Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

If you could pick one thing that source ports have added to Doom, what would it be?

If you could pick one thing that source ports have added to Doom, what would it be?

A modding feature, removed limits, graphics, behaviour change etc etc.

I admit that I am struggling to narrow my personal choice down.

6 minutes ago, Vermil said:

You mean aside from the things they already have?

Or do you mean a new thing/feature?

I don't get it, pick one thing...for what? To have been in vanillia doom? To be in every source port? Your favorite thing that was added in a sourceport?

3 minutes ago, seed said:

ZScript.

^This (or DECORATE). Makes modding so much easier that even a noob modder like me can do things.

Also confused. Not sure if you mean one thing added to doom previous to source ports or one thing that is a favorite feature... or something

3d floors / room over room.

Apologies for the poor explanation. I meant one thing source ports have added/changed over Vanilla Doom?

Generalised actions from boom. Gives more freedom and still keeps intended spirit of vanilla. 

13 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Mapinfo - absolutely no contest here. The most fundamental and most missed feature of them all.

This!

44 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Mapinfo - absolutely no contest here. The most fundamental and most missed feature of them all.

I had been ready to say Boom generalized specials, but it's hard to argue with that.

Loading sprites without a hacky auxiliary program would be a good one too, but arguably that's more of a bug fix (or at least a dumb implementation fix).

There is for me one obvious answer to this question. The ability to run the game on newer operating systems. This trumps all other considerations for me. I love Dosbox but it is not an fantastic platform for playing the game. This is to me much more important than trivial things like extra linedefs in Boom and mapinfo.

12 minutes ago, zokum said:

There is for me one obvious answer to this question. The ability to run the game on newer operating systems. This trumps all other considerations for me. I love Dosbox but it is not an fantastic platform for playing the game. This is to me much more important than trivial things like extra linedefs in Boom and mapinfo.

Well, from this perspective, yes. 

I wasn't sure but I took this as a given thing.

In that case, I want to mention another equally important thing if not more important imo.

And that is mouselook. I mean 'normal' mouselook, without that weird moving-thing you know what I mean?

In the original DOS-Version you could play around with the setup but you could not get rid of this moving-thing. (Is it called mouse turning?)

EDIT: In the infamous Doom 3 BFG Edition for the PC ID included the classic Doom 1 and 2. And despite the flaws in/of this versions they took over the control scheme from your personal settings from Doom 3. And I liked that.

Edited by unidenti7ied

From a utilitarian perspective, conveyor belts may have ended up the most consequential mapping feature in Boom, which was the ur-port for mapping. I wish I had saved an archive of the Doomworld "Pic of the Day" feature because I remember once having an animated GIF of a line of voodoo dolls or something showing off a Boom conveyor belt when it was brand new.

15 minutes ago, Linguica said:

From a utilitarian perspective, conveyor belts may have ended up the most consequential mapping feature in Boom, which was the ur-port for mapping. I wish I had saved an archive of the Doomworld "Pic of the Day" feature because I remember once having an animated GIF of a line of voodoo dolls or something showing off a Boom conveyor belt when it was brand new.

I suppose, but if we're talking about canonizing some port feature as an official part of Doom, why not just have ACS?  Conveyor scripts seem like something that's relevant more because of what port choices support them that don't support an actual scripting language.

For me it's the "quality of life" improvements; better control customization, higher resolution, improved hud, map stats, etc. It may not be as impressive or technical as the editing features that source ports added, but it's what I'm most thankful for.

23 minutes ago, unerxai said:

For me it's the "quality of life" improvements; better control customization, higher resolution, improved hud, map stats, etc. It may not be as impressive or technical as the editing features that source ports added, but it's what I'm most thankful for.

I agree, if I had to play Doom at 320x200 for 5 more minutes my eyes would slide out

I'd choose DECORATE/ACS. Both things are just so incredibly useful when mapping/modding, i just can't overstate it.

As a player though, i'd easily pick truecolor/hardware rendering if high resolutions are involved. I'm probably the odd one out here, but i really dislike the banding and color loss in the darkness present in the carmack renderer.

2 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I suppose, but if we're talking about canonizing some port feature as an official part of Doom, why not just have ACS?

ACS is an official part of Hexen, not Doom. In any event high resolutions and scripting languages in Doom ports were obvious and inevitable, as both were present in Quake. Conveyor belt trick nonsense in maps was an accidental, pragmatic invention that has become quintessentially Doom.

3 hours ago, zokum said:

Uh, Chocolate Doom?

Yes, it's not the original EXE but it's the closest a real Windows port could possibily ever have come.

Having ported old DOS code to Windows several times I can assure you that this cannot be done without some heavy rewrites and in the hands of a commercial developer would have sacrificed everything not deemed essential, resulting in something far less faithful. Chocolate Doom is a far better result than you would ever have gotten from id Software themselves. May I remind you of that disaster called Doom 95?

Either better visuals (i.e. increased resolution) or removed limitations.

15 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Uh, Chocolate Doom?

Yes, it's not the original EXE but it's the closest a real Windows port could possibily ever have come.

Having ported old DOS code to Windows several times I can assure you that this cannot be done without some heavy rewrites and in the hands of a commercial developer would have sacrificed everything not deemed essential, resulting in something far less faithful. Chocolate Doom is a far better result than you would ever have gotten from id Software themselves. May I remind you of that disaster called Doom 95?

It's also been around for a long time. A commercial remaster done in a couple of months cannot hope to compete with a passion project that has seen development for years.

27 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

May I remind you of that disaster called Doom 95?

Wasn’t that gaben&co at microsoft?  Even then, I don’t think it was terrible, just annoying. It was a crucial step in Doom adoption. But I agree Chocolate Doom is the best of all worlds. 

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Uh, Chocolate Doom?

Chocolate Doom is a good example of such a port. Doom 95 wasn't a very good port, more of a tech demo. Some of the others like linuxdoom were pretty decent ports. All the first Doom ports were dos based. Boom, Dosdoom, doom legacy, mbf, smmu, etc. I still hold the cross platform of chocolate doom in higher regard than what those ports brought us.

Ability to use windowed mode. Steam apparently forces me to use fullscreen for a lot of games I've tried (free to play games). I have no idea how that is acceptable.