. Maybe the Doom Slayer spent the next two years using the Fortress to hunt down demons across various worlds, getting a new suit to rid of Hayden's tether, and installing VEGA onto it.

Might also explain how VEGA can interact with the Fortress' systems, as Hayden may have acquired and prepared it beforehand as a place to put the Slayer away when his mission was done. Alternatively, I recall VEGA's codex entry in 2016 mentioned how it was rumored that VEGA's core may have been based on some artifacts near the Argent Fracture on Mars. With Eternal's Mars Core demo, it seems the Sentinels may have previously visited Mars (with the ancient ruins beneath the surface and a slipgate to Sentinel Prime), so that could also be a reason why VEGA can interact with the Fortress of Doom.