Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eharper256

Walpurgis- 0.99 (For Doom, Heretic, Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Did a quick test of the mod, holy moly it's good. Looking forward to the rest of the weapon upgrades getting finished.

The Druid bow is something else though. Slows down time and mutes the music? Might be a little janky and stuttery but damn it works well. Very clever stuff!

Mad props for getting it working across three games though, maybe I'll actually play through and finish Heretic for once, haha.

Thanks for checking it out!

Druid upgrades are already partly done and should be ready for the 0.93 release. Not sure about when the Ultimate weapons will get upgrades though, but certainly for the 1.0 version.

Yeah, I'm quite proud about 'sniper mode' on the Ichival; its inspired by the time-slow that happens when you're an expert sniper in Mass Effect II.

It abuses a little snag in how time stop powerups work in GZDoom. Because its a hacky bit of coding, it can occasionally have a bit of jank as you can tell (because it causes the 'clock' on the player and the arrow fired to go slightly out of sync, which I can't fix due to how the Doom engine treats odd and even seconds- the same thing that causes Revenant Missiles to not be homing sometimes) but still works pretty well overall.

Funny you mention Heretic, I also didn't complete it until I did so with my own mod to test out how well it worked (lol).

I thought this was great fun and i loved burning the shit out of everything!

Thanks for checking it out!

The Palpatine monologue when you discovered Daedolon's Lightning was quite appropriate (haha).

Which Font do people prefer?
lOYPYGu.png

I've recently created the right hand one myself (Fantastic Witch), and the current one is (GargoyleWing) by Jimmy, but I like them both and can't decide! Let me know what you guys think!

If it was something like HUD, or UI elements, yes I could, because the font is determined in the individual script in that case and can have a CVAR option as well as SetFont ACS calls.

But the primary BIGFONT doesn't have this versatility. It has to be an intercept since it is defined directly in the GZDoom exe. I think I could vary it between menu's but not offer a one or the other choice based on player input. Its the same reason you also cannot change the options menu font at all.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:29 PM, eharper256 said:

Which Font do people prefer?

Both are really nice. I think I like the left one slightly more.

Two more votes to keep GargoyleWing. I'll note it. I also decided to make a Strawpoll here in case you prefer to vote that way.

And here's something else I've been working on today:
xS004q1.png
It's called Dagon's Cane

This will be the Slot 2 extra weapon for the Druid, in case you're not feeling like transforming into a Warg today.

As you might imagine with its red coral head, it will manipulate water, with stuff like geysers and wave-blasts planned.

The sprite still needs a bit of work (not sure how that white line got in there) but its looking pretty good for a first draft. I was umming and arring about what the alternate slot 2 weapon for the Druid would be for quite some time, with various ideas bouncing around in my head which were cool but impractical to code into Doom. I settled eventually (last week) on some kind of water powers, as I both don't have any of that yet, it fits the Druid manipulating just natural forces, and there are ideas for attack modes that I can actually code (probably).

Then I just thought 'what sort of implement would a magic user from R'lyeh use?', and this sprite just came into being (looking at images of coral and some mythos images for reference- google image search has surely flagged me as insane by now lol). Surely its absolutely safe for Illitheya to be waving it around (lol).

I prefere the font on the left due to the fact that the text is more bulky and more readable. 

Edited by Mangudai

3 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Yes.

I'll take that as being a vote for both, lol.

4 hours ago, Mangudai said:

I prefere the font on the left due to the fact that the text is more bulky and more readable. 

Madness, its calligraphy, you're not supposed to be able to read it. LOL. Adding your vote, and yeah that's a fair reason.

In fact I thought to ask you to actually make your right font bulkier too, just as an experiment. But due to the fact that so many people already voted for left and that I don't want to make you feel like wasting time, I didn't do it.

But I'm still curious :P

Keep in mind we've also got votes on the ZDoom forums to take into account. The new one is mildly more popular there.

Though honestly, I don't know if I would do an edit anyways; making the new font took 4 hours (!) because of all of the post processing work involved (removing transparant pixels and fixing stuff because just auto-aliasing and stroking it in photoshop just makes it blurry and messy, aligning it to a custom grid to match the Doom Format so that all the casing and kerning isn't messed up, and then converting it to .pcx, and then to a .lmp). Just adding two pixels of extra thickness would again take at least another couple of hours in prep work, you'd be amazed to know.

I've gained a new respect for those that have already created ZDoom Font replacements...

