Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kinker31

NUTS: Heretic Edition! [aka: D'Sparil Really Hates You]

You've asked for this.

After a few hours of development, debugging, lagging, and goofing around in SLADE comes the sequel to "NUTS: Chex Quest Edition!" the Heretic community never needed or wanted.

HERETIC: D'SPARIL MUST REALLY FUCKIN' HATE YOU OR SOMETHING!

Story [Taken Directly from the TXT]:

As the name implies, D'Sparil REALLY fuckin' hates you, and has gathered an utterly gargantuan fuckton of his forces and minions to take you down. And you will probably die. What did you even do to piss him off that bad, anyways!? Fart in his Chili?

Download the Abomination Here!

UPDATE: Fixed broken Teleporter(s) in 2nd room, if you even got that far.

Oh, and Screenshot:

oh_god_why.png.62a78ebbc7f3553d57b4d38701a2664e.png

Edited by kinker31 : version update

3 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Not with that uncropped that meme of yours, you won't!

Now get back there and fry that GPU of yours some more! or crop your meme, whatever works first

heretic_NUTS.wad may be a cursed dumpster fire, but when have any of us backed down from a horrible idea?

UPDATE: Meme has been cropped, I will accept that as payment

1 minute ago, kinker31 said:

Not with that uncropped that meme of yours, you won't!

Now get back there and fry that GPU of yours some more! or crop your meme, whatever works first

heretic_NUTS.wad may be a cursed dumpster fire, but when have any of us backed down from a horrible idea?

I did? But I guess I wasn't fast enough. :(

Well, I gotta play it now, ey? Me and the GPU on a journey through clusterfuckville.

WOW, that was quick. Good job.

Spoiler

Now go make one for Hexen as well. (joking ofc)

EDIT: On a slightly serious note, maybe you should remove the mapinfo/episode stuff so that it can be played on ports like Eternity Engine or Crispy Heretic.

Edited by ReaperAA

9 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Tried the WAD out, and here's my thoughts.

The first part of the level is very square, which while not entirely a bad thing, does leave a bit to be desired when going to the first monster fuckfest.

Ammo was in plenty stock, always a good thing, but it seems the author only really put actual ammo in the first room and didn't really try to put the dynamic grid to good use, leaving a rather rudimentary level when you boil it down.

The Power Rangers references, while it does remind the player "Hey, this is a jokewad, if you hated this it's your own dang fault"... doesn't make a lot of sense to the setting of Heretic. The level really should've been called "The Elven Sidhe Necro-Gauntlets Massacre", but I don't suppose it rolls off the tounge as well, does it?

There's only about 5.5K monsters in the whole level, which while it did cause a bit of lag, it was still very much playable... maybe that's actually a good thing, come to think of it. ...Well, Maybe; it's a subjective thing.

Also, I think the author forgot to put in the blue key, as I wasn't able to find it anywhere within the level. I had to noclip just to beat the darned level, and that was mostly because I may have been too lazy to look up the actor for the blue key.

Overall, it was pretty okay.

I've been wondering whether a Hexen version of this sort of thing might even be interesting: the Mage's Sapphire Wand pierces enemies and thus has no upper limit to the damage it can do if you get enough enemies in a line.

🤔 But then I realized: Dragon Claw + Tome Of Power does that too, and then some.

*reluctantly downloads, for science*

[Update] A few enemies (gargoyles, weredragons) stuck in the western part of the northern wall in the first section. For the rest, Tomed Claw does indeed make easy work of the crowd, then wanding down the gargoyles that escaped its effect, because it's not really Heretic without shooting at gargoyles with the wand. (Also not Heretic when it's running at less than a frame per second, but this gets an exemption. 😖)

Edited by Rainne

4 hours ago, kinker31 said:

There's only about 5.5K monsters in the whole level, which while it did cause a bit of lag, it was still very much playable... maybe that's actually a good thing, come to think of it. ...Well, Maybe; it's a subjective thing.

Maybe NUTS: Heretic Edition could have lower monster count as well (not more than about 5k monsters) so that it could be playable. I understand it kinda goes against the spirit of "NUTS" (well Nuts 2 for Doom only had about 4k monsters) but I would actually love to have a playable map.

This is actually pretty playable (framerate notwithstanding). Use the Dragon Claw with the Tome Of Power: it launches "ripper" projectiles from the impact point, which radiate out and pierce through enemies, so its damage output scales along with the size of the horde rather than being linear. It is very effective here. Plus you can bring your powerups with you; stay invincible (the rings) and fly when needed (wings) and you'll be fine. In fact the biggest challenge thus far is keeping the Dragon Claw supplied with ammo! Eventually I used up all the Claw ammo at the start, but fortunately apparently a lot of enemies in the second area (liches/maulotaurs/Dsparils) drop them, so I can run around and keep it full.

Made it to around 22k kills before I was a little too slow on the draw to refresh my invincibility. (It can take a few seconds just to get to it because the framerate is so low you don't get much feedback on which item you've selected.) Otherwise it was going just fine. 😤

Also at some point in the second area, everything just died all of a sudden? 😕 Dunno if that's a bug or intentional or what. The Dsparils all just respawned without their mounts though, so it wasn't over yet.

