Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

If you could pick one thing that source ports have added to Doom, what would it be?

Am I allowed to settle for two? -iwad and a -file that merges everything. Pretty much every community source port that matters has these two features. Even Chocolate Doom has the first and is able to simulate the second with "-merge". Without these features, we'd need separate directories for every iwad, maybe even every merged iwad for those too lazy to reverse deusf merging.

Ambient Occlusion. Used to be a software renderer purist until I discovered this feature that makes the textured boxes that make up Doom come alive.

Edited by markanini

Splitscreen.

Most source ports don't support it, but some do as well as many of the console ports.

Playing split screen co-op or deathmatch with my brother with wireless gamepads on a 60 inch 4K TV is so much better than faceless internet play or pain-in-the-ass local network play.

I have to agree with MAPINFO or even just a simplified version of it.

Another would be colored lights

The blockmap collision detection fix. Y'all can have your fancy high resolution and MAPINFO lumps, I just want to stop shooting clear through enemies without hitting them.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, Vermil said:

If you could pick one thing that source ports have added to Doom, what would it be?

PSX Doom TC.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:45 AM, Loud Silence said:

I mean autorun and ability to bind any key to any action.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:36 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

Autorun

You both may know this, but just in case no one has ever been kind enough to tell you, setting joyb_speed to 29 or 31 in DEFAULT.CFG is a super easy way to enable autorun in vanilla.

On 2/3/2020 at 4:41 AM, Graf Zahl said:

May I remind you of that disaster called Doom 95?

Everything you said in this post is totally accurate, but I just want to defend Doom95 as the port that introduced me to higher resolutions. To my ignorant child self, it made The Ultimate Doom feel like a true expansion - a new episode and a higher resolution made the whole thing seem “new” again.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:18 PM, famicommander said:

Splitscreen.

Most source ports don't support it, but some do as well as many of the console ports.

Playing split screen co-op or deathmatch with my brother with wireless gamepads on a 60 inch 4K TV is so much better than faceless internet play or pain-in-the-ass local network play.

I don’t know if I’d caller it better than internet play, but splitscreen is an excellent feature. In bygone years my friends and I used to have big 4-man deathmatches on Doom Legacy using just two old junker PCs. It was fun as hell.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I’m supposed to pick a thing that source ports did.. Definitely gonna go with good Client/Server support.

International Dooming would be way, way less common without it. As tempting as things like freelook, high resolutions, no visplane limits, mapinfo and splitscreen are, I value the ability to play Doom online with a playable/smooth game feel more highly than the others!

14 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

You both may know this, but just in case no one has ever been kind enough to tell you, setting joyb_speed to 29 or 31 in DEFAULT.CFG is a super easy way to enable autorun in vanilla.

I knew this. I just thought that manipulation of useful bug wasn't game's feature.

12 hours ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Removal of autoaim. Nice Challenge there.

If autoaim is removed, then freelook should be added :)

On 2/2/2020 at 11:23 AM, -TDRR- said:

As a player though, i'd easily pick truecolor/hardware rendering if high resolutions are involved. I'm probably the odd one out here, but i really dislike the banding and color loss in the darkness present in the carmack renderer.

I was thinking about this recently and I agree from the opposite perspective. I don't mind the banding/darkness but the limited palette really puts a damper on trying to add graphics to the game. I think just doubling/quadrupling the number of colors in the palette would allow for so much more interesting visuals in software and to me it's one of the most annoying limitations.