New video showing off the upcoming Druid Upgrades in 0.93!

For the wolf mode, Primary Swipes and punches have a third super punch added after two regular hits. This has huge knockback and good damage. The regular hits also do somewhat more damage. The Secondary Ice Ball spits extra frost novas around it as it flies, and more ice shards fly from it upon eruption (based on its charge level). The Tertiary Slam gains a wider AOE, more knockback, and causes an eruption of small boulders on impact, dealing additional damage all around you.

For the Hebiko Sceptre, Primary Shots become Caduceus twin snake shots for more damage output. The Secondary Hypnosis now lasts longer and can affect higher HP enemies, and it steals somewhat more HP from the target (note: base version now also has a vampiric health steal, which is what this refers to). Finally, the tertiary Gas Grenade gains hypervelocity, turning into a fast Rocket that deploys its gas cloud, and deals extra explosive poison damage on impact, allowing you to wreck havoc at a distance!

Got most of the sprites done for the primary fire of Dagon's Cane today:
Pd5kkJN.png

It's shaping up quite nicely. Not 100% certain it will be in 0.93 release, but hopefully it will.

2 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Got most of the sprites done for the primary fire of Dagon's Cane today:
Pd5kkJN.png

It's shaping up quite nicely. Not 100% certain it will be in 0.93 release, but hopefully it will.

ooh, you're really good at spritework :o

Thanks, though honestly there are way better people than me; there are some truly humbling pieces of work done by some others. I just happen to be a dab hand compositing in photoshop after a decade of making my own wallpapers. XD

New video showing the new monster elites that are going into the bestiary for this upcoming version of Walpurgis!

First up we have the Vrock, a vulture headed elite imp variant that will show up occasionally in Doom. As you can tell, he's a re-sprited version of the Realm 667 bird imp, with a new colour scheme and a much more distinctive beak. He fires off a scary triple spread shot of wind-blades, making him a priority target if he shows up leading a group of regular imps.

Then we have the Steel Golem, partially based on his Hexen II appearance. He'll rarely replace Nitrogolems in Heretic. He's much tougher and slower, and has a jump attack and bouncing spike bombs to throw at the player, making him an expert at harrying you whilst you deal with more dangerous targets.

(I actually didn't expect the golems to start having a slap fight in the video and was laughing during the recording by the way. This is actually a fixed glitch now, in case you were wondering!)

Here's the 0.93 Release!!

Suddenly a release! I was umming and arring about doing even more but I felt that would make things take at least another couple of weeks and require more testing so I figured I'd let this out now. Let me know what you think about Druid Upgrades and their balance, as well as what you think about the new monsters!