14 hours ago, Rainne said:

This is actually pretty playable (framerate notwithstanding). Use the Dragon Claw with the Tome Of Power: it launches "ripper" projectiles from the impact point, which radiate out and pierce through enemies, so its damage output scales along with the size of the horde rather than being linear. [...] In fact the biggest challenge thus far is keeping the Dragon Claw supplied with ammo!

Huh, didn't know the ToP!Dragonclaw could do that. (Well, I sorta did, didn't watch much of the Dwars video talking about it that much) So really, the only thing keeping you from beating the level is your GPU being turned into mashed potatoes. Well, the original NTUS.wad did include plenty of ammo for the BFG, so I suppose this isn't violating the general concept of NUTS too much.

14 hours ago, Rainne said:

Also at some point in the second area, everything just died all of a sudden?

That wasn't supposed to be intended, but I think infighting may have happened in that second room, and I think the utter fuckton of Malotaurs had to do with everyone in the second room suddenly committing not alive, depends if it all happened in an instant, or if it was more of a giant wave on infight-induced death.

14 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Maybe NUTS: Heretic Edition could have lower monster count as well (not more than about 5k monsters) so that it could be playable. I understand it kinda goes against the spirit of "NUTS" (well Nuts 2 for Doom only had about 4k monsters) but I would actually love to have a playable map.

I tried out the map again on the most recent version of GZDoom, and turns out the Vulkan renderer can actually do a pretty good job of rendering 10K+ monsters.

I probably could release an alternate compatible/not-as-much-fuckery version of the map though if there's enough demand for it, though.

Just now, kinker31 said:

I tried out the map again on the most recent version of GZDoom, and turns out the Vulkan renderer can actually do a pretty good job of rendering 10K+ monsters.

I probably could release an alternate compatible/not-as-much-fuckery version of the map though if there's enough demand for it, though.

The GPU rendering is not the problem. Its the CPU that can't handle the huge monster count without slowing to a crawl (Vulkan cannot fix that). A version with about 4k to 5k monsters would be much less taxing on the CPU.

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

The GPU rendering is not the problem. Its the CPU that can't handle the huge monster count without slowing to a crawl (Vulkan cannot fix that). A version with about 4k to 5k monsters would be much less taxing on the CPU.

Well, I technically said said that Vulkan could render the monsters, not all the other stuff the monsters could do. But yeah, maybe reducing the monster count would probably be a good move. I'll probably do that as an alt-wad at some point.

Anytime I kill a D'sparil that's knocked off its serpent the game crashes.

This can be replicated when i do "kill monsters" then "kill monsters" again after the on-foot D'Sparils appear. Even killing just one of them crashes the game.

gzdoom-4-2-4a-Windows-64bit

hardware renderer (tried with and without vulcan)

I do get over 1 fps when I turn off brightmaps and dynamic lights, so that's a plus

Anytime I kill a D'sparil that's knocked off its serpent the game crashes.

This can be replicated when i do "kill monsters" then "kill monsters" again after the on-foot D'Sparils appear. Even killing just one of them crashes the game.

That's odd, I never really got that error when I ran the WAD with GZDoom 4.3.3, but then again I never really managed to get past the first room and I never actually went to go check if killing the non-mount D'sparil actually crashed the game.

I'm not sure if this is a bug on my part or GZDoom's part, since trying to look it up on Google only results in unrelated news articles.

Give it a try opening the console and do "kill monsters", close console and wait about 10 seconds, do "kill monsters" again.

edit: also I want to make sure it's known i cheated my way through, I didn't actually beat your level lol

lSA3qUc.png

For some reason (I presume rendering) every time my invuln started running down, it started lagging again. I didn't clear the final room because it was just too much (Same as the original nuts). Unlike the original nuts, I think this one may in fact be doable. My strat for the final room was get a bit of infighting going (Kill the iron lich horde) then lure the maulotaurs away from the exit switch and rush over with the wings.

I liked it.

Edit: Forgot about the D'Sparil effect. So I replayed it.

jfc8rVG.png

The only downside is I forgot how fucking annoying D'sparil is to kill.

Edited by Magicana

Slightly disappointed that you can't run this in a Boom-compatible source port, because GZDoom is shit at rendering things like this(original nuts.wad lagged terribly on GZ but runs at a smooth FPS on PrBoom+ or Eternity Engine) 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:32 PM, JustANormie said:

Slightly disappointed that you can't run this in a Boom-compatible source port, because GZDoom is shit at rendering things like this. (Original nuts.wad lagged terribly on GZ but runs at a smooth FPS on PrBoom+ or Eternity Engine) 

Well, technically there is Crispy Heretic, but good luck trying to actually get every sprite in the first room to render at once, let alone the shitstorm that can only await poor Corvus on the second room.

Yeah I think DSDA-Doom could probably handle this with a little bit of modification (like changing the Mapinfo). It would be nice to see this run on a port that doesn't turn into a slideshow.