Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MODSKILLTHISACCOUNTNOW

Which sourceport is the best for playing Thy Flesh Consumed?

It's the first two levels that are hard. (the first being even more so imho)
Regarding the sourceport I'd say: "Whatever you like best."

Maybe some extra features in (g)zdoom like freelook and being able to jump will make it easier for you.

By the way: On what difficulty setting are you playing? There's no shame in gowing for a lower one. You don't have to complete everything on Ultra Violence on the first try.

Just now, Stocki said:

It's the first two levels that are hard. (the first being even more so imho)
Regarding the sourceport I'd say: "Whatever you like best."

Maybe some extra features in (g)zdoom like freelook and being able to jump will make it easier for you.

By the way: On what difficulty setting are you playing? There's no shame in gowing for a lower one. You don't have to complete everything on Ultra Violence on the first try.

I play on HMP. And the freelook and jump ruins the classic experience.

2 minutes ago, Stocki said:

freelook and being able to jump will make it easier for you.

NO NO NO. Please don't do this kind of things. The maps are not meant to be played like that as these things can destroy the intended map progression.

10 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

NO NO NO. Please don't do this kind of things. The maps are not meant to be played like that as these things can destroy the intended map progression.

Yeah that's true. It might break some maps.

All in all I'd say it is not a question of the sourceport, especially if you don't want to disturb the classic experience. Just lower the difficulty.

All else being equal, the port shouldn't affect the difficulty of Doom's episode 4. Ports can matter in certain community wads if the ports have wildly varying default settings that you stick to, but Thy Flesh Consumed iirc doesn't have the sort of design where they make a substantial difference. 

Also, being acclimated to a port's gamefeel becomes increasingly important as you approach the upper end of difficulty you can handle. If you change, you'll be temporarily putting yourself in unfamiliar territory. Not ideal if your only goal is to make a wad easier. 

One thing I'd recommend is turning off mouse accel, if it's on, in your computer's settings -- that is, if you aren't purposefully and knowingly using accel. Then readjust in-game mouse sens to what feels right. Most people find it somewhat easier to aim and control the player without accel. 

Edited by rdwpa

I can't exactly say which source port you should use as it is a subjective thing, and absolutely does not change the difficulty of what you play as well. I can recommend some ports to you though.

Ifyou want a nice and simple port to use with the best look and feel, go for GZDoom. If you want the most compatible source port possible and the ability to record demos, I recommend PRBoom+.

If you want a more classic look and feel of Doom, I would use Crispy Doom; and if you are looking for the ULTIMATE classic Doom experience, Chocolate Doom is the one for you! I hope this helps. :)

19 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

I can't exactly say which source port you should use as it is a subjective thing, and absolutely does not change the difficulty of what you play as well. I can recommend some ports to you though.

Ifyou want a nice and simple port to use with the best look and feel, go for GZDoom. If you want the most compatible source port possible and the ability to record demos, I recommend PRBoom+.

If you want a more classic look and feel of Doom, I would use Crispy Doom; and if you are looking for the ULTIMATE classic Doom experience, Chocolate Doom is the one for you! I hope this helps. :)

and if you are looking for the most ultimate vanilla 1995 way to play, get an old 90's computer with dos installed, a crt screen, and finally an original physical copy of ultimate doom

Any source port should work for "Thy Flesh Consumed". Since that episode came out after Doom II it is harder than the first three episodes of Doom (basically registered Doom). Don't feel bad that just because you can beat EP's 1-3 of Doom on a certain difficulty (such as HMP) that you can't beat EP4 on that same difficulty level. The jump from EP 1-3 to EP4 is a little extreme if playing through The Ultimate Doom for your first time imo. It doesn't help that the first few maps of "Thy Flesh Consumed" aren't the easiest of the bunch either. 

I'd recommend to go down one difficulty level (in this case to HNTR) and then play "Thy Flesh Consumed" a bit on that difficulty until you at least learn the layout of the maps a bit. I know that the enemy placements might be different and/or missing but learning the maps a bit will still help some when it comes time to "step it up" ;)

I know this post won't help much with your source port issue but i hope it helps you a little with having fun and getting better at playing EP4 of The Ultimate Doom :)

EDIT: Might help. Might not. I personally use GZDoom in software render and when i'm playing vanilla maps i set the compatibility level to "Doom (Strict)". I still play in 1920x1080 though. I'll use Crispy Doom or PrBoom+ sometimes as well for Boom maps or maps that are really old and don't work properly in GZDoom.

Use whichever port you're most comfortable with; these levels are playable on any.

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

You know you can destroy the intended map progression in purely vanilla ways, too?

1 hour ago, Gez said:

You know you can destroy the intended map progression in purely vanilla ways, too?

Yeah I know. But the player actually has to put some effort to do it. With jumping, no effort is required.

7 hours ago, Stocki said:

I agree with you, modern ports are a good choice. Well unless you want to play it the purist-friendly way.

You can play in a purist-friendly way in GZDoom. Unless you want all the bugs, too.

I like crispy doom for ep 4, gets the good looks of the old doom with at least some more modern control schemes.

4 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Doom Legacy 1.41

Please don't troll people like this. Someone might want to check it out.

3 minutes ago, Master O said:

Fightcade!  (joking)

Have you tried Chocolate Doom?  https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

He finds the episode hard and you suggest the most hardcore  and low resolution port for him to play on? Which also has all the original bugs, like blockmap bug and even save limit bug?

One with a custom mapinfo to put a map before E4M1 so you can pick up a little bit of extra ammo before it on UV.   Or make episode 3 play right into without going back to pistol start, but that may be too easy.

Enjoyment = Improved.

On 2/1/2020 at 6:38 AM, ReaperAA said:

There's a map in plutonia that right off the bat you can jump to a switch and win

If people have fun playing that way all the power to them

@fluddsskark Any port that enables jumping and freelook, or mods if you use those, will make the game easier.  Vanilla -style ports won't, by virtue of them being vanilla-ish. 

Aesthetically, I recommend doomretro; it has only one singular enhancement I can think of that'd make life easier than original vanilla: an option to disable infinite tall.  Otherwise, keep trying lower difficulties, you'll get good in no time :)

On 2/1/2020 at 11:34 AM, fluddsskark said:

And the freelook and jump ruins the classic experience.

You know that you're not forced to use these features, don't you?

Actually, any port with vanilla physics should do if you're worried about difficulty, since it will allow you to grab the red key through the wall on the first level ;)

As long as it gets rid of bugs, the source port shouldn't really matter.

Ignore the NIN room in the first level. The barons are purely optional and are a massive ammo dump if you go for 100% kills

If you want to kill them, it requires extreme ammo management and squeezing out the maximum possible value out of the few rockets in the first level.

E4 is probably the only case in Doom where I regularly start the second level in an episode at a worse state than if I pistol-started it.

6 hours ago, Wagi said:

Actually, any port with vanilla physics should do if you're worried about difficulty, since it will allow you to grab the red key through the wall on the first level ;)

Hey, that is not the canon way Doomguy beat that map!