Get it HERE from MEGA!
Googledrive Mirror

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

[0.93]
'Suited and Fruited'
--------------------
30/04/2021
+New!:    The Azurinthine Fruit drops for the Druid, allowing her to upgrade:
        >> Wolf-Mode Upgrades added.
            + Primary Swipes and punches have a third super punch added
              after two regular hits. This has huge knockback and good damage.
              The regular hits also do somewhat more damage.
            + Secondary Ice Ball erupts in cold novas it as it flies, and
              additional ice shards fly from it upon eruption (based on its
              charge level).
            + Tertiary Slam gains a wider AOE, more knockback, and causes an
              eruption of small boulders on impact, dealing additional damage
              all around you.
        >> Hebiko Sceptre Upgrades added.
            + Primary Shots become Caduceus twin snake shots for more damage.
            + Secondary Hypnosis now lasts longer and can affect higher HP
              enemies, and it steals somewhat more HP from the target, which
              is now standard behaviour (see Tweak below).
            + Tertiary Gas Grenade gains hypervelocity, turning into a fast
              Rocket that deploys its gas cloud, allowing you to cause havoc
              at a distance!
        >> Right now, the Baselard is not upgrade-ready and will waste your
           Azurinthines so keep that in mind.
+New!:    Brightmaps for everything unique to Walpurgis added. This does not
        cover base iWAD content. If you want to cover base content, I would
        recommend "Brightmaps Plus" by Nightfright (loading it before Walp).
+New!:    The Steel Golem joins the cast of new monsters. He can sometimes spawn
        in the place of Nitrogolems in Heretic. He's much tougher and slower,
        and has a jump attack and bouncing spike bombs to throw at the player,
        making him an expert at harrying you whilst you deal with more dangerous
        targets.
+New!:     The Vrock also joins, a vulture headed elite imp variant that will show
        up occasionally in Doom. He fires off a scary triple spread shot of
        wind-blades, making him a priority target if he shows up leading a
        group of regular imps.
+New!:    New CVAR allows you to toggle whether you want to enable Walpurgis
        Monster Tweaks and whether you want Elite Monster Variants to spawn.
        Read the Walpurgis Options Menu (New Bestiary Section) for info.
+New!:    New Item: Philters of Vitality. This scarlet liquid works like
        a Build game's portable-medikit, giving you HP that you can use to top
        off your HP to your usual class maximum. You can carry up to 200 HP's
        worth, and find it in various sizes. Once you've picked up a least a
        small vial of it, you'll gain a bottle in inventory forever.
+New!:    Fulgur Tertiary Storm Fire gets new firing sprites to replace the
        generic ones from before, and also now has a much better on-impact
        effect when a bolt strikes its target. Deals somewhat more damage
        than before (about 15% more) but also has its cost increased to 12.
        Glitches where it would sometimes do the incorrect impact damage and
        acquire targets wrongly were also fixed, making the damage more reliable.
+New!:    A few extra tweaks to melee sound effects (Baselards make correct wall
        impact noises based on whether stabbing or slashing, new Axe Impact
        sounds to add variety). Also new sound for Vis Force Blasts.
+New!:    DoomEd ID numbers added. Hence, you can now specifically make levels for
        Walpurgis, should you have a fit of madness (lol). This can be achieved
        by loading the Walpurgis pk3 as a resource in Ultimate Doom Builder.
        Should also work with other editors, but this is not tested.
+Tweak:    Druid Hebiko Sceptre Hypnosis now also steals a small amount of HP from the
        foe you are hypnotising. It also has a much better 'swirly' visual effect
        to make it more clear when a monster is fighting for you.
+Tweak:    Druid Wolfmode ground-slam now always knocks foes back and away from
        you when you land, making it less silly to kill yourself by leaping
        into a dangerous pack which then tears you up. Caution should still be
        exercised around heavier monsters like Barons and Mancubi.
+Tweak:    Doom Pinkies/Spectres now have a chance to leap at you, and they also
        attack in melee somewhat faster than before.
+Tweak:    Doom Barons now occasionally fire a more dangerous meteor attack.
+Tweak:    Heretic Nitrogolems flaming skull attack changed to a homing ghost.
        Acts same as before, but now with the same tweaks as the Revenant
        Missile (ceases homing after a few seconds) and with a less annoying
        noise and a white palette. The golems themselves also got a much better
        palette that makes them look metallic rather than blue (lol).  
+Tweak:    Doom Lost Souls now explode into skull pieces on death.
+Tweak:    Tradactus given more HP and given an additional attack: double homing
        ghosts (as now used by the Heretic Nitrogolems). His teleportation
        routine was also vastly improved, making him harder to take down quickly
        (which in turn makes him way more dangerous, and he turns the fight into
        a clusterfuck over time with his summons in the narrow spaces!).
+Tweak: Aestus Primary made slightly tighter (aim-wise) and made to cost just
        1 mana per shot, but in exchange it does about 30% less damage per shot
        to justify its half-price. Before it was a serious mana-hog compared
        to the efficient killing power of Algor.
+Tweak: Aestus Secondary no longer damages you if it detonates point-blank.
+Tweak:    Aestus Whip deals about 15% more damage to justify its slow wind up.
+Tweak:    Various visual tidying up for a few weapon effects (sparklies and embers
        given better Z tracking, Quietus no longer snaps back into place after
        the primary fire, Algor icy clouds made to behave, Wand of Hitscans
        actually uses a proper effect, pitch tracking on charge-ables, etc.)
+Tweak:    Revised Smoke and Steam effects most notable on fire based attacks.
+Tweak:    The Krater of Might gets a new sprite that actually makes it into a
        Krater (a type of fat greek urn) rather than it being a Chalice.
+Tweak: Adjustments to spawners and drop chances for Doom and Heretic so that
        less crazy amounts of Kraters of Might appear (but a little more normal
        mana will drop on occasion instead).
+Fixed:    In Hexen Maps, the Druid wasn't correctly recognised, so weapons and
        weapon pieces for all three classes were dropped (and then replaced!)
        allowing them to collect excess drops and assemble the Ichival far, far
        earlier than they should have been able to normally. Fixed.
+Fixed:    Lightbringers overlay wasn't considered fullbright. Fixed.
+Fixed: Wings of Wrath were being carried between hubs in Hexen. Fixed.
+Fixed: Testmap in Hexen was ignoring the Skybox prompt. Fixed.
+Fixed: Barons and Hellknights in Doom would infight due to a weird leftover
        flag inherited in their fireball's decorative flames code. Fixed.
+Fixed: Doom Sergeant Zombies now have a special drop routine that allows
        them to drop you a slot (2) weapon if you don't have one already.
        Some Doom maps never put a standard weapon drop down assuming you're
        going to get your shotgun off him, so this is for those.
+Fixed:    There is now some limited multiplayer compatibility framework now in place
        in Walpurgis; so that weapons should function fine regardless of which
        player is using them. Spawners are not yet 100% fixed, but some may
        may function to a degree (i.e. you can try it, but I probably need to
        recode all of them in ZScript).

