Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

IGN First Look stuff

On the design of the Makyrs/angels, I get the feeling if they weren't cyborgs their design would be being criticised as cartoony.

Looking at the tiny snippets of lore we got to see, apparently the Gargoyles are demonified wildlife from Sentinel Prime. I'm not sure how I feel about this. One one hand, I do like the idea that the demons occasionally run into aliens that they really like and permanently recruit as demons. On the other hand I have a bad feeling that we're going to get a very underwhelming origin story for the demons tied into the Night Sentinels.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Speaking of aliens, at 1:15 in the weapon mod video we see the codex on Urdak, home of the Maykr, and there's that bit about "multiple pan-galactic religions". It's clearly implying that, other than the ongoing demonic invasion, the setting is full-on space opera. For there to call things "multiple pan-galactic religions", you need to have explored nearly the whole galaxy, and encountered many alien civilization, and studied their religions.

So this means that the Doom series will be headed in a similar direction as the Doom novels?

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Speaking of aliens, at 1:15 in the weapon mod video we see the codex on Urdak, home of the Maykr, and there's that bit about "multiple pan-galactic religions". It's clearly implying that, other than the ongoing demonic invasion, the setting is full-on space opera. For there to call things "multiple pan-galactic religions", you need to have explored nearly the whole galaxy, and encountered many alien civilization, and studied their religions.

Which is weird. I don't think this kind of things really fits Doom. It's one thing to have an ancient, extinct civilization on Mars, or to have alternate Earths in parallel dimensions, but going all Master of Orion feels very different from those.

There's also an entry on the Gargoyles that say they are native to the Sentinel homeworld.

One of my theories is that each "demon" is just a corrupted animal/species from a world taken over by the Makyrs. 

Just like there are unwilling, possessed and human demon soldiers, so most demons are taken from a real-universe example and converted to serve Hell.

Not all of them, as the Arachnatron is created from genetic samples of a dead Spider Mastermind according to the new lore.

7 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Someone would make an arguement about how the Archvile itself looks alien

The original Arch-vile model actually does look like an alien.jch9u6np5rlyyfuybms1.jpg.7a18a5c51e5cbc710bfb9081408b779d.jpg

20 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

So this means that the Doom series will be headed in a similar direction as the Doom novels?

I thought of the novels and the 2005 movie when i thought some of the codex entries were too "alien" like the Hell Razer parasite bit for example.

Sometimes i wonder how most people would think of concepts like the Mayrks and Night Sentinel if they were in Doom novels instead of the games.

Or even in a different series.

I feel like i'd tie the NS knights to Doom's Heaven, so there's knights that serve under god or something instead of making a new theme.

I feel like expanding existing dimensions/settings instead of coming up with new ones could be a safer choice and fit how something like classic Hell felt so versatile, while the one major new world is Heaven and much like old school Inferno, it's its own mix of ideas and elements.

Like a good mix of sci-fi/fantasy then christian/religious/mythous whatever done well because i can see some issue with trying to make things "too faithfull".

Maybe the craziest thing that could happen is if id gets someone to make another official classic Doom episode that actually executes this "classic Doom Heaven" concept and has a lot of textures and sprites to the point it even has its own key variants. (so it becomes a bigger theme that feels like it'd fit vanilla Doom)

Like another 30 mapset episode like Final Doom, but with some "reverse" effect of featuring Heaven stuff and it even has angels, flying rings, cherubs, Kahn Maykr, maybe something to do with lions or centaurs and i dunno, a "Jesus mech" where the Heaven equivalent of a Cyberdemon is a robotic/stone golem like boss that resembles Jesus wearing some mech suit that shoots cross shaped rockets.

Basically, an episode where instead of Hell it's Heaven and its "story" is most angels were either corrupted or turned evil and the intermission texts are written in some humorous way and end by saying that "Jesus thanks you for saving this place, now get out because we have to clean this mess".

And not only does it have "Heaven" versions of textures, props, some level architecture/geometry, items, even songs etc some enemies play like some demons.

This sounds like fanfiction i know.

I wonder if id even thought of Heaven being executed in other version of Doom, since the series itself changed art styles.

I'm also not much into UAC developing demon types because that sort of affects Hell's independency and makes it not so much of a main villain force.

I feel like just focusing on new gameplay ideas, designs, aesthetics or even story bits like launching yourself from a rail gun in floating pieces of Mars or Titans carrying temples is already a good way to expand Doom's universe.