Edited by eharper256 : Edited Links to Hotfix

Indeed! Happy Beltane 2021! Here's a new video to celebrate!

It's me playing the first two levels of Call of the Apostate for Heretic, using the Myrmidon. Pretty interesting Heretic wad that tries to compress the feel of the original 3 episodes down into a single episode and one of my favourites. You get to see some of the newer features in action (i.e. a Steel Golem shows up in Map 2) and I figured it's been awhile since I've done a Heretic related video, so here it is!

@eharper256, short note. Just have tried to run the modification, 0.93 new version, with https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68824 wad and stuck and first location. By some reason doors trigger not working... Perhaps you can take an fast look on it. GzDoom 4.5.0.

For now will stick to https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36663 dilogy - Tower of Chaos Special Edition & A New World (https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47060).

d0acc8536de9t.jpg

I have already played as a druid before. This time chose a mercenary with an ax. It has an interesting feature I see - like the Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, it initially has a second chain attack, which, at a great distance, in turn, allows you to pull enemies closer. In particular, it is quite convenient for battles against cloven-hoofed animals with shields.

Edited by UnknDoomer

For some reason I didn't get a notification of your post UnknDoomer; really weird, sorry for the slow reply.

I didn't have any issues with Penumbra myself when I played it myself ages ago; but looking at it again with 0.93 you're absolutely right. I tried it with 0.92 Walpurgis and there was no problem with the trigger; so this means I cocked up something with the new Monster Spawners and they're not inheriting map flags I guess. I'll look into that, thanks for reporting it.

EDIT: Yes I forgot to pass the Map TID to the newly spawned monster in some cases. I'll create a fixed version and release it today. You can play it fine with 0.92 for now if you want to in the meantime. New 0.93 Hotfix below!

Yep, I love Myrmidon's grappling chain myself, glad you like it!

Edited by eharper256

0.93 Hotfix.
MEGA
GoogleDrive

+Fixed: Fixes an issue with some monster spawners not inheriting the flags
        and TID a map may have given them. Thanks to UnknDoomer for reporting it.

It's recommended you download this hotfix version over regular 0.93 to prevent any strange behaviour with maps that rely on specific monsters dying or activating teleports for progress. All previous links to 0.93 have been changed to this one.

Edited by eharper256

A Wild Official Trailer appears!

This is something I've been meaning to do for ages, but finally got around to it! Lemme know what you think!

Just in off chance someone grabbed the 0.93 Hotfix in the time between its release and this post; sorry you'll have to get it again, the links were updated once more. I had to hotfix the hotfix because I forgot a semi-colon on one line of code. -_-'

Finally got some work done on the last boss of spriting, the Crusaders shiny new Somerspear!
asOwBZj.png
I call it the last boss since I'm not a fan of melee weapon spriting: its usually rough to do swings with enough animation to satisfy my requirements of smoothness (as the blade or pole changes angle in movement considerably more than say, a spellcasting hand, and also needs an accompanying hand alteration). On the other hand, sprite offset movement can more easily make up for some missing frames I guess... so maybe I'm making mountains out of molehills (lol).

Keep in mind the design is not final; I feel like the spear wings are shoddy at the moment, and I may change the head to steel instead of bronze and take out the holes. May also make the shaft metallic rather than wooden.

Spears are always underappreciated in games, aren't they? Despite them being the first proper weapon of humanity; everyone remembers the sword more. What do you think should be in the design?

The Gladius is also progressing well, and Dagon's Cane has two of its fire modes done now (it has 47 frames of animation already!).