I'm also surprised we haven't seen levels themed after the 9 circles of Hell or the 7 deadly sins or even some more "supernatural" lore like "this demon represents this sin and is also a projection of certain nightmares".

Something that could make the lore better is making Hell sound stronger and scarier, even to ridiculous levels.

We can't deny the passion and effort into this lore, but sometimes it feels like part of some trend of someone thinking every piece of media needs "deep lore" regardless of how its done, what kind of series it's applied or even who's making it and for who.

Maybe id just got too carried away with some ideas and it's weird that Doom has a focus on lore while Fallout's world building is treated like nothing.

It'd also suck if it turns out not wanting to cause controversy or playing safe is why Heaven doesn't look like a Heaven that much or some references are safe, despite the series' DNA and history, along with a mormon level designer in said series not caring much about the demons because "they're cartoons plus you shoot them".

It'd be like if the "censored"/"alternative" stuff in Wolfenstein that hides Swastikas and mentions of Hitler became the norm of that series.

Again it'd keep the tech/Maykr stuff but it should be a portion of it instead of 100% Heaven or "Urdak".

Someone could also argue that the Hell aspect of the series is why the lack of a story works because besides unusual monster types and how levels look, it's still Hell even if it's also Doom's version of it.

15 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

The original Arch-vile model actually does look like an alien.

I also know he's supposed to have mouth tubes, no?

It's funny because Tom Hall's original plan for Doom was space opera, what with the fictional planet of Tei Tenga in some extrasolar system. This was tossed away to restrict the action to the solar system -- Mars and its moons, that requires lower-level tech than interstellar travel. And they've kept this reduced space scale, added an energy crisis, and yet there are still extrasolar travels.

Another new video:

Nothing too new, but we do see glory kills of the Marauder and Doomhunter, seemingly that we will fight multiple of these guys rather than the same one throughout the campaign.

Edited by Hunting4r2d2

Some cool new glory kills there. Love how he just straight Sub-Zero's the Prowler at 1:40ish.
The glory kills on the Tyrant seem to be quite long, but I like that for such a high-level enemy.

Also, a little thing I noticed from the weapons video:
image.png.48fa48b12a3b50c0e969e19ee19d3536.png

Dr. Samuel Hayden recently deployed the weapon to Phobos

The BFG-9000 is most likely located on the Mars Core level.

33 minutes ago, Urdak5891 said:

The skin used for the glory kills is a non armored one... og doomguy?

Nice catch. Sure is.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 11.27.28 AM.crushed.jpg

Jeeze with these spoilers in the last few months who needs to buy the game?

18 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

This implies that anyone here is playing Doom for plot. 

As interesting as the story in some Doom's are (Doom 3, maybe the RPG's) ...aren't we mostly grabbing it to murder the living fuck out of everything in Hell?

The Cyberdemon has a cyberskull.

Sounds cool but also inconsistent with some textures that had cyberdemon like skulls in doors but whatever.

Considering the multiple Cybies, Marauder and Doomhunter, this might be the "master level" but i hope multiple Cyberdemons, Marauders and DH's is still a possibility in the base game.

Same for the Gladiator.

How to make the bad guys stronger: whatever boss or major enemy exists, let there be more than one.

3 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

This implies that anyone here is playing Doom for plot. 

As interesting as the story in some Doom's are (Doom 3, maybe the RPG's) ...aren't we mostly grabbing it to murder the living fuck out of everything in Hell?

not just the story but the weapons, enemy designs, settings  everything. i feel like ive seen almost the whole game I never even played it.

51 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

not just the story but the weapons, enemy designs, settings  everything. i feel like ive seen almost the whole game I never even played it.

Fair enough. Personally don't feel like it's diminishing my excitement, but I can see where you're coming from. 

One thing I do wish they'd show is how exactly the sword mechanics work, but I suppose they are leaving that out on purpose. 

Also fairly certain that there are yet some environments and monsters we haven't seen. 

1 hour ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I'm also worried about that. If I remember correctly id Software regretted showing too much of Quake 2 before it's launch. That's why I don't understand why they give us so much information in advance. 

On the other side Doom Eternal seems to be huge. I hope it's huge enough for surprises and exploration. 

2 minutes ago, igg said:

On the other side Doom Eternal seems to be huge. I hope it's huge enough for surprises and exploration. 

This right here. I'm confident we're being shows so much cool stuff because there's A LOT more waiting for us when the game actually drops.

On the topic of Scifi v Supernatural Hell. I know the demons always had blood and guts and could be cybernetically enhanced, but it does seem like Doom 2016 leaned more Scifi.

I think the middle ground is that the biological aspects of Hell are just corrupted races; like how humans become zombies. Hell is definitely a supernatural force, but it enlists and corrupts mortal races to do its bidding.

I’m guessing we haven't seen real Hell because it has been so successful at integrating and corrupting other worlds/dimensions. I would like to see a “true” demon someday, like more of a spiritual entity.

Also, Metro’s interview with Marty Stratton does seem to quell some fears:

GC: One issue with being a sequel is that there seems to be a lot more lore in this game. Is there not a danger that after so many years with no real story, that suddenly introducing one can interfere with people’s head canon? I always imagined it as a straight-up Christian version of Hell. Like that was the joke, that you were taking on these purely supernatural forces with a shotgun. But when you start saying some of them are these sort of sci-f monsters…

MS: Oh, it’s absolutely Hell. These are not sci-fi monsters. They’re demons from Hell. Like it’s… that’s pretty straightforward. I think we play a little bit more with some of the things like the Sentinel lore, what Heaven is, how that fits into the belief systems. It’s all very tongue in cheek. It’s all very fun. And honestly it’s only there if you want to dive in and do more with it and explore it, engage with it. None of it at all takes itself too seriously.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom-eternal-preview-interview-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/

Although, there seems to be some irony that Heaven or this part of Heaven is less supernatural.

Ok, so I noticed something interesting as Doomguy is... helping the Marauder lay down for some rest:

217941718_Marauderwolf.png.038fe1e8a90336a77b9e88177073b7d7.png

If you look to his left, you can see what appears to be a fiery wolf, similar to the green ones in the sentinel homeworld. To me, this could either be: a. an entirely new enemy, or b. an entity summoned by the Marauder.

Can anybody tell what the enemy at 38 seconds is? I at first thought it was another unwilling, but the armor and flesh indentations make it clear it's something else. It's also hard to tell, since he's killing it from behind, and seems to spend an extra amount of time and effort than he does on most glory kills.

Screenshot_20200207-173139_Samsung Internet.jpg

57 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Can anybody tell what the enemy at 38 seconds is? I at first thought it was another unwilling, but the armor and flesh indentations make it clear it's something else. It's also hard to tell, since he's killing it from behind, and seems to spend an extra amount of time and effort than he does on most glory kills.

It's the Doomhunter, you can see his mechanical eye.

9 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Screenshot_20200207-173139_Samsung Internet.jpg

Doomhunter sub/boss

15 hours ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

They've really shown us nothing yet. If anything i have more questions than before now! Yikes. Even weapons, enemies, environments, lore ... just a drop in the ocean is what we have seen

18 hours ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

Ok, so I noticed something interesting as Doomguy is... helping the Marauder lay down for some rest:

If you look to his left, you can see what appears to be a fiery wolf, similar to the green ones in the sentinel homeworld. To me, this could either be: a. an entirely new enemy, or b. an entity summoned by the Marauder.

What is this from??

EDIT: just saw the ign clip. Holy hell those Tyrant glory kills just sent hype levels even higher through the roof

Edited by Heejyhorang

23 minutes ago, Heejyhorang said:

What is this from??

EDIT: just saw the ign clip. Holy hell those Tyrant glory kills just sent hype levels even higher through the roof

They are very violent too. Really brutal glory kills on the tyrant

On 2/7/2020 at 8:53 PM, Urdak5891 said:

The skin used for the glory kills is a non armored one... og doomguy?

Yup. I was sure the hands model won't change when you equip the og suit. Nice to see that iD went the extra mile!

11 minutes ago, Enforcer said:

Yup. I was sure the hands model won't change when you equip the og suit. Nice to see that iD went the extra mile!

It's not too surprising considering armor customization in DOOM 2016 multiplayer and SnapMap affects the viewmodel as well.

Actually, the more i think about a Doom Heaven having similarities/differences to classic Hell, i wonder if Eternal could have its version of Wolfenstein TNC's Wolfstone 3D, where you play as a demon or the Marauder and fight against the UAC and Sentinel.

21 hours ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

If it was an enemy, i wonder what its attacks could be to set apart from a Pinky, Hellknight or a zombie.

I wonder if id thought of bringing back the Doom RPG Hellhounds or even a multiple head Cerberus like that cut one from Doom 64.

I also wonder if bosses having multiple glory kills means they can "revive" as an excuse to come back to a later level.